In the present paper, a combined method of auxiliary sources (MAS)-reaction matching (RM) approach is presented for the analysis of arrays of arbitrarily located cylindrical dipoles. It is shown that the addition of auxiliary monopole terminal sources to each array element results in a superior solution with regard to the numerical stability of the computed quantities, the behavior of the current distributions of the array elements and the resulting errors of the electric field boundary condition. Numerical results are presented for various representative array configurations, in order to illustrate the features of the proposed method and exhibit its advantages over conventional Method of Moments (MoM) schemes, especially in cases of moderately large-scale arrays. Finally, a few concluding remarks are discussed.
1. King, R. W. P., G. J. Fikioris, and R. B. Mack, Cylindrical Antennas and Arrays, Cambridge University Press, 2002.
2. Miller, E. K. and F. J. Deadrick, "Some computational aspects of thin-wire modeling," Numerical and Asymptotic Techniques in Electromagnetics, 1975.
3. Mittra, R. and C. A. Klein, "Stability and convergence of moment method solutions," Numerical and Asymptotic Techniques in Electromagnetics, 1975.
4. Pearson, L. W. and C. M. Butler, "Inadequacies of collocation solutions to Pocklington-type models of thin-wire structures," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 23, No. 2, 295-298, 1975. doi:10.1109/TAP.1975.1141054
5. Peterson, A. F., "Difficulties encountered when attempting to validate thin-wire formulations for linear dipole antennas," Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society Journal, Vol. 4, No. 3, 25-40, 1989.
6. Fikioris, G. and T. T. Wu, "On the application of numerical methods to Hallen's equation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 49, No. 3, 383-392, 2001. doi:10.1109/8.918612
7. Fikioris, G., J. Lionas, and C. Lioutas, "The use of the frill generator in thin-wire integral equations," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 8, 1847-1854, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.815412
8. Papakanellos, P. J. and C. N. Capsalis, "On the combination of the method of auxiliary sources with reaction matching for the analysis of thin cylindrical antennas," International Journal of Numerical Modeling, Vol. 17, No. 5, 433-449, 2004. doi:10.1002/jnm.549
9. Bogdanov, F. G., D. D. Karkashadze, and R. S. Zaridze, "The method of auxiliary sources in electromagnetic scattering problems," Generalized Multipole Techniques for Electromagnetic and Light Scattering, 1999.
10. Kaklamani, D. I. and H. T. Anastassiu, "Aspects of the method of auxiliary sources (MAS) in computational electromagnetics," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 44, No. 3, 48-64, 2002. doi:10.1109/MAP.2002.1028734
11. Richmond, J. H., "Radiation and scattering by thin-wire structures in a homogeneous conducting medium," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 22, No. 2, 1974.
12. Papakanellos, P. J. and C. N. Capsalis, "Estimation of the coupling between closely spaced transmitters using the method of auxiliary sources," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 17, No. 5, 785-805, 2003. doi:10.1163/156939303322226473
13. King, H. E., "Mutual impedance of unequal length antennas in echelon," IRE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 5, No. 3, 306-313, 1957. doi:10.1109/TAP.1957.1144509
14. Chuang, C. W., J. H. Richmond, N. Wang, and P. H. Pathak, "New expressions for mutual impedance of nonplanar skew sinusoidal monopoles," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 38, No. 2, 275-276, 1990. doi:10.1109/8.45132
15. Clark, A. R., A. P. C. Fourie, and D. C. Nitch, "Stationary, nonstationary, and hybrid iterative method of moments solution schemes," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 49, No. 10, 1462-1469, 2001. doi:10.1109/8.954935
16. Chen, Q., Q. Yuan, and K. Sawaya, "Fast algorithm for solving matrix equation in MoM analysis of large-scale array antennas," IEICE Transactions on Communications, Vol. E85-B, No. 11, 2482-2488, 2002.
17. Thiele, G. A., "Analysis of Yagi-Uda type antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 17, No. 1, 24-31, 1969. doi:10.1109/TAP.1969.1139356