We propose a general method to design an arbitrarily shaped radome which can extend the scanning angle of a phased array antenna through finite embedded transformation (FET). The main advantage of our method is that the relationship between the incident angle and steered output angle of the radome can be designed in advance (e.g., a linear relation can be achieved). Unlike a traditional FET, which is often applied onto a slab region, we first apply FET onto an arbitrarily shaped region to bestow the desired radome with an arbitrary shape. Two specific examples have been given to demonstrate our method. Numerical simulations show good performance of our radome.
2. Lam, T. A., C. G. Parazzoli, and M. H. Tanielian, "Negative index metamaterial lens for the scanning angle enhancement of phased array antennas," Metamaterials and Plasmonics: Fundamentals, Modeling, Applications, S. Zouhdi, A. Sihvola, and A. Vinogradov (eds.), 121-138, Springer-Verlag, New York, 2008.
3. Lam, T. A., D. C. Vier, J. A. Nielsen, C. G. Parazzoli, and M. H. Tanielian, "Steering phased array antenna beams to the horizon using a buckyball NIM lens," Proceedings of IEEE, Vol. 99, No. 10, 1755-1767, 2011. doi:10.1109/JPROC.2011.2128290
4. Leonhardt, U. and T. G. Philbin, Geometry and Light: Science of Invisibility, Dover, 2010.
5. Pendry, J. B., D. Schurig, and D. R. Smith, "Controlling electromagnetic fields," Science, Vol. 312, No. 5781, 1780-1782, 2006. doi:10.1126/science.1125907
7. Sun, F. and S. He, "Create a uniform static magnetic field over 50T in a large free space region," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 137, 149-157, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER13012802
8. Sun, F. and S. He, "DC magnetic concentrator and omnidirectional cascaded cloak by using only one or two homogeneous anisotropic materials of positive permeability," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 142, 683-699, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER13092509
9. Sun, F. and S. He, "Novel magnetic lens for static magnetic field enhancement," PIERS Proceedings, 1689-1691, Stockholm, Sweden, Aug. 12-15, 2013.
10. Sun, F. and S. He, "Static magnetic field concentration and enhancement using magnetic materials with positive permeability," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 142, 579-590, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER13082102
11. Chen, H., C. T. Chan, and P. Sheng, "Transformation optics and metamaterials," Nature Materials, Vol. 9, No. 5, 387-396, 2010. doi:10.1038/nmat2743
12. Rahm, M., D. Schurig, D. A. Roberts, S. A. Cummer, D. R. Smith, and J. B. Pendry, "Design of electromagnetic cloaks and concentrators using form-invariant coordinate transformations of Maxwell's equations," Photonics Nanostruct. Fundam. Appl., Vol. 6, 87-95, 2008. doi:10.1016/j.photonics.2007.07.013
13. Chen, H. and C. T. Chan, "Transformation media that rotate electromagnetic fields," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 90, 241105, 2007. doi:10.1063/1.2748302
14. Rahm, M., S. A. Cummer, D. Schurig, J. B. Pendry, and D. R. Smith, "Optical design of re°ectionless complex media by ¯nite embedded coordinate transformations," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 100, 063903, 2008. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.100.063903
15. Garcia-Meca, C., M. M. Tung, J. V. Galan, R. Ortuno, F. J. Rodriguez-Fortuno, J. Marti, and A. Martinez, "Squeezing and expanding light without reflections via transformation optics," Opt. Express, Vol. 19, No. 4, 3562-3575, 2011. doi:10.1364/OE.19.003562
16. Kwon, D. H. and D. H. Werner, "Polarization splitter and polarization rotator designs based on transformation optics," Opt. Express, Vol. 16, No. 23, 18731-18738, 2008. doi:10.1364/OE.16.018731
17., "The finite element simulation is conducted by using commercial software COMSOL Multiphysics,", http://www.comsol.com/. doi:10.1364/OE.16.018731
18. Hu, J., X. Zhou, and G. Hu, "Design method for electromagnetic cloak with arbitrary shapes based on Laplace's equation," Opt. Express, Vol. 17, 1308-1320, 2009. doi:10.1364/OE.17.001308
19. Amitay, N., V. Galindo, and C. P. Wu, Theory and Analysis of Phased Array Antennas, Wiley-Interscience, 1972.