In this contribution, a two step strategy for the inversion of amplitude-only data in microwave imaging applications is analyzed. At the first step of the proposed method, the illuminating source is synthesized according to a line sources model in order to compute the incident field in the investigation domain starting from the values available in the measurement domain. The second step is aimed at reconstructing the profile of the objects under test thanks to the iterative multi-scaling approach integrated with the Particle Swarm Optimizer, an effective evolutionary minimization technique. The reconstruction accuracy of the proposed phaseless retrieval strategy is analyzed using synthetic data concerned with a multiple scatterer configuration and successively further assessed inverting experimental data.
2. Guo, B., Y. Wang, J. Li, P. Stoica, and R. Wu, "Microwave imaging via adaptive beamforming methods for breast cancer detection," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, 53-63, 2006.
3. Salman, A. O., S. Gavrilov, and A. Vertiy, "Subsurface microwave imaging by using angular spectrum of electromagnetic field," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 16, 1511-1529, 2002.
4. Bucci, O. M. and G. Franceschetti, "On the degrees of freedom of scattered fields," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 37, 918-926, 1989.
5. Bucci, O. M. and T. Isernia, "Electromagnetic inverse scattering: Retrievable information and measurements strategies," Radio Sci., Vol. 32, 2123-2138, 1997.
6. Wolf, E., "Determination of the amplitude and the phase of the scattered fields by holography," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 60, 18-20, 1970.
7. Faris, G. W. and H. M. Hertz, "Tunable differential interferometer for optical tomography," Appl. Opt., Vol. 28, 4662-4667, 1989.
8. Caorsi, S., A. Massa, M. Pastorino, and A. Randazzo, "Electromagnetic detection of dielectric scatterers using phaseless synthetic and real data and the memetic algorithm," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sensing, Vol. 41, 2745-2753, 2003.
9. Takenaka, T., D. J. N. Wall, H. Harada, and M. Tanaka, "Reconstruction algorithm of the refractive index of a cylindrical object from the intensity measurements of the total field," Microwave Optical Technol. Lett., Vol. 14, 182-188, 1997.
10. Maleki, M. H., A. J. Devaney, and A. Schatzberg, "Phase retrieval and intensity-only reconstruction algorithms from optical diffraction tomography," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 10, 1086-1092, 1993.
11. Crocco, L., M. D'Urso, and T. Isernia, "Inverse scattering from phaseless measurements of the total field on a closet curve," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 21, 622-630, 2004.
12. Franceschini, G., M. Donelli, R. Azaro, and A. Massa, "Inversion of phaseless total field data using a two-step strategy based on the iterative multiscaling approach," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sensing, Vol. 44, 3527-3539, 2006.
13. Caorsi, S., M. Donelli, and A. Massa, "Detection, location, and imaging of multiple scatterers by means of the iterative multiscaling method," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 52, 1217-1228, 2004.
14. Caorsi, S., M. Donelli, D. Franceschini, and A. Massa, "A new methodology based on an iterative multiscaling for microwave imaging," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 51, 1162-1173, 2003.
15. Robinson, J. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Particle swarm optimization in electromagnetics," IEEE Trans. on Antennas Propagat., Vol. 52, 771-778, 2004.
16. Kennedy, J., R. C. Eberhart, and Y. Shi, Swarm Intelligence, Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, San Francisco, 2001.
17. Donelli, M. and A. Massa, "Computational approach based on a particle swarm optimizer for microwave imaging of two-dimensional dielectric scatterers," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 53, 1761-1776, 2005.
18. Belkebir, K. and M. Saillard, "Special issue on testing inversion algorithms against experimental data: Inhomogeneous targets," Inverse Problems, Vol. 21, 1-3, 2005.
19. Tortel, H., G. Micolau, and M. Saillard, "Decomposition of the time reversal operator for electromagnetic scattering," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 13, 687-719, 1999.
20. Zhong, X. M., C. Liao, W. Chen, Z. B. Yang, Y. Liao, and F. B. Meng, "Image reconstruction of arbitrary cross section conducting cylinder using UWB pulse," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, 25-34, 2007.
21. Chen, X., D. Liang, and K. Huang, "Microwave imaging 3-D buried objects using parallel genetic algorithm combined with FDTD technique," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, 1761-1774, 2006.
22. Wei, C., "Inverse scattering of an un-uniform conductivity scatterer buried in a three-layer structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 1-18, 2008.
23. Takenaka, T., H. Jia, and T. Tanaka, "Microwave imaging of electrical property distributions by a forward-backward timestepping method," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 14, 1609-1625, 2000.
24. Franceschini, D., M. Donelli, P. Rocca, M. Benedetti, A. Massa, and M. Pastorino, "Morphological processing of electromagnetic scattering data for enhancing the reconstruction accuracy of the iterative multi-scaling approach ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 299-318, 2008.
25. Caorsi, S., M. Donelli, A. Lommi, and A. Massa, "Location and imaging of two-dimensional scatterers by using a particle swarm algorithm," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 18, No. 4, 481-494, 2004.
26. Huang, C.-H., C.-C. Chiu, C.-L. Li, and K.-C. Chen, "Time domain inverse scattering of a two-dimensional homogenous dielectric object with arbitrary shape by particle swarm optimization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 381-400, 2008.