Conducting Sheath Helical Winding on the Core-Cladding Interface of a Lightguide Having a Piet Hein Super Elliptical Core Cross-Section and a Standard Optical Fiber of Circular Cross-Section-a Comparative Modal Analysis
In this article, a theoretical and computational analysis has been made to obtain the modal dispersion characteristics of an unconventional optical waveguide with a Piet Hein core cross section having a conducting sheath helix winding on its core-cladding boundary. A simple analytical method using the vector boundary conditions has been utilized to get the modal eigen value equation. From this equation dispersion curves are obtained and plotted for some particular values of the pitch angles of the winding. Next, these predicted results are compared with those of a new optical fiber having a conducting sheath helix winding on its core-cladding boundary. It is seen that the cutoff values are somewhat lower for the Piet Hein lightguide than those for the circular guide. This is not unexpected since the Piet Hein curve approaches the shape of a square. The introduction of a conducting helical winding leads to a modification of the modal characteristics of the lightguides and gives us an additional means to control them.
"Conducting Sheath Helical Winding on the Core-Cladding Interface of a Lightguide Having a Piet Hein Super Elliptical Core Cross-Section and a Standard Optical Fiber of Circular Cross-Section-a Comparative Modal Analysis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 59, 231-249, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER05100101
1. Clarricoats, P. J. B., "Propagation along bounded and unbounded dielectric rods," IEEE Monograph 409E, 1960.
2. Snitzer, E., "Cylindrical dielectric waveguide modes," J. Opt. Soc. Am., Vol. 51, 491-498, 1961.
3. Miller, S. E., E. A. J. Marcatili, and T. Li, "Research towards optical fiber transmission systems, Part I: The transmission medium," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 61, 1703-1751, 1973.
4. Kumar, A., V. Thyagaranjan, and A. K. Ghatak, "Analysis of rectangular core dielectric waveguides: An accurate perturbation approach," Opt. Lett., Vol. 8, 63-65, 1983.
12. Rao, M. P. S., V. Singh, B. Prasad, P. Khastgir, and S. P. Ojha, "An analytical study of the dispersion curves of an annular waveguide made of liquid crystal," Photonics and Optoelectronics, Vol. 5, 73-78, 1998.
13. Kaminow, I. P., W. L. Mammel, and H. P. Weber, "Metal clad optical waveguides: analytical and experimental study," Appl. Optics, 396-405, 1974.
14. Polky, J. N. and G. L. Mitchell, "Metal clad planar dielectric waveguide for integrated optics," J. Opt. Soc. Am., Vol. 64, 274-279, 1974.
15. Rollke, K. H. and W. Sohler, "Metal clad waveguides as cutoff polarizer for integrated optics," IEEE J. Quantum Electron, Vol. QE-13, 141-145, 1972.
16. Sletten, M. and S. Seshadri, "Thick metal surface-polariton polarizor for a planar optical waveguide," J. Opt. Soc. Am., Vol. 7, 1174-1184, 1990.
17. Sletten, M. and S. Seshadri, "Experimental investigation of a thin film surface polariton polarizor," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 70, 574-579, 1991. doi:10.1063/1.349658
18. Rao, M. P. S., B. Prasad, and S. P. Ojha, "Theoretical study of thin circular infrared filter with alternate concentric regions of dielectric and partially conducting materials," Photonis and Optoelectronics, Vol. 2, 157-167, 1994.
19. Singh, V., B. Prasad, and S. P. Ojha, "Weak guidance analysis and dispersion curves of an infrared lightguide having a core cross-section with a new types of asymmetric loop boundary," Optical Fiber Technology, Vol. 6, 290-298, 2000. doi:10.1006/ofte.2000.0329
20. Bunch, K. J. and R. W. Grow, "The helically wrapped circular waveguide," IEEE. Trans. Electron. Devices, Vol. ED-34, 1873-1885, 1987.
21. Kumar, D., "Propagation characteristics of helical cladding elliptical step index fiber," Ph.D. Thesis, 1999.
22. Watkins, D. A., Topics in Electromagnetic Theory, 39-62, 39-62, Wiley, New York, 1958.
23. Pierce, J. R., Travel ling Wave Tubes, Vol. 23. Pierce, 229-230, 229-230, Van Nostrand, New York, 1950.
24. Singh, V., B. Prasad, and S. P. Ojha, "Theoretical analysis and dispersion curves of an annular lightguide with a cross section bounded by two Piet Hein curves," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 17, 1025-1036, 2003. doi:10.1163/156939303322519090
25. Singh, V., B. Prasad, and S. P. Ojha, "A comparative study of modal characteristic and waveguide dispersion of optical waveguide with three different closed loop cross sectional boundaries," Optik, Vol. 115, 281-288, 2004.
26. Yablonovitch, E., "Inhibited spontaneous emission in solid state and electronics," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 58, 2059-2062, 1987. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.58.2059
27. Joannoupoulos, J. D., R. D. Meade, and J. N. Winn, Photonic Crystals: Molding the Flow of Light, Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, 1995.