A new method for broadening the impedance and the axial-ratio (AR) bandwidths of circular polarized microstrip antennas (CPMAs) is proposed. It has improved the bandwidths of a reference antenna greatly without enlarging the antenna size or deteriorating circular polarized radiation characteristics by placing four sequentially rotated parasitic split-ring resonators (SRRs) around the patch of the reference antenna and embedding four defeated ground structure (DGS) elements on the ground plane. Improvements of 51.3% and 49.8% in the impedance and the axial-ratio bandwidths of the antenna are achieved in simulation, respectively. The simulated -10dB impedance and 3dB axial-ratio bandwidths of the antenna have been improved from 101.1 MHz (4.12%) to 153.0 MHz (6.26%) and from 25.1 MHz (1.02%) to 37.6 MHz (1.54%).
"A New Method for Broadening Bandwidths of Circular Polarized Microstrip Antennas by Using DGS & Parasitic Split-Ring Resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 136, 739-751, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER12122811
1. Tsai, C.-L., "A coplanar-strip dipole antenna for broad-band circular polarization operation ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 121, 141-157, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11082407
2. Rezaeieh, S. A. and M. Kartal, "A new triple band circularly polarized square slot antenna design with crooked T and F-shape strips for wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 121, 1-18, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11081506
3. Joseph, R. and T. Fukusako, "Bandwidth enhancement of circularly polarized square slot antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 29, 233-250, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERB11030406
4. Tsai, C.-L., "A coplanar-strip dipole antenna for broadband circular polarization operation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 121, 141-157, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11082407
5. Sze, J.-Y. and S.-P. Pan, "Design of broadband circularly polarized square slot antenna with a compact size," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 513-533, 2011.
6. Carver, K. and J. Mink, "Microstrip antenna technology," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 29, No. 1, 2-24, 1981. doi:10.1109/TAP.1981.1142523
7. Richards, W. and Y. Lo, "Design and theory of circularly polarized microstrip antennas," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 17, 117-120, 1979. doi:10.1109/APS.1979.1148188
8. Tseng, C.-F. and C.-L. Huang, "Compact 2.5 GHz circularly polarized antenna using high permittivity substrate," Asia-Pacific Conference Proceedings, Microwave Conference Proceedings, Vol. 4, 2005.
9. Lam, K. Y., K.-M. Luk, K. F. Lee, H. Wong, and K. B. Ng, "Small circularly polarized U-slot wideband patch antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 87-90, 2011.
10. Khidre, A., K. F. Lee, F. Yang, and A. Eisherbeni, "Wideband circularly polarized E-shaped patch antenna for wireless applications," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 52, No. 5, 219-229, 2010. doi:10.1109/MAP.2010.5687547
12. Chaimool, S., "Simultaneous gain and bandwidths enhancement of a single-feed circularly polarized microstrip patch antenna using a metamaterial reflective surface," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 22, 23-37, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERB10031901
13. Bao, X. L., G. Ruvio, M. J. Ammann, and M. John, "A novel GPS patch antenna on a fractal hi-impedance surface substrate," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 5, No. 1, 323-326, 2006. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2006.878900
14. Ushijima, Y., E. Nishiyama, and M. Aikawa, "Wide band switchable circularly polarized microstrip antenna using double-balanced multiplier," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1-4, 2008.
15. Tang, X., H. Wong, Y. Long, Q. Xue, and K. L. Lau, "Circularly polarized shorted patch antenna on high permittivity substrate with wideband," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 3, 1588-1592, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2180307
16. Chang, T. N. and J.-H. Jiang, "Enhance gain and bandwidth of circularly polarized microstrip patch antenna using gap-coupled method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 96, 127-139, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09081010
17. Kumar, G. and K. C. Gupta, "Nonradiating edges and four edges gap-coupled multiple resonator broad-band microstrip antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 33, No. 2, 173-178, 1985. doi:10.1109/TAP.1985.1143563
18. Wood, C. and B. Sc, "Improved bandwidth of microstrip antennas using parasitic elements," IEE Proceedings H --- Microwaves, Optics and Antennas, Vol. 127, 231-234, 1980. doi:10.1049/ip-h-1.1980.0049
19. Li, R., G. DeJean, J. Laskar, and M. M. Tentzeris, "Investigation of circularly polarized loop antennas with a parasitic element for bandwidth enhancement," IEEE Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 12, 3930-3939, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.859917
20. Baik, J.-W., T.-H. Lee, S. Pyo, S.-M. Han, J. Jeong, and Y.-S. Kim, "Broadband circularly polarized crossed dipole with parasitic loop resonators and its array," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 1, 80-88, 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2090463
21. Wong, K. L., J. S. Kuo, and T. W. Chiou, "Compact microstrip antennas with slots loaded in the ground plane," Eleventh International Conference on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2, 623-626, 2001. doi:10.1049/cp:20010364