Objective: In this paper we present a study of a novel method to noninvasively monitor temperature noninvasively during thermotherapy, for instance, in cancer treatment using M-sequence radar technology. The main objective is to investigate the temperature dependence of reflectivity in UWB radar signal in gelatine phantoms using electrically small antennas. Methods: The phantom was locally heated up, and consequently changes of signal reflectivity were observed. Results: An approximate linear relationship between temperature change and reflectivity variations was formulated. To show the potential of this approach we used an M-sequence MIMO radar system. The system was tested on breast-shape phantom with local heating by circulating water of controlled temperature. For two dimensional imaging the Delay and Sum algorithm was implemented for two-dimensional imaging. Significance: The article is a study of temperature measurement using UWB radar system for possible usage in thermotherapy.
"Microwave Non-Invasive Temperature Monitoring Using UWB Radar for Cancer Treatment by Hyperthermia," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 162, 1-14, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIER17111609
4. Wlodarczyk, W., M. Hentschel, P. Wust, R. Noeske, N. Hosten, H. Rinneberg, and R. Felix, "Comparison of four magnetic resonance methods for mapping small temperature changes," Phys. Med. Biol., Vol. 44, No. 2, 607-624, Feb. 1999. doi:10.1088/0031-9155/44/2/022
5. Klemetsen, Ø. and S. Jacobsen, "Improved radiometric performance attained by an elliptical microwave antenna with suction," IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 59, No. 1, 263-271, Jan. 2012. doi:10.1109/TBME.2011.2172441
6. Dubois, L., J.-P. Sozanski, V. Tessier, J.-C. Camart, J.-J. Fabre, J. Pribetich, and M. Chive, "Temperature control and thermal dosimetry by microwave radiometry in hyperthermia," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 44, No. 10, 1755-1761, Oct. 1996. doi:10.1109/22.539932
7. Karathanasis, K. T., I. A. Gouzouasis, I. S. Karanasiou, and N. K. Uzunoglu, "Experimental study of a hybrid microwave radiometry-hyperthermia apparatus with the use of an anatomical head phantom," IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in Biomedicine, Vol. 16, No. 2, 241-247, Mar. 2012. doi:10.1109/TITB.2012.2187301
8. Arthur, R. M., W. L. Straube, J. W. Trobaugh, and E. G. Moros, "Non-invasive estimation of hyperthermia temperatures with ultrasound," International Journal of Hyperthermia, Vol. 21, No. 6, 589-600, Sep. 2005. doi:10.1080/02656730500159103
9. Meaney, P. M., T. Zhou, M. W. Fanning, S. D. Geimer, and K. D. Paulsen, "Microwave thermal imaging of scanned focused ultrasound heating: Phantom results," International Journal of Hyperthermia, Vol. 24, No. 7, 523-536, Jan. 2008. doi:10.1080/02656730801944922
10. Meaney, P. M., K. D. Paulsen, M. W. Fanning, D. Li, and Q. Fang, "Image accuracy improvements in microwave tomographic thermometry: Phantom experience," International Journal of Hyperthermia, Vol. 19, No. 5, 534-550, Jan. 2003. doi:10.1080/0265673031000082386
11. Meaney, P. M., et al., "Microwave thermal imaging: Initial in vivo experience with a single heating zone," International Journal of Hyperthermia, Vol. 19, No. 6, 617-641, 2003. doi:10.1080/0265673031000140822
12. Haynes, M., J. Stang, and M. Moghaddam, "Real-time microwave imaging of differential temperature for thermal therapy monitoring," IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 61, No. 6, 1787-1797, Jun. 2014. doi:10.1109/TBME.2014.2307072
13. Fiser, O., M. Helbig, S. Ley, J. Sachs, and J. Vrba, "Feasibility study of temperature change detection in phantom using M-sequence radar," 2016 10th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 1-4, 2016.
14. Miyakawa, M., "Tomographic measurement of temperature change in phantoms of the human body by chirp radar-type microwave computed tomography," Med. Biol. Eng. Comput., Vol. 31 Suppl, No. S1, S31-6, Jul. 1993.
15. Bertero, M., M. Miyakawa, P. Boccacci, F. Conte, K. Orikasa, and M. Furutani, "Image restoration in chirp-pulse microwave CT (CP-MCT)," IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 47, No. 5, 690-699, May 2000. doi:10.1109/10.841341
16. Bolomey, J.-C., C. Durix, and D. Lesselier, "Determination of conductivity profiles by time-domain reflectometry," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 27, No. 2, 244-248, Mar. 1979. doi:10.1109/TAP.1979.1142067
18. Lazebnik, M., M. C. Converse, J. H. Booske, and S. C. Hagness, "Ultrawideband temperaturedependent dielectric properties of animal liver tissue in the microwave frequency range," Phys. Med. Biol., Vol. 51, No. 7, 1941-1955, Apr. 2006. doi:10.1088/0031-9155/51/7/022
19. Kato, H., M. Hiraoka, and T. Ishida, "An agar phantom for hyperthermia," Medical Physics, Vol. 13, No. 3, 396-398, May 1986. doi:10.1118/1.595882
20. Ellison, W. J., "Permittivity of pure water, at standard atmospheric pressure, ver the frequency range 0–25 THz and the temperature range 0–100◦C," Journal of Physical and Chemical Reference Data, Vol. 36, No. 1, 1-18, 2007. doi:10.1063/1.2360986
21. Ley, S., O. Fiser, I. Merunka, J. Vrba, J. Sachs, and M. Helbig, "Preliminary investigations for reliable temperature dependent UWB dielectric spectroscopy of tissues and tissue mimicking phantom materials," European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), London, Apr. 2018.
22. Helbig, M., J. Sachs, F. Tansi, I. Hilger, "Experimental feasibility study of contrast agent enhanced UWB breast imaging by means of M-sequence sensor systems," 2014 8th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 311-315, 2014. doi:10.1109/EuCAP.2014.6901755
23. Lazebnik, M., E. L. Madsen, G. R. Frank, and S. C. Hagness, "Tissue-mimicking phantom materials for narrowband and ultrawideband microwave applications," Phys. Med. Biol., Vol. 50, No. 18, 4245, 2005. doi:10.1088/0031-9155/50/18/001
24. Helbig, M., M. Kmec, J. Sachs, C. Geyer, I. Hilger, and G. Rimkus, "Aspects of antenna array configuration for UWB breast imaging," 2012 6th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EUCAP), 1737-1741, 2012. doi:10.1109/EuCAP.2012.6206594
25. Conceicao, R. C., J. J. Mohr, and M. O’Halloran (Eds.), "An Introduction to Microwave Imaging for Breast Cancer Detection," Springer International Publishing, 2016.