In this paper, we investigate various methods for solving a time-domain electric field integral equation (TD-EFIE) and a timedomain magnetic field integral equation (TD-MFIE) for analyzing the transient electromagnetic response from three-dimensional (3-D) dielectric bodies. The solution method in this paper is based on the method of moments (MoM) that involves separate spatial and temporal testing procedures. Triangular patch basis functions are used for spatial expansion and testing functions for arbitrarily shaped 3-D dielectric structures. The time-domain unknown coefficients of the equivalent electric and magnetic currents are approximated using a set of orthogonal basis functions that is derived from the Laguerre functions. These basis functions are also used as the temporal testing. Numerical results involving equivalent currents and far fields computed by the proposed TD-EFIE and TD-MFIE formulations are presented and compared.
Tapan Kumar Sarkar,
"Time Domain EFIE and MFIE Formulations for Analysis of Transient Electromagnetic Scattering from 3-d
Dielectric Objects," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 49, 113-142, 2004. doi:10.2528/PIER04022304
1. Rao, S. M., Time Domain Electromagnetics, Academic Press, 1999.
2. Mieras, H. and C. L. Bennet, "Space-time integral equation approach to dielectric targets," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 30, No. 1, 2-9, 1982. doi:10.1109/TAP.1982.1142753
3. Vechinski, D. A., S. M. Rao, and T. K. Sarkar, "Transient scattering from three-dimensional arbitrary shaped dielectric bodies," J. Opt. Soc. Amer., Vol. 11, No. 4, 1458-1470, 1994.
4. Rynne, B. P., "Time domain scattering from dielectric bodies," Electromagn., Vol. 14, 181-193, 1994.
5. Marx, E., "Integral equation for scattering by a dielectric," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 32, No. 2, 166-172, 1984. doi:10.1109/TAP.1984.1143285
6. Pocock, M. D., M. J. Bluck, and S. P. Walker, "Electromagnetic scattering from 3-D curved dielectric bodies using time domain integral equations," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 46, No. 8, 1212-1219, 1998. doi:10.1109/8.718577
7. Sarkar, T. K., W. Lee, and S. M. Rao, "Analysis of transient scattering from composite arbitrarily shaped complex structures," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 48, No. 10, 1625-1634, 2000. doi:10.1109/8.899679
8. Jung, B. H. and T. K. Sarkar, "Time-domain electric-field integral equation with central finite difference," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 31, No. 6, 429-435, 2001. doi:10.1002/mop.10055
9. Gres, N. T., A. A. Ergin, E. Michielssen, and B. Shanker, "Volume-integral-equation based analysis of transient electromagnetic scattering from three-dimensional inhomogeneous dielectric objects," Radio Sci., Vol. 36, No. 3, 379-386, 2001. doi:10.1029/2000RS002342
11. Chung, Y.-S., T. K. Sarkar, and B. H. Jung, "Solution of time domain electric field integral equation for arbitrarily shaped dielectric bodies using an unconditionally stable methodology," Radio Sci., Vol. 38, No. 3, 1-12, 2003.
12. Sarkar, T. K. and J. Koh, "Generation of a wide-band electromagnetic response through a Laguerre expansion using early-time and low-frequency data," IEEE Trans. Microwave TheoryT ech., Vol. 50, No. 5, 1408-1416, 2002.
13. Rao, S. M., D. R. Wilton, and A. W. Glisson, "Electromagnetic scattering by surfaces of arbitrary shape," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 30, No. 3, 409-418, 1982. doi:10.1109/TAP.1982.1142818
14. Sarkar, T. K., S. M. Rao, and A. R. Djordjevic, "Electromagnetic scattering and radiation from finite microstrip structures," IEEE Trans. Microwave TheoryT ech., Vol. 38, No. 11, 1568-1575, 1990. doi:10.1109/22.60001
15. Rao, S. M. and D. R. Wilton, "E-field, H-field, and combined field solution for arbitrarily shaped three-dimensional dielectric bodies," Electromagn., Vol. 10, 407-421, 1990.
16. Jung, B. H., Y.-S. Chung, and T. K. Sarkar, "Time-domain EFIE, MFIE, and CFIE formulations using Laguerre polynomials as temporal basis functions for the analysis of transient scattering from arbitrary shaped conducting structures," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Applicat., Vol. 17, No. 5, 737-739, 2003. doi:10.1163/156939303322226383
17. Rao, S. M., "Electromagnetic scattering and radiation of arbitrarily-shaped surfaces by triangular patch modeling," Ph.D. Dissertation, No. 8, 1980.
18. Wilton, D. R., S. M. Rao, A. W. Glisson, D. H. Schaubert, O. M. Al-Bundak, and C. M. Butler, "Potential integrals for uniform and linear source distributions on polygonal and polyhedral domains," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 32, No. 3, 276-281, 1984. doi:10.1109/TAP.1984.1143304
19. Graglia, R. D., "Static and dynamic potential integrals for linearly varying source distributions in two-and three-dimensional problems," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 35, No. 6, 662-669, 1987. doi:10.1109/TAP.1987.1144160
20. Caorsi, S., D. Moreno, and F. Sidoti, "Theoretical and numerical treatment of surface integrals involving the free-space Green's function," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 41, No. 9, 1296-1301, 1993. doi:10.1109/8.247757
21. Graglia, R. D., "On the numerical integration of the linear shape functions times the 3-D Green's function or its gradient on a plane triangle," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 41, No. 10, 1448-1455, 1993. doi:10.1109/8.247786
22. Eibert, T. F. and V. Hansen, "On the calculation of potential integrals for linear source distributions on triangular domains," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 43, No. 12, 1499-1502, 1995. doi:10.1109/8.475946
24. Poularikas, A. D., The Transforms and Applications Handbook IEEE Press, IEEE Press, 1996.
25. Jung, B. H., T. K. Sarkar, and Y.-S. Chung, "A survey of various frequency domain integral equations for the analysis of scattering from three-dimensional dielectric objects," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Applicat., Vol. 16, No. 10, 1419-1421, 2002.