In this paper, the electromagnetic field in air from a radiating horizontal electric dipole located in the homogeneous isotropic spherical electrically earth coated with N-layered dielectrics is investigated anew. The starting point is based on the formulas for the electromagnetic fields in air from vertical electric and magnetic dipoles situated in air above the surface of the earth coated with N-layered dielectrics. The complete explicit formulas are derived for the electromagnetic fields in the earth due to vertical electric and magnetic dipoles located in air. By using reciprocity theorem, the formulas are readily obtained for the six components of the electromagnetic field in air radiated by a horizontal electric dipole located in the earth.
1. Watson, G. N., "The diffraction of radio waves by the earth," Proc. the Royal Society, Vol. A95, 83-99, 1918.
2. Van der Pol, B. and H. Bremmer, "The propagation of radio waves over a finitely conducting spherical earth," Phil. Mag., Vol. 27, 261-275, 1939.
3. Fock, V. A., Electromagnetic Diffraction and Propagation Problems, 191-212, 191-212, Pergamon Press, Ltd., Oxford, 1965.
4. Bremmer, H., Terrestrial Radio Waves, Elsevier, New York, 1949.
5. Bremmer, H., "Applications of operational calculus to ground- wave propagation, particularly for long waves," IRE Trans. Antennas Porpag., Vol. AP-6, 267-274, 1958. doi:10.1109/TAP.1958.1144589
6. North, K. A., "The calculations of ground-wave field intensity over a finitely conducting spherical earth," Proc. IRE, Vol. 29, 623-639, 1941.
7. Wait, J. R., "Radiation and propagation from a vertical antenna over a spherical earth," Journal of Research of National Bureau of Standards, Vol. 56, 237-244, 1956.
8. Wait, J. R., "The electromagnetic field of a horizontal dipole in the presence of a conducting half-space," Can. J. Phys., Vol. 39, 1017-1027, 1961.
9. Wait, J. R. and D. A. Hill, "Excitation of the HF surface wave by vertical and horizontal antennas," Radio Sci., Vol. 14, 767-780, 1979.
10. Hill, D. A. and J. R. Wait, "Ground wave attenuation function for a spherical earth with arbitrary surface impedance," Radio Sci., Vol. 15, No. 3, 637-643, 1980.
11. Wait, J. R., "The ancient and modern history of EM ground-wave propagation," IEEE Antennas and Propagat. Mag., Vol. 40, No. 5, 7-24, 1998. doi:10.1109/74.735961
12. Houdzoumis, V. A., "Vertical electric dipole radiation over a sphere: character of the waves that propagate through the sphere," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 86, 3939-3942, 1999. doi:10.1063/1.371311
13. Houdzoumis, V. A., "Two modes of wave propagation manifested in vertical electric dipole radiation over a sphere," Radio Sci., Vol. 35, No. 1, 19-29, 2000. doi:10.1029/1999RS002207
14. Margetis, D., "Radiation of horizontal electric dipole on large dielectric sphere," J. Math. Phys., Vol. 43, 3162-3201, 2002. doi:10.1063/1.1467610
15. Pan, W. Y. and H. Q. Zhang, "Electromagnetic field of a vertical electric dipole on the surface of a dielectric layer overlay a global conductor," Radio Sci., Vol. 38, No. 3, 2003. doi:10.1029/2002RS002689
16. Li, K. and S.-O. Park, "Electromagnetic field in the air generated by a horizontal electric dipole located in the spherical electrically earth coated with a dielectric layer," J. Electromagn. Waves Applicat., Vol. 17, No. 10, 1399-1417, 2003. doi:10.1163/156939303322519586
17. Li, K., S.-O. Park, and H.-Q. Zhang, "Electromagnetic field in the presence of a three-layered spherical region," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 45, 103-121, 2004. doi:10.2528/PIER03060903
18. Li, K., S.-O. Park, and H.-Q. Zhang, "The electromagnetic field over the spherical earth coated with N-layered dielectric," Radio Sci., Vol. 39, 2004.
19. Gradshteyn, I. S. and I. M. Ryzhik, Table of Integrals, Series, and Products, Academic Press, New York, 1980.