Asup erstrate layer is used to enhance the directivity of the small radiation sources such as Microstrip Patch Antennas. In this paper, we use square loop frequency selective surface (SLFSS) configuration to design the superstrate layer. To compact the structure, we propose a new single layer square loop FSS configuration that operates in two frequency bands such as multi-layer SL-FSS. Simulation results are shown to have good agreement with experimental results.
1. Pirhadi, A., M. Hakkak, and F. Keshmiri, "Bandwidth enhancement of the probe fed microstrip antenna using frequency selective surface as electromagnetic bandgap superstrate," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 61, 215-230, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06021801
2. Pirhadi, A., F. Keshmiri, and M. Hakkak, "Design of dualband low profile high directive EBG resonator antenna, using single layer frequency selective surface superstrate," IEEE APS/USNC/URSI Int. Symp., 9-14, 2006.
3. Lee, Y. J., J. Yeo, R. Mittra, and W. S. Park, "Application of electromagnetic bandgap (EBG) superstrates with controllable defects for a class of patch antennas as spatial angular filters," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. AP-53, No. 1, 224-234, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.840521
4. Enoch, S., G. Tayeb, and B. Gralak, "The richness of the dispersion relation of electromagnetic bandgap materials," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 51, No. 10, 2659-2666, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.817549
5. Lee, Y. J., J. Yeo, K. D. Ko, and R. Mittra, Y. Lee, and W. S. Park, "Ano vel design technique for control of defect frequency of an electromagnetic band gap (EBG) superstrate for dual band directivity enhancement," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 42, No. 1, 25-31, 2004. doi:10.1002/mop.20196
6. Cheype, C., C. Serier, M. Thevenot, and T. Monediere, A. Reneix, and B. Jecko, "An electromagnetic bandgap resonator antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 50, No. 9, 1285-1290, 2002. doi:10.1109/TAP.2002.800699
7. Lee, Y. J., J. Yeo, R. Mittra, and W. S. Park, Design of a frequency selective surface (FSS) type superstrate for dual band directivity enhancement of microstrip patch antennas, IEEE AP-S International Symposium and USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, No. 7, 2005.
8. Lee, Y. J., D. H. Lee, J. Yeo, W. S. Park, and R. Mittra, Design of a frequency selective surface (FSS) superstrate with ring-shaped elements for directivity enhancement and low side lobe level of a circular polarization antenna, International Symposium on Microwave and Optical Technology, Vol. A-02, 22-25, 2005.
9. Lee, Y. J., J. Yeo, R. Mittra, and W. S. Park, "Thin frequency selective surface (FSS) superstrate with different periodicities for dual-band directivity enhancement," IEEE International Workshop on Antenna Technology: Small Antennas and Novel Metamaterial (IWAT), No. 3, 375-378, 2005. doi:10.1109/IWAT.2005.1461095
10. Maagt, P. D., R. Gonzalo, Y. C. Vardaxoglou, and J. M. Baracco, "Electromagnetic bandgap antennas and components for microwave and (sub) millimeter wave application," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 51, No. 10, 2667-2677, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.817566
11. Lee, Y. J., J. Yeo, R. Mittra, and W. S. Park, "Design of highdirectivity electromagnetic band gap (EBG) resonator antenna using a frequency selective surface (FSS) superstrate," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 43, No. 6, 462-467, 2004. doi:10.1002/mop.20502