In this paper, the design of a single-feed triple-band circularly polarized Spidron fractal slot antenna is presented. The proposed antenna is composed of a Spidron fractal slot, a Z-shaped slit, and two L-shaped slits to realize triple-band circular polarization operation. A simple 50 Ω microstrip line is utilized to feed the proposed antenna. A conducting reflector is also used to reduce back radiation, thereby enhancing the forward antenna gain. The proposed antenna has total dimensions of 40.7 mm × 40.7 mm × 18.52 mm (0.42λ × 0.42λ × 0.19λ) and was fabricated and tested. The experimental results show that the proposed antenna has -10 dB reflection coefficient bandwidths from 2.76 GHz to 3.13 GHz and from 3.56 GHz to 6.22 GHz. The measured 3 dB axial ratio bandwidths are 2.28% (3.04-3.11 GHz) for the lower band, 7.15% (4.18-4.49 GHz) for the middle band, and 2.6% (4.93-5.06 GHz) for the upper band. The peak gains within the -10 dB reflection coefficient bandwidths are 3.41 dBic and 6.29 dBic, respectively.
Thuy Nguyen Thi,
Keum Cheol Hwang,
"Single-Feed Triple-Band Circularly Polarized Spidron Fractal Slot Antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 143, 207-221, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER13090501
1. Rao, P. N. and N. V. S. N. Sarma, "Fractal boundary circularly polarised single feed microstrip antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 44, No. 12, 713-714, 2008. doi:10.1049/el:20080706
2. Zarifi, D., H. Oraizi, and M. Soleimani, "Improved performance of circularly polarized antenna using semi-planar chiral metamaterial covers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 123, 337-354, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER11110506
3. Segovia-Vargas, D., F. J. Herraiz-Martinez, E. Ugarte-Munoz, L. E. Garcia-Munoz, and V. Gonzalez-Posadas, "Quad-frequency linearly-polarized and dual-frequency circularly-polarized microstrip patch antennas with CRLH loading," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 133, 91-115, 2013.
4. Deng, J., L. Guo, T. Fan, Z. Wu, Y. Hu, and J. Yang, "Wideband circularly polarized suspended patch antenna with indented edge and gap-coupled feed," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 135, 151-159, 2013.
5. Wang, P., G. Wen, J. Li, Y. Huang, L. Yang, and Q. Zhang, "Wideband circularly polarized UHF RFID reader antenna with high gain and wide axial ratio beamwidths," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 129, 365-385, 2012.
6. Meng, F.-Y., R.-Z. Liu, K. Zhang, D. Erni, Q. Wu, L. Sun, and L.-W. Li, "Automatic design of broadband gradient index metamaterial lens for gain enhancement of circularly polarized antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 141, 17-32, 2013.
7. Li, X., X. Ren, Y. Yin, L. Chen, and Z. Wang, "A wideband twin-diamond-shaped circularly polarized patch antenna with gap-coupled feed," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 139, 15-24, 2013.
8. Lai, X.-Z., Z.-M. Xie, and X.-L. Cen, "Design of dual circularly polarized antenna with high isolation for RFID application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 139, 25-39, 2013.
9. Liu, W., Z. Zhang, and Z. Feng, "A bidirectional circularly polarized array of the same sense based on CRLH transmission line," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 141, 537-552, 2013.
10. Lee, W.-S., K.-S. Oh, and J.-W. Yu, "A wideband circularly polarized pinwheel-shaped planar monopole antenna for wireless applications," J. Electromagn. Eng. Sci., Vol. 12, No. 2, 155-160, 2012. doi:10.5515/JKIEES.2012.12.2.155
11. Ta, S. X., J. J. Han, and I. Park, "Compact circularly polarized composite cavity-backed crossed dipole for GPS applications," J. Electromagn. Eng. Sci., Vol. 13, No. 1, 44-49, 2013. doi:10.5515/JKIEES.2013.13.1.44
12. Bao, X. L. and M. J. Ammann, "Dual-frequency circularly-polarized patch antenna with compact size and small frequency ratio," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 55, No. 7, 2104-2107, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.900271
15. Sun, X., Z. Zhang, and Z. Feng, "Dual-band circularly polarized stacked annular-ring patch antenna for GPS application," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 49-52, 2011.
16. Falade, O. P., M. U. Rehman, Y. Gao, X. Chen, and C. G. Parini, "Single feed stacked patch circular polarized antenna for triple band GPS receivers ," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag. , Vol. 60, No. 10, 4479-4484, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2207354
17. Liao, W., Q.-X. Chu, and S. Du, "Tri-band circularly polarized stacked microstrip antenna for GPS and CNSS applications," Proc. 2010 International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology (ICMMT) , 252-255, 2010. doi:10.1109/ICMMT.2010.5524920
18. Jinghui, Q., L. Hongmei, Y. Caitian, and L. Wei, "A triple-frequency circularly polarized microstrip patch antenna," Proc. IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., 190-193, 2006.
19. Oraizi, H. and S. Hedayati, "Circularly polarized multiband microstrip antenna using the square and Giuseppe Peano fractals," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 60, No. 7, 3466-3470, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2196912
20. Wang, L., Y.-X. Guo, and W. X. Sheng, "A single-feed tri-band circularly polarized dual-annular slot antenna for wireless applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 11--12, 1389-1396, 2012. doi:10.1080/09205071.2012.700888
21. Fujimoto, T. and Y. Tagawa, "Triple band circularly polarized small microstrip antenna," Proc. 2010 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), 1-4, 2010. doi:10.1109/APS.2010.5560958
22. Karmakar, A., R. Ghatak, U. Banerjee, and D. R. Poddar, "An UWB antenna using modified Hilbert curve slot for dual band notch characteristics," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 27, No. 13, 1620-1631, 2013. doi:10.1080/09205071.2013.821676
23. Karmakar, A., S. Verma, M. Pal, and R. Ghatak, "Planar fractal shaped compact monopole antenna for ultrawideband imaging systems," International Journal of Microwave and Optical Technology, Vol. 7, No. 4, 262-267, 2012.
25. Trinh-Van, S., H. B. Kim, G. Kwon, and K. C. Hwang, "Circularly polarized Spidron fractal slot antenna arrays for broadband satellite communications in Ku-band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 137, 203-218, 2013.