A novel dual frequency microstrip antenna with low radar cross section (RCS) is proposed in thispaper. Compared with the traditional microstrip antenna, the novelmicrostrip antenna loaded complementary split-ring resonators (CSRRs) has a low RCS. The novel and traditional dual-frequency microstrip antennas with the center frequency of 3.4 GHz and 5 GHz are designed and fabricated. The results demonstrate that the monostatic RCS of the proposed antenna has beenwell reduced. The RCS reduction at 5 GHz is as much as 17 dB. Besides,in the case of the φ-polarized incident wave, the RCS reduction can be achieved in the angular ranges of -90°≤θ≤+90° in xoz-plane and yoz-plane. At the same time, the CSRRs cause no obvious deterioration in radiation performance.
1. Liu, Y., S. Gong, and H. Zhang, "A novel fractal slot microstrip antenna with low RCS," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 2603-2606, 2006.
2. Jia, Y., Y. Liu, S. Gong, T. Hong, and D. Yu, "Printed UWB end-fire Vivaldi antenna with low RCS," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 37, 11-20, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERL12112011
3. Li, R., Z. Niu, and R. Lin, "A novel method for the RCS reduction of conformal microstrip antenna," Cross Strait Quad-regional Radio Science and Wireless Technology Conference (CSQRWC), 2011, Vol. 1, 516-519, IEEE, 2011.
4. Zhang, J., J. Wang, M. Chen, and Z. Zhang, "RCS reduction of patch array antenna by electromagnetic band-gap structure," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 1048-1051, 2010. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2012.2215832
5. Ding, J., C. Cheng, and C. Guo, "A method for microstrip antenna RCS reduction," Computer Simulation, Vol. 25, No. 9, 130-133, 2008.
6. Li, Y., H. Zhang, Y. Fu, and N. Yuan, "RCS reduction of ridged waveguide slot antenna array using EBG radar absorbing material," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 7, 473-476, 2008.
7. Pendry, J., "Magnetism from conductors and enhanced nonlinear phenomena," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 47, No. 11, 2075-2084, 1999. doi:10.1109/22.798002
8. Baee, R., G. Dadashzadeh, and F. Kharakhili, "Using of CSRR and its equivalent circuit model in size reduction of microstrip antenna," Asia-Paci¯c Microwave Conference, 1-4, 2007.