A novel coupled T-matrix and microwave network approach is proposed for the multiple scattering from parallel semicircular channels. First, an equivalent network is set up to derive the T-matrix of a single channel, in which the S-parameters are derived for the semicircular boundary and the T-matrix of the inclusive cylinders is served as loading matrix of s-parameters. In addition, the T-matrix of the inclusive cylinders is obtained from the T-matrix of each cylinder in its local coordinates using the addition theorem of cylindrical harmonics. Thus, the T-matrix description of semicircular channels could be obtained steadily by the equivalent microwave network theory. Second, the addition theorems in half space are derived and utilized to take account of multiple scattering from several parallel channels. Comparing with previous dual-series eigenfunction solutions, the coupled method simplifies the analysis and could handle much more complex structures step by step. The method is verified by comparison with previous publications and both TM and TE wave illumination are considered.
1. Sachdeva, B. K. and R. K. Hurd, "Scattering by a dielectric-loaded trough in a conducting plane," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 48, No. 4, 1473-1476, 1977. doi:10.1063/1.323863
2. Senior, T. B. A. and J. L. Volakis, "Scattering from gaps and cracks," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagate., Vol. 37, 744-750, 1989. doi:10.1109/8.29361
3. Hinders, M. K. and A. D. Yaghjian, "Dual-series solution to scattering from a semicircular channel in a ground plane," IEEE Microwave and Guided Waves Lett., Vol. 1, No. 9, 1991.
4. Park, T. J., H. J. Eom, Y. Yamaguchi, W.-M.Boerner, and S. Kozaki, "TE plane wave scattering from a dielectric-loaded semi-circular trough in a conducting plane," J. Electromagn. Waves Applicat., Vol. 7, No. 2, 234-245, 1993.
5. Ragheb, H. A., "Electromagnetic scattering from a coaxial dielectric circular cylinder loading a semicircular gap in a ground plane," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 43, No. 6, 1303-1309, 1995. doi:10.1109/22.390187
6. Byun, W. J., J. W. Yu, and N. H. Myung, "TM scattering from hollow and dielectric-filled semielliptic channels with arbitrary eccentricity in a perfectly conducting plane," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 46, No. 9, 1336-1339, 1998. doi:10.1109/22.709487
7. Uslenghi, P. L. E., "Exact penetration, radiation, and scattering for a slotted semielliptical channel filled with isorefractive material," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 52, 1473-1480, 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.829848
8. Yu, J. W., W. J. Byun, and N. H. Myung, "Multiple scattering from two dielectric-filled semi-circular channels in a conducting plane: TM case," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 50, No. 9, 1250-1253, 2002. doi:10.1109/TAP.2002.801272
9. Stratigaki, L. G., M. P. Ioannidou, and D. P. Chrissoulidis, "Scattering from a dielectric cylinder with multiple eccentric cylindrical dielectric inclusions," IEE Proc. Microwave Antenna Propagat., Vol. 143, No. 6, 505-511, 1996. doi:10.1049/ip-map:19960854
10. Toyama, H., K, Yasumoto, and T. Iwasaki, "Electromagnetic scattering from a dielectric cylinder with multiple eccentric cylindrical inclusions," Progress in Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 40, 113-129, 2003.
11. Peterson, B. and S. Ström, "T-matrix for electromagnetic scattering from an arbitrary number of scatterers and representation of E(3)," Phys. Rev. D8, 3661-3678, 1973. doi:10.1103/PhysRevD.8.3661
12. Chew, W. C., Y. M. Wang, and L. Gurel, "Recursive algorithm for wave scattering solutions using windowed addition theorem," J. Electromagn. Waves Applicat., Vol. 6, No. 11, 1537-1560, 1992.
13. Chew, W. C., L. Gurel, Y. M. Wang, G. Otto, R. L. Wagner, and Q. H. Liu, "A generalized recursive algorithm for wave-scattering solutions in two dimensions," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 40, No. 4, 716-722, 1992. doi:10.1109/22.127521
14. Chew, W. C., Waves and Fields in Inhomogeneous Media, Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, 1990.
15. Sharkawy, M. A. and A. Z. Elsherbeni, "Electromagnetic scattering from parallel chiral cylinders of circular cross sections using an iterative procedure," Progress in Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 47, 87-110, 2004. doi:10.2528/PIER03102101
16. Shen, T., W. Dou, and Z. Sun, "Gaussian beam scattering from a semicircular channel in a conducting plane," Progress in Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 16, 67-85, 1997.