An analytic solution to the problem of plane wave scattering by an achiral multilayered sphere in a host chiral medium is obtained in this paper. By applying the radiation-to-scattering transform, the scattering problem can be considered as the specific radiation problems where the radiated source equivalent to the electromagnetic plane wave is located at infinity. The volumetric currents which generate right circular polarization (RCP) and left circular polarization (LCP) plane waves,resp ectively, are found. An integral equation consisting the volumetric current distributions and the dyadic Green's functions is formulated to obtain both the equivalent incident wave fields and the scattered fields. Two-layered lossless and lossy dielectric spheres and a conducting sphere with a dielectric coated layer buried in an infinitely extended host chiral medium are considered and the expressions for the scattered fields in far-zone are found in explicit analytic form. The characteristics of scattered fields are illustrated and discussed in terms of the circular polarization degree and linear polarization degree against different chiral admittances and sizes.
1. Jaggard, D. L., A. R. Mickelson, and C. H. Papas, "On electromagnetic waves in chiral media," Appl. Phys., Vol. 18, 211-216, 1978. doi:10.1007/BF00934418
2. Silverman, M. P., "Reflection and refraction at the surface of a chiral medium," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 3, 830-837, 1986. doi:10.1364/JOSAA.3.000830
3. Vegni, L., R. Cicchetti,and P. Capece, "Spectral dyadic Green’s function formulation for planar integrated structures," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 36, No. 8, 1057-1065, 1988. doi:10.1109/8.7217
4. Engheta, N. and P. Pelet, "Mo des in chirowaveguides," Opt. Lett., Vol. 14, 593-595, 1990.
5. Engheta , N. and M. W. Kowarz, "An tenna radiation in the presence of a chiral sphere," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 67, No. 2, 639-647, 1990. doi:10.1063/1.345766
6. Wei, R., "Dyadic Green’s functions and dipole radiations in layered chiral media," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 75, No. 1, 30-35, 1994. doi:10.1063/1.355850
7. Ali, S. M., T. M. Habashy,and J. A. Kong, "Spectral-domain dyadic Green’s function in layered chiral media," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 9, No. 3, 413-423, 1992. doi:10.1364/JOSAA.9.000413
8. Bassiri, S., C. H. Papas,and N. Engheta, "Electromagnetic wave propagation through a dielectric-chiral interface and through a chiral slab," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 5, 1450-1459, 1988. doi:10.1364/JOSAA.5.001450
9. Lakhtakia, A., V. V. Varadan,and V. K. Varadan, "Field equations,Huygens’s principle,in tegral equations,and theorems for radiation and scattering of electromagnetic waves in isotropic chiral media," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 5, 175-184, 1988. doi:10.1364/JOSAA.5.000175
10. Li, L.-W., P . S. Kooi,M.-S. Leong,and T.-S. Yeo, "A general expression of dyadic Green’s function in radially multilayered chiral media," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 43, No. 3, 232-238, 1995. doi:10.1109/8.371991
11. Li, L.-W., D. You,M.-S. Leong,and J. A. Kong, "Electromagnetic scattering by an inhomogeneous chiral sphere of nonlinear varying permittivity: A discrete analysis using multilayered model," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 23, 1999.
13. Lakhtakia, A., V. K. Varadan,and V. V. Varadan, "Scattering and absorption characteristics of lossy dielectric, chiral non-spherical ," Appl. Opt., Vol. 24, 4146-4154, 1985. doi:10.1364/AO.24.004146
14. Rojas, R. G., "In tegral equations for the scattering by a three dimensional inhomogeneous chiral body," J. Electromagn. Waves Applic., Vol. 6, No. 5/6, 733-750, 1992.
15. Bohren, C. F., "Scattering of electromagnetic waves by an optically active cylinder," J. Colloid Interface Sci., Vol. 66, 101-109, 1974.
16. Kluskens, M. S. and E. H. Newman, "Scattering by a multilayer chiral cylinder," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 39, 91-96, 1991. doi:10.1109/8.64441
17. Graglia, R. D., P . L. E. Uslenghi,and C. L. Yu, "Electromagnetic oblique scattering by a cylinder coated with chiral layers and anisotropic jump-immittance sheets," J. Electromagn. Waves Applic., Vol. 6, No. 5/6, 695-719, 1992.
18. Chen, Z., W. Hong,and W. Zhang, "Electromagnetic scattering from a chiral cylinder-general case," IEEE Trans. Antrnnas Propag., Vol. 44, No. 7, 912-917, 1996. doi:10.1109/8.504296
19. Bohren, C. F., "Scattering of electromagnetic waves by an optically active spherical shell," J. Chem. Phys., Vol. 62, 1566-1571, 1975. doi:10.1063/1.430622
20. Cooray, M. F. and I. R. Ciric, "Wave scattering by a chiral spheroid," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 10, No. 6, 1197-203, 1993. doi:10.1364/JOSAA.10.001197
21. Lindell, I. V. and M. P. Silverman, "Plane-w ave scattering from a nonchiral object in a chiral environment," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 14, No. 1, 79-90, 1997. doi:10.1364/JOSAA.14.000079
22. Godlevskaya, A. N. and V. N. Kapshai, "Scattering of electromagnetic waves on spherically symmetrical particles in a naturally gyrotropic medium," Optics and Spectroscopy, Vol. 68, No. 1, 69-72, 1990.
23. Afonin, A. A., A. N. Godlevskaya,V. N. Kapshai,S. P. Kurlovich, and A. N. Serdyokov, "Scattering of electromagnetic waves by a two-layer spherical particle in a naturally gyrotropic medium," Optics and Spectroscopy, Vol. 69, No. 2, 242-245, 1990.
24. Lakhtakia, A., Beltrami Fields in Chiral Media, World Scientific, Singapore, 1994.
25. Li, L.-W., D. You,M.-S. Leong,T.-S. Yeo,and J. A. Kong, "Electromagnetic scattering by multilayered chiral-media structures: A scattering-to-radiation transform," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 26, 2000.
26. Lindell, I. V., A. H. Sihvola,S. A. Tretyakov,and A. J. Viitanen, Electromagnetic Waves in Chiral and Bi-Isotropic Media, Artech House, Boston, 1994.
27. Bassiri, S., N. Engheta,and C. H. Papas, "Dyadic Green’s function and dipole radiation in chiral media," Alta Freq., Vol. 55, 83-88, 1986.
28. Wolfram, S., Mathematica, 4th Ed., Cam bridge University Press, New York, 1999.
29. Li, L.-W., T.-S. Yeo,P . S. Kooi, and M.-S. Leong, "An efficient calculational approach to evaluation of microwave specific attenuation," Accepted by IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., 1999.
30. Ishimaru, A., "Wave Propagation and Scattering in Random Media," Academic Press, Vol. 1 & 2, 1978.