In this work, we present a new design of a tunable nanofocusing lens using a circular grating of linear-variant depths and nonlinear-variant widths. Constructive interference of cylindrical surface plasmon launched by the sub-wavelength metallic structure forms a sub-diffraction-limited focus, the focal length can be adjusted by varying the geometry of each groove in the circular grating. According to the numerical calculation, the range of focusing points shift is much more than other plasmonic lens, and the relative phase of emitting light scattered by surface plasmon coupling circular grating can be modulated by the nonlinear-variant width and linear-variant depth. The simulation result indicates that the different relative phase of emitting light lead to variant focal length. We firstly show a unique phenomenon for the linear-variant depths and nonlinear-variant widths of the circular grating that the positive change and negative change of the depths and widths of grooves can result in different of variation trend between relative phases and focal lengths. These results paved the road for utilizing the plasmonic lens in high-density optical storage, nanolithography, super-resolution optical microscopic imaging, optical trapping, and sensing.
Pengfei CaoLin ChengXiaoping ZhangWei-Ping LuWei-Jie KongXue-Wu Liang
, "Far-Field Tunable Nano-Focusing Based on Metallic Slits Surrounded with Nonlinear-Variant Widths and Linear-Variant Depths of Circular Dielectric Grating," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 138, 647-660, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER13011904 http://www.jpier.org/PIER/pier.php?paper=13011904
2. Cao, , P. F., , X. P. Zhang, L. Cheng, and Q. Q. Meng, "Far field imaging research based on multilayer positive- and negative-refractive-index media under off-axis illumination," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 98, 283-298, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09092801
3. Cao, , P. F., , L. Cheng, Y. E. Li, X. P. Zhang, Q. Q. Meng, and W. J. Kong, "Reflectivity and phase control research for superresolution enhancement via the thin flms mismatch," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 107, 365-378, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10061801
4. Monti, , G., L. Tarricone, and , "Negative group velocity in a split ring resonator-coupled microstrip line," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 33-47, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09052801
5. Cao, , P., , X. Zhang, W.-J. Kong, L. Cheng, and H. Zhang, "Superresolution enhancement for the superlens with anti-re°ection and phase control coatings via surface plasmons modes of asymmetric structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research , Vol. 119, 191-206, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11053010
6. Barnes, , W. L. and Surface plasmon, "Surface plasmon subwavelength optics," Nature, Vol. 424, 824-830, 2003. doi:10.1038/nature01937
7. Lezec, , H. J., , A. Degiron, E. Devaux, R. A. Linke, F. Martin, Moreno, L. J. Garcia-Vidal, and T. W. Ebbesen, "Beaming light from a subwavelength aperture," Science, Vol. 297, 820, 2002. doi:10.1126/science.1071895
8. Luo, , Z., , T. Suyama, X. Xu, and Y. Okuno, "A grating based plasmon biosensor with high resolution," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 118, 527-539, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11060103
9. Liu, X., J. Lin, T. F. Jiang, Z. F. Zhu, Q. Q. Zhan, J. Qian, and S. He, "Surface plasmon properties of hollow AuAg alloyed triangular nanoboxes and its applications in SERS imaging and potential drug delivery," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 128, 35-53, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER11112406
10. Ebbesen, , T. W., , H. J. Lezec, H. F. Ghaemi, T. Thio, and P. A. Wolff, "Extraordinary optical transmission through sub-wavelength hole arrays," Nature, Vol. 391, 667-669, 1998. doi:10.1038/35570
11. Kumar, , S., , G. Sharma, and V. Singh, "Sensitivity modulation of surface plasmon resonance sensor configurations in optical fiber waveguide," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 37, 167-176, 2013.
12. Fang, , N. and X. Zhang, "Imaging properties of a metamaterial superlens," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 82, 161-163, 2003. doi:10.1063/1.1536712
13. Shi, , H., C. Wang, C. Du, X. Luo, X. Dong, and H. Gao, "Beam manipulating by metallic nano-slits with variant widths," Optics Express, Vol. 13, No. 18, 6815-6820, 2005. doi:10.1364/OPEX.13.006815
14. Jia, , B., H. Shi, J. Li, Y. Fu, C. Du, and M. Gu, "Near-field visualization of focal depth modulation by step corrugated plasmonic slits," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 94, 151912, 2009. doi:10.1063/1.3120542
15. Shi, , H., C. Du, and X. Luo, "Focal length modulation based on a metallic slit surrounded with grooves in curved depths," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 91, 093111, 2007. doi:10.1063/1.2776875
16. Wang, , J., W. Zhou, and , "Nearfield beam shaping through tuning diffraction coupling angles," Journal of Computational and Theoretical Nanoscience, Vol. 7, No. 6, 1021-1024, 2010. doi:10.1166/jctn.2010.1447
18. Liu, , Z., , J. M. Steele, W. Srituravanich, Y. Pikus, C. Sun, and X. Zhang, "Focusing surface plasmons with a plasmonic lens," Nano Lett., Vol. 5, No. 9, 1726-1729, 2005. doi:10.1021/nl051013j
19. Yin, , L., , V. K. Vlasko-Vlasov, J. Pearson, J. M. Hiller, J. Hua, U. Welp, D. E. Brown, and C. W. Kimball, "Subwavelength focusing and guiding of surface plasmons," Nano Lett.,, Vol. 5, 1399-1402, 2005. doi:10.1021/nl050723m
20. Fu, , Y. Q. and X. G. Luo, "Plasmonic microzone plate: Superfocusing at visible regime," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 91, No. 6, 061124, 2007. doi:10.1063/1.2769942
21. Fu, , Y., C. Du, W. Zhou, and L. E. N. Lim, "Nanopinholes-based optical superlens," Research Letters in Physics, Vol. 2008, 148505, 2008.
22. Zou, D. Q., "Beam adjustment with double subwavelength metal its surrounded by tapered dielectric gratings," Chin. Phys. Lett., Vol. 27, No. 1, 17801, 2010. doi:10.1088/0256-307X/27/1/017801
23. Zhang, M., , J. Du, H. Shi, S. Yin, L. Xia, B. Jia, M. Gu, and C. Du, "Three-dimensional nanoscale far-field focusing of radially polarized light by scattering the SPPs with an annular groove," Optics Express, Vol. 18, No. 14, 14664-14670, 2010. doi:10.1364/OE.18.014664
24. Cheng, , L., P. Cao, Y. Li, W. Kong, X. Zhao, and X. Zhang, "High e±cient far-¯eld nanofocusing with tunable focus under radial polarization illumination," Plasmonics,, Vol. 7, No. 1, 175-184, 2012. doi:10.1007/s11468-011-9291-7
25. Lopez-Tejeira, F., , F. Garcia-Vidal, and L. Martin-Moreno, "Scattering of surface plasmons by one-dimensional periodic nanoindented surfaces," Phys. Rev. B,, Vol. 72, No. 16, 161405, 2005. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.72.161405
26. Nikitin, , A., F. Lopez-Tejeira, and L. Martin-Moreno, "Scattering of surface plasmon polaritons by one dimensional in homogeneities," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 75, No. 3, 35129, 2007. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.75.035129
27. Yu, L., , D. Lin, Y. Chen, Y. Chang, K. Huang, J. Liaw, J. Yeh,J. Liu, C. Yeh, and C. Lee, "Physical origin of directional beaming emitted from a subwavelength slit," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 71, No. 4, 41405, 2005. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.71.041405
28. Lockyear, , M. J., A. P. Hibbins, and J. R. Sambles, "Surfacetopography-induced enhanced transmission and directivity of microwave radiation through a subwavelength circular metal aperture," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 84, 2040-2042, 2004. doi:10.1063/1.1688001
29. Fu, , Y., , W. Zhou, and L. E. N. Lim, "Near-field behavior of zone-plate-like plasmonic nanostructures," JOSA A,, Vol. 25, No. 1, 238-249, 2008. doi:10.1364/JOSAA.25.000238
30. Fu, , Y. and W. Zhou, "Hybrid Au-Ag subwavelength metallic structures with variant periods for superfocusing," J. Nanophoton., Vol. 3, No. 1, 033504, 2009. doi:10.1117/1.3159299
31. Fox, M., Optical Properties of Solids, Oxford Univerity Press, 2001.
32. Lee, , K. H., I. Ahmed, R. S. M. Goh, E. H. Khoo, E. P. Li, and T. G. G. Hung, "Implementation of the FDTD method based on Lorentz-Drude dispersive model on GPU for plasmonics applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 116, 441-456, 2011.
33. Youngworth, , K. and T. Brown, "Focusing of high numerical aperture cylindrical-vector beams," Optics Express, Vol. 7, No. 2, 77-87, 2000. doi:10.1364/OE.7.000077
34. Liu, , Y., , D. F. P. Pile, Z. Liu, D. Wu, C. Sun, and X. Zhang, "Negative group velocity of surface plasmons on thin metallic films," Proc. SPIE, Vol. 6323, 63231M, 2006. doi:10.1117/12.681492
35. Monti, , G. and L. Tarricone, "Negative group velocity in a split ring resonator-coupled microstrip line," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 33-47, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09052801