Microwave staring correlated imaging (MSCI) is a super-resolution imaging technique based on temporal-spatial stochastic radiation fields (TSSRFs), which requires an accurate calculation of the electromagnetic field at the imaging plane. However, systematic errors always exist in practice, such as the time synchronization and frequency synchronization errors of radar systems, which make it difficult to calculate the required TSSRFs accurately, and this deteriorates the imaging results. Meanwhile, some imaging algorithms have problems such as high computational complexity. In this paper, an intelligent MSCI method based on the deep neural network (DNN) is proposed, which can accomplish imaging directly from the echoes, avoiding the computation of TSSRFs. A multi-level residual convolutional neural network (MRCNN) is developed for the DNN, and simulations and experiments are carried out to obtain the dataset for training and testing the MRCNN. Compared with the conventional MSCI methods, the imaging results verify the effectiveness of intelligent MSCI in terms of imaging quality and computational efficiency.
Shi Lu Zhang,
"Intelligent Microwave Staring Correlated Imaging," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 176, 109-128, 2023. doi:10.2528/PIER22091907
1. Dunkel, R., R. Saddler, and A. Doerry, "Synthetic aperture radar for disaster monitoring," Radar Sensor Technology XV, 125-134, 2011.
2. Madsen, S., W. Edelstein, L. D. DiDomenico, and J. LaBrecque, "A geosynchronous synthetic aperture radar; for tectonic mapping, disaster management and measurements of vegetation and soil moisture," IEEE 2001 International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS), Vol. 1, 447-449, 2001.
3. Deng, B., Y. Qin, Y. Li, H. Wang, and X. Li, "A novel approach to range doppler SAR processing based on legendre orthogonal polynomials," IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, Vol. 6, No. 1, 13-17, 2008. doi:10.1109/LGRS.2008.2006572
4. Zhu, Y., Y. Su, and W. Yu, "An ISAR imaging method based on MIMO technique," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 48, No. 8, 3290-3299, 2010. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2010.2045230
5. Guo, Y., D. Wang, X. He, and B. Liu, "Super-resolution staring imaging radar based on stochastic radiation fields," 2012 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Workshop Series on Millimeter Wave Wireless Technology and Applications, 1-4, 2012.
6. Li, D., X. Li, Y. Qin, Y. Cheng, and H. Wang, "Radar coincidence imaging: An instantaneous imaging technique with stochastic signals," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 52, No. 4, 2261-2277, 2013.
7. Xu, X., X. Zhou, Y. Cheng, and Y. Qin, "Radar coincidence imaging with array position error," 2015 IEEE International Conference on Signal Processing, Communications and Computing (ICSPCC), 1-4, 2015.
8. Zhou, X., H. Wang, Y. Cheng, and Y. Qin, "Sparse auto-calibration for radar coincidence imaging with gain-phase errors," Multidisciplinary Digital Publishing Institute, Vol. 15, No. 11, 27611-27624, 2015.
9. Zhou, X., H. Wang, and Y. Cheng, "Expansion-compression variance-component-based autofocusing method for joint radar coincidence imaging and gain-phase error calibration," SPIE, Vol. 11, No. 2, 025002, 2017.
10. Cao, K., X. Zhou, Y. Cheng, and Y. Qin, "Improved focal underdetermined system solver method for radar coincidence imaging with model mismatch," Journal of Electronic Imaging, Vol. 26, No. 3, 033001, 2017. doi:10.1117/1.JEI.26.3.033001
11. Cao, K., X. Zhou, Y. Cheng, B. Fan, and Y. Qin, "Total variation-based method for radar coincidence imaging with model mismatch for extended target," Journal of Electronic Imaging, Vol. 26, No. 6, 063007, 2017. doi:10.1117/1.JEI.26.6.063007
12. He, X., B. Liu, S. Chai, and D. Wang, "A novel approach of high spatial-resolution microwave staring imaging," Conference Proceedings of 2013 Asia-Pacific Conference on Synthetic Aperture Radar (APSAR), 75-78, 2013.
13. Meng, Q., B. Liu, C. Tian, Y. Guo, and D. Wang, "Correlation algorithm of microwave staring correlated imaging based on multigrid and CGLS," 2015 IEEE International Conference on Communication Problem-Solving (ICCP), 359-362, 2015.
14. Yu, H., G. H. Lu, and H. L. Zhang, "Adaptive sparse recovery of moving targets for distributed MIMO radar," Advanced Materials Research, Vol. 933, 450-455, Trans. Tech. Publ., 2014.
15. Lou, G. and H. Shi, "Face image recognition based on convolutional neural network," China Communications, Vol. 17, No. 2, 117-124, 2020. doi:10.23919/JCC.2020.02.010
16. Shen, W. and W. Wang, "Node identification in wireless network based on convolutional neural network," 2018 14th International Conference on Computational Intelligence and Security (CIS), 238-241, 2018.
17. Goodfellow, I., J. Pouget-Abadie, M. Mirza, B. Xu, D. Warde-Farley, S. Ozair, A. Courville, and Y. Bengio, "Generative adversarial nets," Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems, Vol. 27, 2014.
18. Ledig, C., et al., "Photo-realistic single image super-resolution using a generative adversarial network," Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, 4681-4690, 2017.
19. Long, J., E. Shelhamer, and T. Darrell, "Fully convolutional networks for semantic segmentation," Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, 3431-3440, 2015.
20. Girshick, R., J. Donahue, T. Darrell, and J. Malik, "Rich feature hierarchies for accurate object detection and semantic segmentation," Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, 580-587, 2014.
21. Milletari, F., N. Navab, and S.-A. Ahmadi, "V-net: Fully convolutional neural networks for volumetric medical image segmentation," 2016 Fourth International Conference on 3D Vision (3DV), 565-571, 2016. doi:10.1109/3DV.2016.79
22. Niu, S., X. Qiu, L. Peng, and B. Lei, "Parameter prediction method of SAR target simulation based on convolutional neural networks," EUSAR 2018; 12th European Conference on Synthetic Aperture Radar, 1-5, 2018.
23. Shao, W. and Y. Du, "Microwave imaging by deep learning network: Feasibility and training method," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 68, No. 7, 5626-5635, 2020. doi:10.1109/TAP.2020.2978952
24. Li, L., Y. Shuang, Q. Ma, H. Li, H. Zhao, M. Wei, C. Liu, C. Hao, C.-W. Qiu, and T. J. Cui, "Intelligent metasurface imager and recognizer," Light: Science & Applications, Vol. 8, No. 1, 1-9, 2019. doi:10.1038/s41377-018-0109-7
25. Li, H.-Y., H.-T. Zhao, M.-L. Wei, H.-X. Ruan, Y. Shuang, T. J. Cui, P. Del Hougne, and L. Li, "Intelligent electromagnetic sensing with learnable data acquisition and processing," Patterns, Vol. 1, No. 1, 100006, 2020. doi:10.1016/j.patter.2020.100006
26. Xing, Y., L. Zhong, and X. Zhong, "An encoder-decoder network based FCN architecture for semantic segmentation," Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing, Vol. 2020, 2020.
27. Deng, L., "The mnist database of handwritten digit images for machine learning research [best of the web]," IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, Vol. 29, No. 6, 141-142, 2012. doi:10.1109/MSP.2012.2211477
28. He, K., X. Zhang, S. Ren, and J. Sun, "Deep residual learning for image recognition," Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, 770-778, 2016.
29. Hunt, J., T. Driscoll, A. Mrozack, G. Lipworth, M. Reynolds, D. Brady, and D. R. Smith, "Metamaterial apertures for computational imaging," Science, Vol. 339, No. 6117, 310-313, 2013. doi:10.1126/science.1230054
30. Sleasman, T., M. Boyarsky, M. F. Imani, J. N. Gollub, and D. R. Smith, "Design considerations for a dynamic metamaterial aperture for computational imaging at microwave frequencies," JOSA B, Vol. 33, No. 6, 1098-1111, 2016. doi:10.1364/JOSAB.33.001098
31. Imani, M. F., T. Sleasman, and D. R. Smith, "Two-dimensional dynamic metasurface apertures for computational microwave imaging," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 17, No. 12, 2299-2303, 2018. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2018.2873131
32. Hoang, T. V., V. Fusco, T. Fromenteze, and O. Yurduseven, "Computational polarimetric imaging using two-dimensional dynamic metasurface apertures," IEEE Open Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2, 488-497, 2021. doi:10.1109/OJAP.2021.3069320
33. Sleasman, T. A., M. F. Imani, A. V. Diebold, M. Boyarsky, K. P. Trofatter, and D. R. Smith, "Implementation and characterization of a two-dimensional printed circuit dynamic metasurface aperture for computational microwave imaging," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 69, No. 4, 2151-2164, 2020. doi:10.1109/TAP.2020.3027188