An efficient metal-insulator-metal (MIM) capacitor simple scalable model for use in monolithic-microwave integrated circuit (MMIC) design is presented in this paper. This model is based on transmission-line theory. Analytical expressions based on physical parameters have been given in detail. Nine different physical dimension capacitors are fabricated to verify the validity of the proposed model. A good agreement between measured result and simulated data is obtained.
"MIM Capacitor Simple Scalable Model Determination for MMIC Application on GaAs
Vol. 66, 173-178, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06112204
1. Qian, Z. H., R. S. Chen, K. W. Leung, and H. W. Yang, "FDTD analysis of microstrip patch antenna covered by plasma sheath," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 52, 173-183, 2005. doi:10.2528/PIER04080901
2. Chew, W. C. and L. J. Jiang, "A complete variational method for capacitance extractions," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 56, 19-32, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER05020402
3. Mellberg, A. and J. Stenarson, "An evaluation of three simple scalable MIM capacitor model," IEEE, Vol. 54, No. 1, 169-172, 2006.
4. Lombard, P., J. D. Arnould, O. Exshaw, H. Eusebe, P. Benech, A. Farcy, and J. Torres, "MIM capacitors model determination and analysis of parameter influence," IEEE ISIE, 20-23, 2005.
5. Song, S. S., S. W. Lee, J. Gil, and H. Shin, "Simple wide-band Metal-Insulator-Metal (MIM) capacitor model for RF applications and effect of substrate grounded shields," Japanese Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 43, No. 4B, 1746-1751, 2004. doi:10.1143/JJAP.43.1746
6. Yin, W. Y., B. Wu, M. Miao, L. B. Ooi, L. W. Li, and P. S. Kooi, "Experimental characterisation and modelling of onchip capacitors and resistors on GaAs substrate," IEE Proc. MAP, Vol. 149, No. 1, 2002.
7. Mondal, J., "An experimental verification of a simple distributed model of MIM capacitors for MMIC applications," IEEE MTT-S, Vol. 34, No. 4, 403-408, 1987. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1987.1133662
8. Tripathi, V. K., "Asymmetric coupled transmission lines in an inhomogeneous medium," IEEE MTTs, Vol. 23, No. 9, 734-739, 1975. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1975.1128665
9. Ladbrooke, P. H., MMICDesign: GaAs FETs and HEMTs, Artech House, 1989.