A study is made of the characteristics of a perfectly conducting cylindrical antenna insulated from the surrounding cold collisionless magnetoplasma by an isotropic coaxial cylindrical sheath for the case where the antenna is aligned with an external magnetic field and is excited by means of a delta-function voltage generator. A rigorous representation is obtained for the current distribution on an infinitely long antenna. It is shown that in the whistler frequency range, the current distribution of a sufficiently thin antenna is determined mainly by the eigenmode whose guided propagation is found to be supported along the antenna. Based on the results obtained for an infinitely long antenna, a generalized transmission-line theory is developed for determining the current distribution and the input impedance of an insulated antenna of finite length located in a resonant magnetoplasma. The influence of the sheath parameters on the antenna characteristics is analyzed.
1. Balmain, K. G., "The impedance of a short dipole antenna in a magnetoplasma," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. AP-12, No. 5, 605-617, 1964. doi:10.1109/TAP.1964.1138278
2. Seshadri, S. R., "Radiation resistance of elementary electric-current sources in a magnetoionic medium," Proc. IEE, Vol. 112, No. 10, 1856-1868, 1965.
3. Wang, T. N. C. and T. F. Bell, "Radiation resistance of a short dipole immersed in a cold magnetoionic medium," Radio Sci., Vol. 4, No. 2, 167-177, 1969.
4. Wang, T. N. C. and T. F. Bell, "On VLF radiation resistance of an electric dipole in a cold magnetoplasma," Radio Sci., Vol. 5, No. 3, 605-610, 1970.
5. Hurd, R. A., "The admittance of a linear antenna in a uniaxial medium," Can. J. Phys., Vol. 43, No. 6, 2276-2309, 1965.
6. Lee, S. W., "Cylindrical antenna in uniaxial resonant plasmas," Radio Sci., Vol. 4, No. 2, 179-189, 1969.
7. Chugunov, Yu. V., "On the theory of a thin metal antenna in anisotropic media," Izv. Vyssh. Uchebn. Zaved., Vol. 12, No. 6, 830-834, 1969.
8. Chen, C. L. and S. R. Seshadri, "Infinite insulated cylindrical antenna in a simple anisotropic medium," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. AP-14, No. 6, 715-726, 1966. doi:10.1109/TAP.1966.1138797
9. Mareev, E. A. and Yu. V. Chugunov, Antennas in Plasmas [in Russian], Inst. Appl. Phys. Press, Nizhny Novgorod, 1991.
10. Lu, H. S. and K. K. Mei, "Cylindrical antennas in gyrotropic media," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. AP-19, No. 5, 669-674, 1971. doi:10.1109/TAP.1971.1140012
11. Eremin, S. M., "The impedance of an electric dipole in an anisotropic plasma," Radiotekh. Élektron., Vol. 33, No. 9, 1852-1861, 1988.
12. King, R. W. P. and G. S. Smith, Antennas in Matter: Fundamentals, Theory, and Applications, MIT Press, Cambridge, Mass., 1981.
13. Adachi, S., T. Ishizone, and Y. Mushiake, "Transmission line theory of antenna impedance in a magnetoplasma," Radio Sci., Vol. 12, No. 1, 23-31, 1977.
14. Lee, S. W. and Y. T. Lo, "Current distribution and input admittance of an infinite cylindrical antenna in anisotropic plasma," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. AP-15, No. 2, 244-252, 1967. doi:10.1109/TAP.1967.1138871
15. Seshadri, S. R., "Input admittance of a cylindrical antenna in a magnetoionic medium," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 39, No. 5, 2407-2412, 1968. doi:10.1063/1.1656568
16. Bhat, B., "Current distribution on an infinite tubular antenna immersed in a cold collisional magnetoplasma," Radio Sci., Vol. 8, No. 5, 483-492, 1973.
17. Zaboronkova, T. M., A. V. Kudrin, and E. Yu. Petrov, "Current distribution on a cylindrical VLF antenna in a magnetoplasma," Radiophys. Quantum Electron., Vol. 42, No. 8, 660-673, 1999.
18. Mushiake, Y., "Electromagnetic waves along an infinitely long and thin conducting wire in a magneto-ionic medium," J. Res. Natl. Bur. Stand., Vol. 69D, No. 4, 503-510, 1965.
19. Seshadri, S. R., "Guided waves on a perfectly conducting infinite cylinder in a magnetoionic medium," Proc. IEE, Vol. 112, No. 8, 1497-1500, 1965.
20. James, H. G. and K. G. Balmain, "Guided electromagnetic waves observed on a conducting ionospheric tether," Radio Sci., Vol. 36, No. 6, 1631-1644, 2001. doi:10.1029/2000RS002583
21. Ginzburg, V. L., The Propagation of Electromagnetic Waves in Plasmas, 2nd ed., Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1970.
22. Kondrat'ev, I. G., A. V. Kudrin, and T. M. Zaboronkova, Electrodynamics of Density Ducts in Magnetized Plasmas, Gordon and Breach, Amsterdam, 1999.
23. Abramowitz, M. and I. A. Stegun (eds.), Handbook of Mathematical Functions, Dover, New York, 1970.
24. Azarenkov, N. A., I. B. Denisenko, and K. N. Ostrikov, "Wave properties of a cylindrical antenna immersed in a magneto-active plasma," J. Plasma Phys., Vol. 50, 369-384, 1993.
25. Jackson, J. D., Classical Electrodynamics, 3rd ed., John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1999.