A moment method analysis of a broad wall slot coupled crossed rectangular waveguide junction has been presented in this paper. The coupling slot is longitudinal/transverse and offset from the centre lines of the guides. The integral equations, governing the characteristics of the device, have been obtained using Multiple Cavity Modeling Technique, taking into account of the finite wall thickness and the TE00 mode at the slot apertures and have been solved using Moment Method to obtain the aperture distribution. The normalized resonant lengths/complex S-parameters have been calculated from this field distribution for different guide height/slot offsets/slot widths/slot thickness of the longitudinal/transverse slot over the frequency band. Numerical data, thus obtained, have been compared with measured/literature available/CST Microwave Studio Simulated data. The theory has been validated by the reasonable agreement obtained between them. It has been shown that, neglecting the TE00 mode at the slot apertures can adversely effect the estimation of the resonant frequency and equivalent network parameters.
1. Watson, W. H., The Physical Principles of Waveguide Transmission and Antenna Systems, Claredon Press, London, 1949.
2. Vu Khac, T. and C. T. Carson, "Coupling by slots in rectangular waveguides," Electronic Letters, Vol. 8, No. 18, 456-458, 1972. doi:10.1049/el:19720330
3. Harrington, R. F. and J. R. Mautz, "A generalized network formulation for aperture problems," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. AP-24, No. 11, 870-873, 1976. doi:10.1109/TAP.1976.1141420
4. Rengarajan, S. R., "Characteristics of a longitudinal/transverse coupling slot in crossed rectangular waveguides," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 37, No. 8, 1171-1177, 1989. doi:10.1109/22.31075
5. Park, P. K., M. E. Slaterbeck, and S. E. Bradshaw, Shunt/series coupling slot in rectangular waveguides, IEEE Int. Antennas and Propagation Symposium Digest, 62-65, 1984.
6. Senior, D. C., "Higher order mode coupling effects in a shuntseries coupling junction of a planar slot array antenna," Ph.D. Dissertation, 1986.
7. Wu, R., D. Siru, and G. Benquing, Analysis of a broad wall waveguide slot coupler by FDTD method, 3rd International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, 21-24, 2002.
8. Das, S. and A. Chakrabarty, "A novel modeling technique to solve a class of rectangular waveguide based circuits and radiators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 61, 231-252, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06010302
9. Vu Khac, T. and C. T. Carson, "m = 0, n = 0 mode and rectangular waveguide slot discontinuity," Electronic Letters, Vol. 9, No. 9, 431-432, 1973. doi:10.1049/el:19730315
10. Gupta, S., A. Chakrabarty, and B. N. Das, Longitudinal slot radiators: Effect of slot offset, International Conference on Millimeter Wave and Microwave (ICOM-90), 19-21, 1990.
11. Satyanarayana, D. and A. Chakrabarty, "Analysis of a wide inclined slot coupled narrow wall coupler between dissimilar rectangular waveguides," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 42, No. 5, 914-917, 1994. doi:10.1109/22.293551
12. Satyanarayana, D. and A. Chakrabarty, "Reply to comments on analysis of a wide inclined slot coupled narrow wall coupler between dissimilar rectangular waveguides," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 43, No. 1, 241-242, 1995.
13. Josefsson, L. G., "Analysis of longitudinal slots in rectangular waveguides," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. AP-35, No. 12, 1351-1357, 1987. doi:10.1109/TAP.1987.1144042
14. Gupta, S. and B. N. Das, Analysis of longitudinal striations on the broad face of rectangular waveguides, International Conference on Millimeter Wave and Microwave (ICOM-90), 19-21, 1990.
15. Eshrah, I. A., A. B. Yakovlev, A. A. Kishk, A. W. Glisson, and G. W. Hanson, "The TE00 waveguide mode â€” the complete story," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 46, No. 5, 2004. doi:10.1109/MAP.2004.1388824
16. Gupta, S., "Electromagnetic field estimation in aperture and slot antennas with their equivalent network representation," Ph.D. Dissertation, 1996.
17. Stern, G. J. and R. S. Elliot, "Resonant length of longitudinal slots and validity of circuit representation: theory and experiment," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. AP-33, No. 11, 1264-1271, 1985. doi:10.1109/TAP.1985.1143509
18. Rengarajan, S. R., "Compound radiating slots in the broad wall of a rectangular waveguide," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 37, No. 9, 1116-1123, 1989. doi:10.1109/8.35791
19. Rengarajan, S. R., "Compound coupling slots for arbitrary excitation of waveguide-fed planar slot arrays," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 38, No. 2, 276-280, 1990. doi:10.1109/8.45133