This paper presents a simple method to analyze and design a desired frequency band rejection in microstrip transmission lines with defected signal strip structure. Also some new structures called ADMS have been introduced and compared. The proposed circuits can be applied to various microwave and millimeter wave components. Finally this paper introduces the RCMS method, a very fast and efficient solution that determines current distribution on the cross section of the signal strip with arbitrary defection pattern. One microstrip line with defected patterns is discussed and then modeled using RCMS method. The results of the current and voltage distribution along an ADMS obtained using RCMS method are in good agreement with those obtained using FEKO (a full wave simulator).
7. Park, J. L., C. S. Kim, J. Kim, J. S. Park, Y. Qian, D. Ahn, and T. Itoh, Modeling of a photonic bandgap and its application for the low-pass filter design, Proc. APMC'99, No. 12, 331-334, 1999.
8. Qian, Y. and T. Itoh, "Planar periodic structures for microwave and millimeter wave circuit applications," IEEE MTT-s Dig., No. 6, 1533-1536, 1999.
9. Yang, F. R., Y. Qian, and T. Itoh, "A novel uniplanar compact PBG structure for filter and mixer applications," IEEE MTT-s Dig., No. 6, 919-922, 1999.
10. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, Reflection phase characterization of an electromagnetic band-gap (EBG) surface, Proc. IEEE AP-S Dig., Vol. 3, No. 6, 744-747, 2002.
11. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Mutual coupling reduction of microstrip antennas using electromagnetic band-gap structure," IEEE Antennas Propagat. Soc. Dig., Vol. 2, 478-481, 2001.
12. Fan, M., R. Hu, Z. H. Feng, X. X. Zhang, and Q. Hao, "Advance in 2D-EBG structures' research," J. Infrared Millimeter Waves, Vol. 22, No. 2, 2003.
13. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Microstrip antennas integrated with electromagnetic band-gap structures: a low mutual coupling design for array applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation., Vol. 51, No. 10, 2936-2946, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.817983
14. Kim, C. S., J. S. Lim, J. S. Park, D. Ahn, and S. W. Nam, A 10 dB branch line coupler using defected ground structure, European Microwave Conference Digest, 68-71, 2000.
15. Yun, J. S., G. Y. Kim, J. S. Park, D. Ahn, K. Y. Kang, and J. B. Lim, "A design of the novel coupled line bandpass filter using defected ground structure," IEEE MTT-S Digest, 327-330, 2000.
16. Lim, J. S., H. S. Kim, J. S. Park, D. Ahn, and S. W. Nam, "A power amplifier with efficiency improved using defected ground structure," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 11, No. 4, 170-172, 2001. doi:10.1109/7260.916333
17. Ahn, D., J. S. Park, C. S. Kim, J. Kun, Y. Qian, and T. Itoh, "A design of the low pass filter using the novel microstrip defected ground structure," IEEE Trans. on MTTs., Vol. 49, No. 1, 86-93, 2001. doi:10.1109/22.899965
18. Yun, J. S., G. Y. Kim, J. S. Park, D. Ahn, K. Y. Kang, and J. B. Lim, "A design of the novel coupled line band pass filter using defected ground structure," IEEE MTTS, Vol. 1, No. 6, 327-330, 2000.
19. Lim, J. S., H. S. Kim, J. S. Park, D. Ahn, and S. Nam, "A power amplifier with efficiency improved using defected ground structure," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Lett., Vol. 11, 170-172, 2001. doi:10.1109/7260.916333
20. Collin, R. E., Foundations of Microwave Engineering, McGraw- Hill, 1996.
21. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, Addison Wesley, 1990.
22. Laroussi, R. and G. I. Costache, "Finite-element method applied to EMC problems [PCB environment]," IEEE Trans. Electromagnetic Compatibility, No. 5, 178-184, 1993. doi:10.1109/15.229423
23. Dhaene, T., L. Martens, and D. De Zutter, "Transient simulation of arbitrary non uniform interconnection structures characterized by scattering parameters," IEEE Trans. Circuits Systems-I: Fundamental Theory and Appl., No. 11, 928-937, 1992. doi:10.1109/81.199890
24. Homentcovschi, D. and R. Oprea, "Analytically determined Quasi-Static parameters of shielded or open multi-conductor microstrip lines," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., No. 1, 18-24, 1998. doi:10.1109/22.654918
25. Gupta, K. C. and C. Kuldip, Microstrip Lines and Slot Lines, 2nd ed., Ch. 3, Artech House, 1996.
26. Cheldavi, A. and M. K. Amirhosseini, "A new two dimensional analysis of microstrip lines using rigorously coupled multi conductor strips model," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 18, No. 6, 809-825, 2004. doi:10.1163/156939304323105880
27. Paul, C. R., Analysis of Multi Conductor Transmission Lines, John Wiley and Sons Inc., 1994.
28. Lei, G. T., G. W. Pan, and B. K. Gilbert, "Examination, clarification, and simplification of modal decoupling method for multi conductor transmission lines," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 43, No. 9, 2090-2099, 1995. doi:10.1109/22.414545