The focusing characteristics of 2D-Cylindrical Electromagnetic Band Gap (CEBG) structures constituted of metallic wires and with defects are analyzed numerically for directive antennas application. The introduction of defects into the periodic structures consists of removing one or multiple wires. The simulations were carried out with a Finite Difference Time Domain (FDTD) code, where the excitation is a line source and the CEBG structure is considered infinite in the vertical direction. Numerical results showing the effects of the number of cylindrical layers and of the number of defects are presented and discussed. These results allow to determine the structures giving best focusing performance and to obtain the frequency band for directive radiation.
1. Joannopoulos, J., R. D. Meade, and J. N. Winn, Photonic Crystals: Molding the flow of light, Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, 1995.
2. Yablonovitch, E., "Inhibited spontaneous emission in solid state physics," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 58, No. 5, 2059-2062, 1987. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.58.2059
3. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Microstrip antennas integrated with electromagnetic bandgap (EBG) structures: a low mutual coupling design for array applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, No. 10, 2936-2946, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.817983
4. Thevenot, M., C. Cheype, A. Reineix, and B. Jecko, "Directive photonicband-gap antennas," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 47, No. 11, 2115-2122, 1999. doi:10.1109/22.798007
5. Boutayeb, H. and T. A. Denidni, "Analysis and design of a high-gain antenna based on a metallicc rystal," Journal of Electromagnetic Wave and Application, Vol. 20, 599-614, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306776137755
6. Lourtioz, J. M., A. De Lustrac, F. Gadot, S. Rowson, A. Chelnokov, T. Brillat, A. Ammouche, J. Danglot, O. Vanbesien, and D. Lippens, "Toward controllable photonic crystals for centimeter and millimeter wave devices," J. Lightwave Tech., Vol. 17, No. 11, 2025-2031, 1999. doi:10.1109/50.802990
7. Poilasne, G., P. Pouliquen, K. Mahdjoubi, L. Desclos, and C. Terret, "Active metallic photonic bandgap material MPBG: experimental results on beam shaper," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 48, No. 1, 117-119, 2000. doi:10.1109/8.827392
8. Boutayeb, H., K. Mahdjoubi, and A. C. Tarot, Analysis of radiusperiodic cylindrical structures, Proc. IEEE AP-S Int. Symp. Dig., Vol. 2, 813-816, 2003.
9. Ratasjack, P., T. Brillat, F. Gadot, P. Y. Garel, A. de Lustrac, H. Boutayeb, K. Mahdjoubi, A. C. Tarot, and J. P. Daniel, "A reconfigurable EBG structure for a beam steering base station antenna," JINA, No. 11, 2004.
10. Boutayeb, H., T. A. Denidni, K. Mahdjoubi, A.-C. Tarot, A. Sebak, and L. Talbi, "Analysis and design of a cylindrical EBG based directive antenna," IEEE Trans. Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 1, 211-219, 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.861560
11. Compton, R. T. and Jr., Adaptive Antennas: Concepts and Performance, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1988.