An ultra-compact fiber tip Michelson interferometer (MI), primarily aimed for a reproducible and stable high-temperature sensing probe, is developed and demonstrated. Both single-mode fiber (SMF) and polarization maintaining fiber (PMF) are considered and compared. The tip MI is fabricated by only using a one-step partial-polishing technique, which forms a half oblique and half vertical end face and functions as a beam splitter. A wide spectra analysis proved that the interferometer has an optical path difference (OPD) that is consistent across samples. When the lead-in fiber suffers from bending or twisting, the interference spectrum for the PMF case is more stable than that for the SMF case. Experimental results show a linear average temperature sensitivity of 15.15 pm/˚C in the range of 100˚C to 1000˚C for three tested PMF samples, and the difference between the sensitivities of the samples is less than 4.0%. The ease of fabrication, highly compact structure, reproducibility, and excellent resistance to mechanical disturbance performance suggest that the proposed PMF tip MI is highly promising as a high temperature sensing probe with high spatial resolution.
2. Wu, S., G. Yan, B. Zhou, E. Lee, and S. He, "Open-cavity Fabry-Perot interferometer based on etched side-hole fiber for microfluidic sensing," IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Vol. 27, 1813-1816, 2015.
3. Abbas, L. G. and H. Li, "Temperature sensing by hybrid interferometer based on Vernier like effect," Optical Fiber Technology, Vol. 64, 102538, 2021.
4. Wang, T., M. Wang, and H. Ni, "Micro-Fabry-Pérot interferometer with high contrast based on an in-fiber ellipsoidal cavity," IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Vol. 24, 948-950, 2012.
5. Favero, F. C., G. Bouwmans, V. Finazzi, J. Villatoro, and V. Pruneri, "Fabry-Perot interferometers built by photonic crystal fiber pressurization during fusion splicing," Optics Letters, Vol. 36, 4191-4193, 2011.
6. Liu, X., M. Jiang, Q. Sui, and X. Geng, "Optical fibre Fabry-Perot relative humidity sensor based on HCPCF and chitosan film," Journal of Modern Optics, Vol. 63, 1668-1674, 2016.
7. Su, H., Y. Zhang, K. Ma, Y. Zhao, and C. Yu, "Tip packaged high-temperature miniature sensor based on suspended core optical fiber," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 38, 4160-4165, 2020.
8. Ferreira, M. S., L. Coelho, K. Schuster, J. Kobelke, J. L. Santos, and O. Frazão, "Fabry-Perot cavity based on a diaphragm-free hollow-core silica tube," Optics Letters, Vol. 36, 4029-4031, 2011.
9. Zhang, Z., J. He, B. Du, F. Zhang, K. Guo, and Y. Wang, "Measurement of high pressure and high temperature using a dual-cavity Fabry-Perot interferometer created in cascade hollow-core fibers," Optics Letters, Vol. 43, 6009-6012, 2018.
10. Choi, H. Y., K. S. Pack, S. J. Park, U. Paek, B. H. Lee, and E. S. Choi, "Miniature fiber-optic high temperature sensor based on a hybrid structured Fabry-Perot interferometer," Optics Letters, Vol. 33, 2455-2457, 2008.
11. Lee, D., M. Yang, C. Huang, and J. Dai, "Optical fiber high-temperature sensor based on dielectric films extrinsic Fabry-Pérot cavity," IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Vol. 26, 2107-2110, 2014.
12. Yu, X., et al., "Hybrid sapphire dual-Fabry-Perot-cavities sensor for high temperature and RI measurement," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 39, 3911-3918, 2021.
13. Zhang, H., et al., "Highly sensitive strain sensor based on helical structure combined with Mach-Zehnder interferometer in multicore fiber," Scientific Reports, Vol. 7, 46633, 2017.
14. Wei, T., Y. Han, H. Tsai, and H. Xiao, "Miniaturized fiber inline Fabry-Perot interferometer fabricated with a femtosecond laser," Optics Letters, Vol. 33, 536-538, 2008.
15. Chen, P. and X. Shu, "Refractive-index-modified-dot Fabry-Perot fiber probe fabricated by femtosecond laser for high-temperature sensing," Optics Express, Vol. 26, 5292-5299, 2018.
16. Gao, H., Y. Jiang, Y. Cui, L. Zhang, J. Jia, and L. Jiang, "Investigation on the thermo-optic coefficient of silica fiber within a wide temperature range," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 36, 5881-5886, 2018.
17. Liao, C. R., D. N. Wang, M. Wang, and M. Yang, "Fiber in-line Michelson interferometer tip sensor fabricated by femtosecond laser," IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Vol. 24, 2060-2063, 2012.
18. Bae, H., X. M. Zhang, H. Liu, and M. Yu, "Miniature surface-mountable Fabry-Perot pressure sensor constructed with a 45˚ angled fiber," Optics Letters, Vol. 35, 1701-1703, 2010.
19. Bae, H., L. Dunlap, J. Wong, and M. Yu, "Miniature temperature compensated fabry-perot pressure sensors created with self-aligned polymer photolithography process," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 12, 1566-1573, 2012.
20. Zhu, J., M. Wang, L. Chen, X. Ni, and H. Ni, "An optical fiber Fabry-Perot pressure sensor using corrugated diaphragm and angle polished fiber," Optical Fiber Technology, Vol. 34, 42-46, 2017.
21. Pang, C., H. Bae, A. Gupta, K. Bryden, and M. Yu, "MEMS Fabry-Perot sensor interrogated by optical system-on-a-chip for simultaneous pressure and temperature sensing," Optics Express, Vol. 21, 21829-21839, 2013.
22. Wang, W., N. Wu, Y. Tian, X. Wang, C. Niezrecki, and J. Chen, "Optical pressure/acoustic sensor with precise Fabry-Perot cavity length control using angle polished fiber," Optics Express, Vol. 17, 16613-16618, 2009.
23. Liu, B., J. Lin, J. Wang, C. Ye, and P. Jin, "MEMS-based high-sensitivity Fabry-Perot acoustic sensor with a 45˚ angled fiber," IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Vol. 28, 581-584, 2016.
24. Zhang, X., et al., "Angled fiber-based Fabry-Perot interferometer," Optics Letters, Vol. 45, 292-295, 2020.
25. Yin, J., et al., "Assembly-free-based fiber-optic micro-michelson interferometer for high temperature sensing," IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Vol. 28, 625-628, 2016.
26. Wang, T., K. Liu, J. Jiang, M. Xue, P. Chang, and T. Liu, "A large range temperature sensor based on an angled fiber end," Optical Fiber Technology, Vol. 45, 19-23, 2018.
27. Jiang, L., J. Yang, S. Wang, B. Li, and M. Wang, "Fiber Mach-Zehnder interferometer based on microcavities for high-temperature sensing with high sensitivity," Optics Letters, Vol. 36, 3753-3755, 2011.
28. Zhao, N., et al., "High temperature high sensitivity Mach-Zehnder interferometer based on waist-enlarged fiber bitapers," Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, Vol. 267, 491-495, 2017.
29. Li, Z., J. Tian, Y. Jiao, Y. Sun, and Y. Yao, "Simultaneous measurement of air pressure and temperature using fiber-optic cascaded Fabry-Perot interferometer," IEEE Photonics Journal, Vol. 11, 1-10, 2019.
30. Tian, J., Y. Jiao, S. Ji, X. Dong, and Y. Yao, "Cascaded-cavity Fabry-Perot interferometer for simultaneous measurement of temperature and strain with cross-sensitivity compensation," Optics Communications, Vol. 412, 121-126, 2018.
31. Wu, Y., Y. Zhang, J. Wu, and P. Yuan, "Fiber-optic hybrid-structured Fabry-Perot interferometer based on large lateral offset splicing for simultaneous measurement of strain and temperature," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 35, 4311-4315, 2017.
32. Wang, R., et al., "Fabrication of high-temperature tilted fiber Bragg gratings using a femtosecond laser," Optics Express, Vol. 25, 23684-23689, 2017.
33. Lei, X. and X. Dong, "High-sensitivity Fabry-Perot interferometer high-temperature fiber sensor based on vernier effect," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 20, 5292-5297, 2020.