In this work, the multiple filtering phenomenon in a photonic crystal made of single-negative (SNG) materials is investigated. We consider a finite photonic crystal (AB)N immersed in air, in which A, B are epsilon-negative (ENG) and mu-negative (MNG) materials, respectively, and N is the stack number. It is found that such a photonic crystal can function as a multichannel transmission filter with a channel number equal to N-1. The required condition is that the thickness of MNG layer must be larger than that of ENG layer when magnetic plasma frequency is greater than electric plasma frequency. The channel frequencies can be red-shifted as the thickness of MNG layer decreases. The channel positions can be tuned by the incidence angle for both TE and TM polarizations. That is, the peak frequency is blue-shifted when the angle of incidence increases. Additionally, the influence of the static permeability of ENG medium and permittivity of MNG medium is also illustrated. The proposed structure can thus be used to design as a tunable multichannel filter which is of technical use in signal processing.
"Design and Analysis of Multichannel Transmission Filter Based on the Single-Negative Photonic Crystal," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 136, 561-578, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER12122202
1. Orfanidis, S. J., Electromagnetic Waves and Antennas, Chapter 7, Rutger University, 2008, www.ece.rutgers.edu/»orfanidi/ewa.
2. Wu, C.-J. and Z.-H. Wang, "Properties of defect modes in one-dimensional photonic crystals," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, 169-184, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10031706
3. Qiao, F., C. Zhang, and J. Wan, "Photonic quantum-well structure: Multiple channeled filtering phenomena," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 77, 3698-3700, 2000. doi:10.1063/1.1330570
4. Liu, J., J. Sun, C. Huang, W. Hu, and D. Huang, "Optimizing the spectral efficiency of photonic quantum well structures," Optik, Vol. 120, 35-39, 2009. doi:10.1016/j.ijleo.2007.06.011
5. Lin, W.-H., C.-J. Wu, T.-J. Yang, and S.-J. Chang, "Terahertz multichanneled filter in a superconducting photonic crystal," Optics Express, Vol. 18, 27155-27166, 2009. doi:10.1364/OE.18.027155
6. Li, C., S. Liu, X. Kong, H. Zhang, B. Bian, and X. Zhang, "A novel comb-like plasma photonic crystal filter in the presence of evanescent wave ," IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, Vol. 39, 1969-1973, 2011. doi:10.1109/TPS.2011.2162653
7. Wu, C.-J., Y.-J. Lee, T.-C. King, and W.-K. Kuo, "A multichannel filter based on the finite plasma photonic crystal," Key Engineering Materials, Vol. 538, 297-300, 2013. doi:10.4028/www.scientific.net/KEM.538.297
8. Hung, H.-C., C.-J. Wu, T.-J. Yang, and S.-J. Chang, "Analysis of tunable multiple-filtering property in a photonic crystal containing strongly extrinsic semiconductor," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 14-15, 2089-2099, 2011. doi:10.1163/156939311798072009
9. Veselago, V. G., "The electrodynamics of substances with simultaneously negative values of ε and μ," Sov. Phys. Usp., Vol. 10, 509-514, 1968. doi:10.1070/PU1968v010n04ABEH003699
10. Feng, T., Y. Li, H. Jiang, W. Li, F. Yang, X. Dong, and H. Chen, "Tunable single-negative metamaterials based on microstrip transmission line with varactor diodes loading," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 35-50, 2011.
11. Lin, W.-H., C.-J. Wu, T.-J. Yang, and S.-J. Chang, "Analysis of dependence of resonant tunneling on static positive parameters in a single-negative bilayer ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 118, 151-165, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11040202
12. Radi, Y., S. Nikmehr, and S. Hosseinzadeh, "A rigorous treatment of vertical dipole impedance located above lossy DPS, MNG, ENG, and DNG half-space," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 116, 107-121, 2011.
13. Petrillo, L., F. Jangal, M. Darces, J.-L. Montmagnon, and M. Hélier, "Negative permittivity media able to propagate a surface wave," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 115, 1-10, 2011.
14. Ng Mou Kehn, M., "Spherical slotted antenna coated with double layer of materials having combinations of singly and doubly negative parameters and consequences of mode resonances," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 45, 223-249, 2012.
15. Liu, C.-H. and N. Behdad, "Theoretical examination of electromagnetic wave tunneling through cascaded ε- and μ-negative metamaterial slabs," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 42, 1-22, 2012.
16. Alu, A. and N. Engheta, "Pairing an epsilon-negative slab with a mu-negative slab: Resonance, tunneling and transparency," IEEE Transactions on Antenna Propagation, Vol. 51, 2558-2571, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.817553
17. Castaldi, G., I. Gallina, V. Galdi, A. Alu, and N. Engheta, "Electromagnetic tunneling through a single-negative slab paired with a double-positive bilayer," Physical Review B, Vol. 83, 081105(R), 2011.
18. Cojocaru, E., "Electromagnetic tunneling in lossless trilayer stacks containing single-negative metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 113, 227-249, 2011.
19. Feng, T., Y. Li, H. Jiang, Y. Sun, L. He, H. Li, Y. Zhang, Y. Shi, and H. Chen, "Electromagnetic tunneling in a sandwich structure containing single negative media," Physical Review E, Vol. 79, 026601, 2009. doi:10.1103/PhysRevE.79.026601
20. Ding, Y. Q., Y. H. Li, H. T. Jiang, and H. Chen, "Electromagnetic tunneling in nonconjugated epsilon-negative and mu-negative metamaterial pair," PIERS Online, Vol. 6, No. 2, 109-112, 2010. doi:10.2529/PIERS091004104845
21. Fredkin, D. R. and A. Ron, "Effective left-handed (negative index) composite material," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 81, 1753-1755, 2002. doi:10.1063/1.1505119
22. Wang, L. G., H. Chen, and S. Y. Zhou, "Omnidirectional gap and defect mode of one-dimensional photonic crystals with single-negative materials," Physical Review B, Vol. 70, 245102, 2004. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.70.245102
23. Yeh, D.-W. and C.-J. Wu, "Analysis of photonic band structure in a one-dimensional photonic crystal containing single-negative material," Optics Express, Vol. 17, 16666-16680, 2009. doi:10.1364/OE.17.016666
24. Yeh, D.-W. and C.-J. Wu, "Thickness-dependent photonic bandgap in a one-dimensional single-negative photonic crystal," Journal of Optical Society of America B, Vol. 26, 1506-1510, 2009. doi:10.1364/JOSAB.26.001506
25. Chen, Y., X. Wang, Z. Yong, Y. Zhang, Z. Chen, L. He, P. F. Lee, H. L. W. Chan, C. W. Leung, and Y. Wang, "Experimental investigation of photonic band gap in one-dimensional photonic crystals with metamaterials," Physics Letters A, Vol. 376, 1396-1400, 2012. doi:10.1016/j.physleta.2012.01.044
26. Lin, W.-H., C.-J. Wu, and S.-J. Chang, "Angular dependence of wave reflection in a lossy single-negative bilayer," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 107, 253-267, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10061606
27. Yeh, P., Optical Waves in Layered Media, John Wiley & Sons, Singapore, 1991.
28. Lin, W.-H., C.-J. Wu, and S.-J. Chang, "Analysis of angle-dependent unusual transmission in lossy single-negative (SNG) materials," Solid State Communications, Vol. 150, 1729-1732, 2010. doi:10.1016/j.ssc.2010.07.035
29. Jiang, H., H. Chen, H. Li, Y. Zhang, J. Zi, and S. Zhou, "Properties of one-dimensional photonic crystals containing single-negative materials," Physical Review E, Vol. 69, 066607, 2004. doi:10.1103/PhysRevE.69.066607
30. Depine, R. A., M. L. Martínez-Ricci, J. A. Monsoriu, E. Silvestre, and P. Andrés, "Zero permeability and zero permittivity band gaps in 1D metamaterial photonic crystals," Physics Letters A, Vol. 364, 352-355, 2007. doi:10.1016/j.physleta.2006.11.093
31. Dong, L., G. Du, H. Jiang, H. Chen, and Y. Shi, "Transmission properties of lossy single-negative materials," Journal of Optical Society of America B, Vol. 26, 1091-1096, 2009. doi:10.1364/JOSAB.26.001091
32. Eleftheriades, G. V., A. K. Iyer, and P. C. Kremer, "Planar negative refractive index media using periodically L-C loaded transmission lines," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Technology, Vol. 50, 2702-2712, 2002. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2002.805197
33. Li, P. and Y. Liu, "Multichannel filtering properties of photonic crystals consisting of single-negative materials," Physics Letters A, Vol. 373, 1870-1873, 2009. doi:10.1016/j.physleta.2009.03.035
34. Rahimi, H., "Backward Tamm states in 1D single-negative metamaterial photonic crystals," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 13, 149-159, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERL09121305
35. Shi, L., S. Wang, C. Tang, and L. Gao, "Omnidirectional surface guided modes from one-dimensional photonic crystal formed by single-negative materials," Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, Vol. 311, 609-613, 2007. doi:10.1016/j.jmmm.2006.08.020
36. Chen, Y., Y. Wang, C. W. Leung, M. Hu, and H. L. W. Chan, "Photonic gap vanishing in one-dimensional photonic crystals with single-negative metamaterials," Physics Letters A, Vol. 375, 2465-2470, 2011. doi:10.1016/j.physleta.2011.04.045
37. Wang, L.-G., H. Chen, and S.-Y. Zhou, "Wave propagation inside one-dimensional photonic crystals with single-negative materials," Physics Letters A, Vol. 350, 410-415, 2006. doi:10.1016/j.physleta.2005.10.070