In this paper, the characteristics of a small antenna using an H-shaped microstrip patch are studied. Significant reduction of antenna size can be realized when the H-shaped patch is used instead of the conventional rectangular microstrip patch antenna. The theoretical analysis is carried out based on the finite-difference timedomain (FDTD) method. The FDTD programs are developed and validated by available measurement results. The effects of various antenna parameters on the resonant frequency and radiation patterns are shown. Several design curves are presented, which are useful for practical antenna design. The electric current distributions on the patch and those on the ground plane are described, together with the results illustrating the electric field distributions under the patch. This antenna is suitable for applications where small size and broad beamwidth are required.
17. Gao, S.-C. and J. Li, "FDTD analysis of a size-reduced, duafrequency patch antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 23, 59-77, 1999. doi:10.2528/PIER98082502
18. Bafrooei, P. M. and L. Shafai, "Characteristics of singleand double-layer microstrip square-ring antennas," IEEE Trans.Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 47, 1633-1639, Oct. 1999.
19. Palanisamy, V. and R. Garg, "Rectangular ring and Hshaped microstrip antennas — ‘Alternatives to rectangular patch antenna’," Electronics Letters, Vol. 21, No. 19, 874-876, 1985. doi:10.1049/el:19850617
20. Yee, K. S., "Numerical solution of initial boundary value problems involving Maxwell’s equations in isotropic media," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 14, 302-307, May 1966.
21. Liao, Z. P., H. L. Wong, G. P. Yang, and Y. F. Yuan, "A transmitting boundary for transient wave analysis," Scientia Sinica, Vol. 28, No. 10, 1063-1076, Oct. 1984.
22. Mei, K. K. and J. Fang, "Superabsorption — a method to improve absorbing boundary conditions," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 40, 1001-1010, Sept. 1992. doi:10.1109/8.166524
23. Gao, S.-C. and J. Li, "FDTD analysis of serial corner-fed square patch antennas for single- and dual-polarized applications," IEE Proc. Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 146, 205-209, June 1999. doi:10.1049/ip-map:19990211
24. Gupta, K. C. and P. S. Hall (eds.), Analysis and Design of Integrated Circuit-Antenna Modules, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, 2000.
25. Wu, S. C., N. G. Alexopoulos, and O. Fordham, "Feeding structure contribution to radiation by patch antennas with rectangular boundaries," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 40, 1245-1250, Oct. 1992. doi:10.1109/8.182458
26. Huang, J., "Techniques for an array to generate circular polarization with linearly polarization with linearly polarized elements," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 34, 1113-1123, Sept. 1986. doi:10.1109/TAP.1986.1143953