A shaped-beam series-fed aperture-coupled stacked patch array antenna at X-band is presented. To improve the array bandwidth, two-port aperture-coupled stacked patch antennas, which are suitable for the series-fed array configuration, are presented as the radiating elements. To offer the pattern design and optimization progresses more flexibility, a uniformly spaced array configuration is applied in the shaped-beam pattern design, instead of the conventional nonuniformly spaced array configuration. The experimental results show that, in a 7.6% bandwidth, the main beam shape of the array maintains in good agreement with the design goal, and the side lobe level maintains lower than -18 dB.
"A Shaped-Beam Series-Fed Aperture-Coupled Stacked Patch Array Antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 141, 291-307, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER13052808
1. Deschamps, G. A., "Microstrip microwave antenna," 3rd USAF Symp. on Antennas, 1953.
2. Mailloux, R. J., J. Mcllvenna, and N. Kernweis, "Microstrip array technology," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 29, No. 1, 25-38, Jan. 1981. doi:10.1109/TAP.1981.1142525
3. Daniel, J. P., G. Dubost, C. Terret, J. Citerne, and M. Drissi, "Research on planar antennas and arrays: structures Rayonnantes," IEEE Antennas Propaga. Mag., Vol. 35, No. 1, 14-38, Jan. 1993. doi:10.1109/74.210827
4. Pozar, D. M. and D. H. Schaubert, Microstrip Antennas, the Analysis and Design of Microstrip Antennas and Arrays, IEEE Press, New York, 1995.
5. Hall, P. S. and C. M. Hall, "Coplanar corporate feed effects in microstrip patch array design," IEE Proceedings, Vol. 135, 180-186, Jan. 1988.
6. Metzler, T., "Microstrip series arrays," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 29, No. 1, 174-178, Jan. 1981. doi:10.1109/TAP.1981.1142543
7. Huang, J., "A parallel-series-fed microstrip array with high efficiency and low cross-polarization," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 5, No. 5, 230-233, May 1992. doi:10.1002/mop.4650050509
8. Babas, D. G. and J. N. Sahalos, "Synthesis method of series-fed microstrip antenna arrays," Electronics Letters, Vol. 43, No. 2, Jan. 2007. doi:10.1049/el:20073391
9. Cui, B., J. Zhang, and X. W. Sun, "Single layer microstrip antenna arrays applied in millimeter-wave radar front-end," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 1, 3-15, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308783122797
10. He, Q.-Q. and B.-Z. Wang, "Design of microstrip array antenna by using active element pattern technique combining with Taylor synthesis method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 63-76, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07103006
11. Pozar, D. M. and B. Kaufman, "Design considerations for low sidelobe microstrip arrays," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 38, No. 8, 1176-1185, Aug. 1990. doi:10.1109/8.56953
12. Das, N. K. and D. M. Pozar, "Analysis and design of series-fed arrays of printed dipole proximity-coupled to a perpendicular microstripline," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 37, No. 4, 435-444, Apr. 1989. doi:10.1109/8.24163
13. Jones, B. B., F. Y. M. Chow, and A. W. Seeto, "The synthesis of shaped patterns with series-fed microstrip patch arrays," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 30, No. 6, 1106-1120, Nov. 1982.
14. Gronau, G., H. Moschuring, and I. Wolff, "Microstrip antenna arrays fed from the backside of the substrate," Int. Symp. Antennas Propagat., Kyoto, Japan, 1985.
15. Vetharatnam, G., B. K. Chung, and H. T. Chuah, "Design of a microstrip patch antenna array for airborne SAR applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 19, No. 12, 1687-1701, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939305775537447
16. Pozar, D. M., "A microstrip antenna aperture coupled to a microstrip line,", Vol. 21, 49-50, Jan. 1985.
17. Wu, C., J.Wang, R. Fralich, and J. Litva, "Analysis of a series-fed aperture-coupled patch array antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 4, No. 3, 110-113, Feb. 1991. doi:10.1002/mop.4650040307
18. Vallecchi, A. and G. B. Gentili, "Design of dual-polarized series-fed microstrip arrays with low losses and high polarization purity," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 53, No. 5, 1791-1798, May 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.846732
19. Vallecchi, A. and G. B. Gentili, "A shaped-beam hybrid coupling microstrip planar array antenna for X-band dual polarization airport surveillance radars," EuCAP 2007: European Conf. on Antennas Propagat., 1-7, Nov. 2007.
20. Guarnieri, G., G. Mauriello, G. B. Gentili, and A. Vallecchi, "Modular hybrid architecture for a large aperture circularly polarized shaped-beam antenna," EuMA: 39th European Microwave Conference, 755-758, 2009.
21. Croq, F. and A. Papiernik, "Stacked slot-coupled printed antenna," IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Letters, Vol. 1, 288-290, Oct. 1991.
22. Zhao, F., K. Xiao, W. J. Feng, S. L. Chai, and J. J. Mao, "Design and manufacture of the wide-band aperture-coupled stacked microstrip antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 7, 37-50, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERC09021801
23. Faffoul, G. W. and J. L. Hilburn, "Radiation efficiency of an X band waveguide array," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., 355-357, Mar. 1974.
24. Selleri, S., M. Mussetta, and P. Pirinoli, "Differentiated Meta-PSO methods for array optimization," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 56, No. 1, 67-75, Jan. 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.912942
25. Li, W. T., X. W. Shi, L. Xu, and Y. Q. Hei, "Improved GA and PSO culled hybrid algorithm for antenna array pattern synthesis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 461-476, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07121503
26. Elliott, R. S., Antenna Theory and Design, IEEE Press, New Jersey, 2003.