The paper discusses the experimental analysis on a cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna (DRA) with a parasitic conducting strip, loaded coplanar with the 50Ω microstripline feed. The antenna offers an impedance bandwidth as high as 17.33% at a centre frequency of 2.77 GHz, as a result of the enhanced coupling produced by the coplanar strip. The return loss, impedance, polarization and radiation characteristics of the antenna are studied. The radiation patterns are broad and the low cross-polarisation levels confirm that the antenna is linearly polarised over the entire impedance bandwidth.
1. Long, S. A., M. McAllister, and L. C. Shen, "The resonant cylindrical dielectric cavity antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 31, No. 3, 406-412, 1983. doi:10.1109/TAP.1983.1143080
2. Mongia, R. K. and P. Bhartia, "Dielectric resonator antennas â€” A review and general design relations for resonant frequency and bandwidth," Inter. J. Microwave and Mil limeter-Wave Computer- Aided Engineering, Vol. 4, No. 3, 230-247, 1994.
3. Petosa, A., A. Ittipiboon, Y. M. M Antar, D. Roscoe, and M. Cuchaci, "Recent advances in dielectric resonator antenna technology," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 40, No. 3, 35-48, 1998. doi:10.1109/74.706069
4. Saed, M. and R. Yadla, "Microstrip-fed low profile and compact dielectric resonator antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 56, 151-162, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER05041401
5. Kranenberg, R. A. and S. A. Long, "Microstrip transmission line excitation of dielectric resonator antennas," Electronics Letters, Vol. 24, No. 18, 1156-1157, 1988.
6. Leung, K. W., K. Y. Chow, K. M. Luk, and E. K. N. Yung, "Low- profile circular disk DR antenna of very high permittivity excited by a microstripline," Electronics Letters, Vol. 33, No. 12, 1004-1005, 1997. doi:10.1049/el:19970718
7. Kenneth, V., Buer, El-Badawy, and El-Sharawy, "A novel technique for tuning dielectric resonators," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 43, No. 1, 36-41, 1995. doi:10.1109/22.363010
8. Long, R. T., R. J. Dorris, S. A. Long, M. A. Khayat, and J. T. Williams, "Use of parasitic strip to produce circular polarisation and increased bandwidth for cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 37, No. 7, 406-408, 2001. doi:10.1049/el:20010295
9. Leung, K. W. and H. K. Ng, "The slot-coupled Hemispherical dielectric resonator antenna with a parasitic patch: Applications to the circularly polarised antenna and wide-band antenna," IEEE 152 Kumar et al. Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 53, No. 5, 1762-1769, 2005.
10. Mongia, R. K. and A. Ittipiboon, "Theoretical and experimental investigations on rectangular dielectric resonator antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 45, No. 9, 1348-1356, 1997. doi:10.1109/8.623123