The near-field surrounding devices can be arbitrarily sculpted if they are placed inside a spatially variant anisotropic metamaterial (SVAM). Our SVAMs are low loss because they do not contain metals and are extraordinarily broadband, working from DC up to a cutoff. In the present work, a microstrip transmission line was isolated from a metal object placed in close proximity by embedding it in an SVAM so that the field avoided the object. Our paper begins by outlining a simple finite-difference modeling approach for studying transmission lines embedded in SVAMs. We then present our design and experimental results to confirm the concept.
2. Gravelle, L. B. and P. F. Wilson, "EMI/EMC in printed circuit boards - A literature review," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 34, No. 2, 109-116, 1992.
3. Hill, D. A., K. H. Cavcey, and R. T. Johnk, "Crosstalk between microstrip transmission lines," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 36, No. 4, 314-321, 1994.
4. Isaacs, Jr., J. and N. Strakhov, "Crosstalk in uniformly coupled lossy transmission lines," Bell Syst. Tech. J., Vol. 52, 101-115, 1973.
5. Xiao, F., W. Liu, and Y. Kami, "Analysis of crosstalk between finite-length microstrip lines: FDTD approach and circuit-concept modeling," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 43, No. 4, 573-578, 2001.
6. Kim, J. H. and D. C. Park, "A simple method of crosstalk reduction by metal filled via hole fence in bent transmission lines on PCBs," 17th International Zurich Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, EMC-Zurich 2006, 363-366, 2006.
7. Ponchak, G. E., D. Chun, J.-G. Yook, and L. P. Katehi, "Experimental verification of the use of metal filled via hole fences for crosstalk control of microstrip lines in LTCC packages," IEEE Transactions on Advanced Packaging, Vol. 24, No. 1, 76-80, 2001.
8. Sharma, R. Y., T. Chakravarty, and A. B. Bhattacharyya, "Transient analysis of microstrip-like interconnections guarded by ground tracks," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 189-202, 2008.
9. Mallahzadeh, A. R., A. Ghasemi, S. Akhlaghi, B. Rahmati, and R. Bayderkhani, "Crosstalk reduction using step shaped transmission line," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 12, 139-148, 2010.
10. Wu, J. H., J. Scholvin, J. A. del Alamo, and K. A. Jenkins, "A Faraday cage isolation structure for substrate crosstalk suppression," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 11, 410-412, 2001.
11. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, Electromagnetic Metamaterials: Transmission Line Theory and Microwave Applications, Wiley-IEEE Press, 2005.
12. Capolino, F., Theory and Phenomena of Metamaterials, 1st edition, CRC Press LLC, 2009.
13. Garcia, C. R., J. Correa, D. Espalin, J. H. Barton, R. C. Rumpf, R. Wicker, and V. Gonzalez, "3D printing of anisotropic metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 34, 75-82, 2012.
14. Khurgin, J. B. and G. Sun, "Scaling of losses with size and wavelength in nanoplasmonics and metamaterials," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 99, 211106-1-211106-3, 2011.
15. Ponizovskaya, E., M. Nieto-Vesperinas, and N. Garcia, "Losses for microwave transmission in metamaterials for producing left-handed materials: The strip wires," Applied physics Letters, Vol. 81, No. 23, 4470-4472, 2002.
16. Rumpf, R. C., Design and Optimization of Nano-optical Elements by Coupling Fabrication to Optical Behavior, University of Central Florida, 2006.
17. Rumpf, R. C., "Simple implementation of arbitrarily shaped total-field/scattered-field regions in finite-difference frequency-domain," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 36, 221-248, 2012.
18. Poh, S., W. Chew, and J. Kong, "Approximate formulas for line capacitance and characteristic impedance of microstrip line," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 29, No. 2, 135-142, 1981.
19. Niklasson, G. A., C. Granqvist, and O. Hunderi, "Effective medium models for the optical properties of inhomogeneous materials," Applied Optics, Vol. 20, No. 1, 26-30, 1981.
20. Jaeger, H. M. and S. R. Nagel, "Physics of the granular state," Science, Vol. 255, No. 5051, 1523-1531, 1992.
21. Aspnes, D., "Local-field effects and effective-medium theory: A microscopic perspective," American Journal of Physics, Vol. 50, No. 8, 704, 1982.
22. Guo, S. and S. Albin, "Simple plane wave implementation for photonic crystal calculations," Optics Express, Vol. 11, No. 2, 167-175, 2003.
23. Johnson, S. G. and J. D. Joannopoulos, "Block-iterative frequency-domain methods for Maxwell's equations in a planewave basis," Optics Express, Vol. 8, No. 3, 173-190, 2001.
24. Pendry, J. B., D. Schurig, and D. R. Smith, "Controlling electromagnetic fields," Science, Vol. 312, No. 5781, 1780-1782, 2006.
25. Rumpf, R. C. and J. Pazos, "Synthesis of spatially variant lattices," Optics Express, Vol. 20, No. 14, 15263-15274, 2012.