In this paper, the exact formulas are derived for the timedomain electromagnetic field generated by a delta-function current in a horizontal electric dipole located on the planar boundary between a homogeneous isotropic medium and one-dimensionally anisotropic medium. Similar to the isotropic case, the amplitude of the tangential pulsed electric field along the boundary is 1/ρ2, which is characteristic of the surface-wave or lateral pulse. The tangential electric field consists of a delta-function pulse travelling in Region 2 (anisotropic medium), a oppositely directed delta-function travelling in Region 1 (isotropic medium), and a final static electric field due to the charges left on the dipole. It is seen that the pulsed electromagnetic field components consist of the first and second pulsed in the two regions with different velocities.
"Exact Formulas for the Lateral Electromagnetic Pulses from a Horizontal Electric Dipole on the Boundary Between a Isotropic Medium and One-Dimensionally Anisotropic Medium," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 60, 43-83, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER05110402
1. Sommerfeld, A., "Propagation of waves in wireless telegraphy," Ann. Phys., Vol. 28, 665-736, 1909.
2. Sommerfeld, A., "Propagation of waves in wireless telegraphy," Ann. Phys., Vol. 81, 1135-1153, 1926.
3. King, R. W. P., "New formulas for the electromagnetic field of a vertical electric dipole in a dielectric or conducting half-space near its horizontal interface," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 56, 8476-8482, 1984.
4. Wu, T. T. and R. W. P. King, "Lateral waves: New formulas for E1Ï† and E1z," Radio Sci., Vol. 19, 532-538, 1984.
5. Wu, T. T. and R. W. P. King, "Lateral waves: A new formula and interference pattern," Radio Sci., Vol. 17, 521-531, 1982.
6. King, R. W. P. and T. T. Wu, "Lateral waves: New formulas for the magnetic field," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 54, 507-514, 1983. doi:10.1063/1.332102
7. King, R. W. P. and M. F. Brown, "Lateral electromagnetic waves along plane boundaries: A summarizing approach," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 72, 595-611, 1984.
8. King, R. W. P., "Electromagnetic surface waves: New formulas and applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. AP-33, No. 11, 1985.
9. Pan, W. Y., "Surface-wave propagation along the boundary between sea water and one-dimensionally anisotropic rock," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 58, 3963-3974, 1985. doi:10.1063/1.335571
10. Margetis, D. and T. T. Wu, "Exactly calculable field components of electric dipoles in planar boundary," J. Math. Phys., Vol. 42, 713-745, 2001. doi:10.1063/1.1330731
11. King, R. W. P., M. Owens, and T. T. Wu, Lateral Electromagnetic Waves, The ory and Applications to Communications, Ge ophysical Exploration, and Remoting Sensing, Springer-verlag, 1992.
12. Van der Pol, B., "On discontinuous electromagnetic waves and occurrrnce of a surface wave," IRE Trans. Antennas and Propagat., Vol. AP-4, 288-293, 1956. doi:10.1109/TAP.1956.1144389
13. Bremmer, H., Electromagnetic Waves, 39-64, R. E. Langer (ed.), 39-64, University Wisconsin Press, Madison WI, 1962.
14. Haddad, H., D. C. ChangRadio Sci., and Vol. 16, 165, Vol. 16, 1981., 1981.
15. Wait, J. R., Wave propagation Theory, Pergamon, New York, 1981.
16. Frankena, H. J., "Transient phenomena associated with Sommerfieldâ€™s horizontal dipole problem," Applied Scientific Research, Vol. 8, 357-368, 1960.
17. De Hoop, A. T. and H. J. Frankena, "Radiation of pulses generated by a vertical electric dipole above a plane, nonconducting earth," Applied Scientific Research, Vol. 8, 369-377, 1960.
18. Ezzeddine, A., J. A. Kong, and L. Tsang, "Time response of a vertical electric dipole over a two-layer medium by the double deformation technique," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 53, No. 2, 813-822, 1981. doi:10.1063/1.330586
19. Wu, T. T. and R. W. P. King, "Lateral electromagnetic pulsesgenerated by a vertical electric dipole on the boundary between two dielectrics," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 62, 4543-4355, 1987.
20. Nikoskinen, K. I. and I. V. Lindell, "Time-domain analysis of Sommerfeld VMD problem based on the exact image theory," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 38, No. 2, 241-250, 1990. doi:10.1109/8.45127
21. Nikoskinen, K. I., "Time-domain analysis of horizontal dipoles in front of planar dielectric interface," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 38, No. 12, 1995-1957, 1990. doi:10.1109/8.60984
22. Dai, R. and C. T. Young, "Transient fields of a horizontal electric dipole on multilayered dielectric medium," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 45, No. 6, 1023-1031, 1997. doi:10.1109/8.585751
23. Cicchetti, R., "Transient analysis of radiated field from electric dipoles and microstrip lines," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 39, No. 7, 910-918, 1991. doi:10.1109/8.86909
24. Ezzeddine, A., J. A. Kong, and L. Tsang, "Transient fields of a vertical electric dipole over a two-layer nondispersive dielectric," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 53, No. 3, 1202-1208, 1981. doi:10.1063/1.329738
25. Xia, M. Y., C. H. Chan, Y. Xu, and W. C. Chew, "Time-domain Greenâ€™s functions for microstrip structures using the Cagniard-de Hoop method," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 52, No. 6, 1578-1585, 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.830258
26. Li, K., Y. Li, and W. Y. Pan, "Exact formulas for the lateral electromagnetic pulses generated by a horizontal electric dipole in the interface of two dielectrics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, 249-283, 2005.
27. King, R. W. P., "Lateral electromagnetic pulses generated by a vertical electric dipole on a plane boundary between dielectrics," J. Electromagn. Waves Appl., Vol. 2, 225-243, 1988.
28. King, R. W. P., "Lateral electromagnetic pulses generated on a plane boundary between dielectrics by vertical and horizontal dipole source with Gaussian pluse excitation," J. Electromagn. Waves Appl., Vol. 2, 589-597, 1989.
29. Li, K., Y. Lu, and M. LiY. Lu, and M. Li, ``Approximate formulas for lateral electromagnetic pulses from a horizontal electric dipole on the surface of one-dimensionally anisotropic medium, "IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagat.,", Vol. 53, No. 3, 933-937, 2005.
30. Gradshteyn, I. S. and I. M. Ryzhik, Table of Integrals, Series, and Products, Academic Press, New York, 1980.