A novel artificial magnetic conductor (AMC), i.e., highimpedance surface (HIS), is proposed. The structure, which utilizes the well know Jerusalem Cross Frequency Selective Surface (JC-FSS), is a novel 3D AMC. It offers stable resonance frequency with respect to the incidence angle of both TE and TM-polarized plane waves, very compact size and acceptable bandwidth.
1. Sievenpiper, D., L. Zhang, R. F. Jimenez Broas, N. G. Alexopolous, and E. Yablonovitch, "High impedance electromagnetic surfaces with a forbidden frequency band," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 47, No. 11, 2059-2074, 1999. doi:10.1109/22.798001
2. Simovski, C. R., P. de Maagt, S. A. Tretyakov, M. Paquay, and A. A. Sochava, "Angular stabilization of resonant frequency of artificial magnetic conductors for TE-incidence," Electron. Lett., Vol. 40, No. 2, 92-93, 2004. doi:10.1049/el:20040064
3. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Reflection phase characterizations of the EBG ground plane for low profile wire antenna applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, No. 10, 2691-2703, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.817559
4. Simovski, C. R., P. de Maagt, and I. V. Melchakova, "High-impedance surfaces having stable resonance with respect to polarization and incidence angle," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 3, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.842598
5. Kern, D. J., D. H. Werner, A. Monorchio, L. Lanuzza, and M. J. Wilhelm, "The design synthesis of multiband artificial magnetic conductors using high impedance frequency selective surfaces," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 1, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.840540
6. Monorchio, A., G. Manara, and L. Lanuzza, "Synthesis of artificial magnetic conductors by using multilayered frequency selective surfaces," IEEE Antennas And Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 1, 2002.
7. Hosseini, M., A. Pirhadi, and M. Hakkak, "Design of an AMC with little sensitivity to angle of incidence using an optimized jerusalem cross FSS," IEEE International Workshop on Antenna Technology: Small Antennas and Novel Metamaterials, 245-248, 2006. doi:10.1109/IWAT.2006.1609021
8. Hosseini, M., A. Pirhadi, and M. Hakkak, "Design of a nonuniform high impedance surface for a low profile antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 11, 1455-1464, 2006.
9. Hosseini, M., A. Pirhadi, and R. Fallahi, Bandwidth enhancement of a low profile antenna by applying non-uniformity to its high impedance ground plane, Proceeding of IEEE Mathematical Methods in Electromagnetic Theory, 2006.
10. Hosseini, M., A. Pirhadi, and M. Hakkak, Design of a novel AMC with little sensitivity to the angle of incidence and with compact size, Proceeding of IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation, No. 7, 2006.
11. Feresidis, A. P., G. Apostolopoulos, N. Serfas, and J. C. Vardaxoglou, "Closely coupled metallodielectric electromagnetic band gap structures formed by double layer dipole and tripole arrays," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 5, 1149-1158, 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.827530
12. Mosallaei, H. and K. Sarabandi, "Antenna miniaturization and bandwidth enhancement using reactive impedance substrate," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 52, No. 9, 2403-2414, 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.834135
13. Simovski, C., T. Rouiller, and I. Melchakova, "Full-angle magnetic conductors and their application in coplanar isolators," European Microwave Conf., 1349-1351, 2004.