In this paper, the higher order hierarchical basis functions are employed to solve the electric field integral equation for computing electromagnetic scattering from three-dimension bodies comprising both conducting and dielectric objects. In higher-order methods of moments (HO-MoM), the equivalent surface electric and magnetic currents are usually expanded by the same basis functions, which are not appropriate in our problem here. The pointwise orthogonal basis functions respectively for electric and magnetic currents are proposed in our improved HO-MoM. Quadrilateral patches are used in curvilinear geometry modeling since they result in the lowest number of unknowns. Numerical solution procedure is particularly analyzed, and numerical results are given for various structures and compared with other available data lastly.
1. Sarkar, T. K., S. M. Rao, and A. R. Djordjevic, "Electromagnetic scattering and radiation from finite microstrip structures," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 38, No. 11, 1568-1575, 1990.
2. Rao, S. M., T. K. Sarkar, P. Midya, and A. R. Djordjevic, "Electromagnetic radiation and scattering from finite conducting and dielectric structure: surface/surface formulation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 39, No. 7, 1034-1037, 1991. doi:10.1109/8.86926
3. Li, J.-Y. and L.-W. Li, "Electromagnetic scattering by a mixture of conducting and dielectric objects: analysis using method of moments," IEEE Trans. on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 53, No. 2, 514-520, 2004. doi:10.1109/TVT.2004.823527
4. Donepudi, K. C., J.-M. Jin, and W. C. Chew, "A higher order multilevel fast multipole algorithm for scattering from mixed conducting/dielectric bodies," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 51, No. 10, 2814-2821, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.817979
5. Yuan, N., T. S. Yeo, X. C. Nie, L. W. Li, and Y. B. Gan, "Analysis of scattering from composite conducting and dielectric targets using the precorrected-FFT algorithm," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 17, No. 3, 499-515, 2003. doi:10.1163/156939303767869026
6. Ewe, W.-B., L.-W. Li, and M.-S. Leong, "Solving mixed dielectric/conducting scattering problem using adaptive integral method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 46, 143-163, 2004. doi:10.2528/PIER03091001
7. Nie, X.-C., N. Yuan, L.-W. Li, Y.-B. Gan, and T. S. Yeo, "A fast volume-surface integral equation solver for scattering from composite conducting-dielectric objects," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 53, No. 2, 818-824, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.841323
8. Yla-Oijala, P., M. Taskiene, and J. Sarvas, "Surface integral equation method for general composite metallic and dielectric structures with junctions," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 52, 81-108, 2005. doi:10.2528/PIER04071301
9. Sarkar, T. K., W. Lee, and S. M. Rao, "Analysis of transient scattering from composite arbitrarily shaped complex structures," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 48, No. 10, 1625-1634, 2000. doi:10.1109/8.899679
10. JÃ¸rgensen, E., J. L. Volakis, P. Meincke, and O. Breinbjerg, "Higher order hierarchical discretization scheme for surface integral equations for layered media," IEEE Trans. Geosci Remote Sensing, Vol. 42, No. 4, 764-772, 2004. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2003.819881
11. JÃ¸rgensen, E., J. L. Volakis, P. Meincke, and O. Breinbjerg, "Higher order hierarchical legendre basis functions for electromagnetic modeling," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 52, No. 11, 2985-2995, 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.835279
12. Djordjevic, I. and B. M. NotaroË˜s, "Double higher order method of moments for surface integral equation modeling of metallic and dielectric antennas and scatters," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 52, No. 8, 2118-2129, 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.833175
13. Kolundzija, B. M., "Electromagnetic modeling of composite metallic and dielectric structures," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 47, No. 7, 1021-1032, 1999. doi:10.1109/22.775434