A new method to improve the gain of circular waveguide array antenna with metamaterial structure is presented. The electromagnetic characteristics of metamaterial and circular waveguide antenna with metamaterial structure are studied by using numerical simulation method, which are also compared with those of the conventional circular waveguide antenna. The simulation and experimental results show that this method is effective and metamaterial structure can realize congregating the radiation energy, so the gain of the antenna increases while the side lobe level decreases.
5. Lindell, L. V., S. A. Tretyakov, K. I. Nikoskinen, and S. Ilvonen, "BW media media with negative paraments, capable of supporting backward waves," Microwave Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 31, No. 2, 129-133, 2001. doi:10.1002/mop.1378
6. Ziolkowski, R. W. and E. Heyman, "Wave propagation in media having negative permittivity and permeability," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 64, No. 5, 1-15, 2001. doi:10.1103/PhysRevE.64.056625
7. Hamid, A.-K., "Study of lossy effects on the characteristics of axially slotted circular or elliptical cylindrical antennas coated with metamaterials," Microwaves, Vol. 60, No. 12, 485-490, 2005.
8. Hamid, A.-K., "Axially slotted antenna on a circular or elliptic cylinder coated with metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 51, 329-341, 2005.
9. The venot, M., C. Cheype, A. Reineix, and B. Jecko, IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 47, 2115, Vol. 47, 1999., 1999.