The paper presents a new algorithm for a 2-dimensionnal direction of arrival estimation. Based on the extended Kalman filter (EKF), we analyse a recursive procedure for 2-dimensional directions of arrival (DOA) estimation and we will employ the two-L-shape arrays. A new space-variable model which we call a spatial state equation is presented using array element locations and incident angles. In this paper we briefly recapitulate the most important features of the extended Kalman filter (EKF). The performance of the proposed approach is examined by a simulation study with three signals model. The simulation results show a good estimate performance.
1. Welch, G. and G. Bishop, "An introduction to the Kalman filter," Department of Computer Science University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, No. 4, 2004.
2. Krekel, P. and E. Deprettre, A two dimensional version of matrix pencil method to solve the DOA problem, European Conference on Circuit Theory and Design, 435-439, 1989.
3. Hua, Y., T. K. Sarkar, and D. D. Weiner, "An L-shape array for estimating 2-D directions of wave arrival," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 39, No. 2, 143-146, 1991. doi:10.1109/8.68174
4. Donelli, M., S. Caorsi, F. DeNatale, M. Pastorino, and A. Massa, "Linear antenna synthesis with a hybrid genetic algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 49, 1-22, 2004. doi:10.2528/PIER03121301
5. Mouhamadou, M., P. Armand, P. Vaudon, and M. Rammal, "Interference suppression of the linear antenna arrays controlled by phase with use of Sqp algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 59, 251-265, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER05100603
6. Sotiriou, A. I., P. K. Varlamos, P. T. Trakadas, and C. Capsalis, "Performance of a six-beam switched parasitic planar array under one path rayleigh fading environment," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 62, 89-106, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06020204
7. Liu, T. H. and J. M. Mendel, "Azimuth and elevation direction finding using arbitrary array geometries," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, Vol. 46, No. 7, 2061-2065, 1998. doi:10.1109/78.700985
8. Marcos, S., "Calibration of a distorted towed array using a propagator operator," J. Acoust. Soc. Amer, Vol. 93, No. 3, 1987-1994, 1993. doi:10.1121/1.406712
9. Li, P., B. Yu, and J. Sun, "A new method for two dimensional arrays," Signal Processing, Vol. 47, No. 12, 325-332, 1995.
10. Wu, Y., G. Liao, and H. C. So, "A fast algorithm for 2-D direction of arrival estimation," Signal Processing, Vol. 83, No. 8, 1827-1831, 2003. doi:10.1016/S0165-1684(03)00118-X
11. Liu, T. and J. Mendel, "Azimuth and elevation direction finding using arbitrary array geometries," IEEE Trans. Antenna and Propagations, Vol. 53, No. 4, 2005.
12. Tayem, N. and H. Kwon, "L-shape-2-D arrival angle estimation with propagator method," IEEE Trans. Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 5, 2, 2005.
13. Kikuma, N., M. Anzai, M. Ogawa, K. Yamada, and N. Inagaki, "Estimation of direction of arrival land delay profile of multi-path waves by MUSIC algorithm for indoor radio communications," IEICE Trans., Vol. J73-B-II, No. 11, 786-795, 1990.