Permittivity and conductivity studies of corn syrup in various concentrations are performed using coaxial cavity perturbation technique over a frequency range of 250 MHz-3000 MHz. The results are utilized to estimate relaxation time and dipole moments of the samples. The stability of the material over the variations of time is studied. The measured specific absorption rate of the material complies with the microwave power absorption rate of biological tissues. This suggests the feasibility of using corn syrup as a suitable, cost effective coupling medium for microwave breast imaging. The material can also be used as an efficient breast phantom in microwave breast imaging studies.
Gopinathan Nair Bindu,
"Dielectric Studies of Corn Syrup for Applications in Microwave Breast Imaging," ,
Vol. 59, 175-186, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER05072801
2. John, A., S. Abhiram, H. K. Varma, T. V. Kumari, and P. R. Umashankar, "Bone growth response with porous hydroxyapatite granules in a critical sized lapine tibial-defect model," Bul letin of Materials Science, Vol. 25, 141-154, 2002.
3. Paul, I., G. Varghese, M. A. Ittiyachen, K. T. Mathew, A. Lonappan, J. Jacob, and S. Bijukumar, "Microwave studies of urinary stones," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 35, 297-299, 2002. doi:10.1002/mop.10588
4. Kumar, S. B., K. T. Mathew, U. Ravenndranath, and P. Augustine, "Dielectric studies of certain biological fluids," The Journal of Microwave Power and Electromagnetic Energy, Vol. 39, 67-75, 2001.
5. Raveendranath, U. and K. T. Mathew, "The study of the dielectric behaviour of vapours of water and organic liquids at microwave frequencies," Journal of Molecular Liquids, Vol. 68, 145-156, 1996. doi:10.1016/0167-7322(96)00925-7
6. Semenov, S. Y., A. E. Bulychev, A. E. Souvorov, A. G. Nazarov, Y. E. Sizov, R. H. Svenson, V. G. Posukh, A. Pavlovsky, P. N. Re- pin, and G. P. Tatsis, "Three-dimensional microwave tomography: experimental imaging of phantoms and biological ob jects," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 48, 1071-1074, 2000. doi:10.1109/22.904748
7. Meaney, P. M., M. W. Fanning, D. Li, S. P. Poplack, and K. D. Paulsen, "A clinical prototype of active microwave imaging of the breast," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 48, 1841-1853, 2000. doi:10.1109/22.883861
8. Davis, S. K., E. J. Bond, X. Li, S. C. Hagness, and B. D. Van Veen, "Imaging via space-times beamforming for early detection of breast cancer: beamformer design in the frequency domain," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 17, 357-382, 2003. doi:10.1163/156939303772681424
9. Thuery, J., Microwaves: Industrial, 83-416, Scientific and Medical Applications, Artech House, London, 1992.
10. Meaney, P. M., S. A. Pendergrass, M. W. Fanning, D. Li, and K. D. Paulsen, "Importance of using a reduced contrast coupling medium in 2D microwave breast imaging," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 17, 333-355, 2003. doi:10.1163/156939303322235851
11. Raveendranath, U., S. Bijukumar, and K. T. Mathew, "Broadband coaxial cavity resonator for complex permittivity measurements of liquids," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 49, 1305-1312, 2000. doi:10.1109/19.893275
12. Gabriel, S., R. W. Lau, and C. Gabriel, "Dielectric properties of biological tissues: II. Measurements in the frequency range 10 GHz to 20 GHz," Physics in Medicine and Biology, Vol. 41, 2251-2269, 1996. doi:10.1088/0031-9155/41/11/002
13. Gabriel, S., R. W. Lau, and C. Gabriel, "Dielectric properties of biological tissues: III. Parametric models for the dielectric spectrum of tissues," Physics in Medicine and Biology, Vol. 41, 2271-2293, 1996. doi:10.1088/0031-9155/41/11/003
14. Campbell, A. M. and D. V. Land, "Dielectric properties of female human breast tissue measured in vitro at 3.2 GHz," Physics in Medicine and Biology, Vol. 37, 193-209, 1992. doi:10.1088/0031-9155/37/1/014
15. Hilland, J., "Simple sensor system for measuring the dielectric properties of saline solutions," Measurement Science and Tech- nology, Vol. 8, 901-910, 1997. doi:10.1088/0957-0233/8/8/011
16. Hamsakutty, V., A. Lonappan, V. Thomas, G. Bindu, J. Jacob, J. Yohannan, and K. T. Mathew, "Coupling medium for microwave medical imaging," Electronics Letters, Vol. 39, 1613-1614, 2003. doi:10.1049/el:20030979
17. Foti, S. J., R. P. Flam, J. F. Aubin, L. E. Larsen, and J. H. Jacobi, "A water immersed microwave phased array system for interrogation of biological targets," Medical Applications of Microwave Imaging, 148-166, 1986.
18. Fear, E. C., P. M. Meaney, and M. A. Stuchly, "Microwaves for breast cancer detection?'' IEEE Potentials," ``Microwaves for breast cancer detection? IEEE Potentials, Vol. 22, 12-18, 2003.