This paper investigates the characteristics of electromagnetic wave propagation in biaxially anisotropic left-handed materials (BA-LHMs) theoretically and numerically. We discuss under what conditions the anomalous refraction or reflection will occur at the interface when a plane wave passes from one isotropic right-handed material into another BA-LHM. Meanwhile the refraction angle of the wave vector and that of the Poynting power are presented when the anomalous refraction takes place. According to the theoretical analysis,sev eral sets of constitutive parameters of BA-LHMs are considered. Then the anomalous refraction or reflection of the continuous-wave (CW) Gaussian Beam passing from free space into BA-LHMs are simulated by the finite difference time domain (FDTD) method based on the Drude dispersive models. The simulated results are in agreement with theoretical results,which validates the theoretical analysis.
1. Veselago, V. G., "The electrodynamics of substances with simultaneously negative values of ε and Âµ," Sov. Phys. Usp., Vol. 10, 509-515, 1968. doi:10.1070/PU1968v010n04ABEH003699
2. Pendry, J. P., A. J. Holden, D. J. Robbins, and W. J. Stewart, "Low frequency plasmons in thin-wire structures," J. Phys. Condens. Matter., Vol. 10, 4785-4809, 1998. doi:10.1088/0953-8984/10/22/007
3. Pendry, J. P., A. J. Holden, D. J. Robbins, and W. J. Stewart, "Magnetism from conductors and enhanced nonlinear phenomena," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 47, 2075-2084, 1999. doi:10.1109/22.798002
4. Smith, D. R., W. J. Padilla, D. C. Vier, S. C. Nemat-Nassser, and S. Schultz, "Comp osite medium with simultaneously negative permeability and permittivity," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 84, 4184-4187, 2000. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.84.4184
5. Shelby, R. A., D. R. Smith, and S. Schultz, "Exp erimental verification of a negative index of refraction," Science, Vol. 292, 77-79, 2001. doi:10.1126/science.1058847
6. Lindell, I. V., S. A. Tretyakov, K. I. Nikoskinen, and S. Ilvonen, "BW media-media with negative parameters,capable of supporting backward waves," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 31, 129-133, 2001. doi:10.1002/mop.1378
7. Hu, L. B. and S. T. Chui, "Characteristics of electromagnetic wave propagation in uniaxially anisotropic left-handed materials," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 66, 1-7, 2002.
8. Hu, L. B and Z. F. Lin, "Imaging properties of uniaxially anisotropic negative refractive index materials," Phys. Rev. Lett. A, Vol. 313, 316-324, 2003.
9. Karkkainen, M. K., "Numerical study of wave propagation in uniaxially anisotropic Lorentzian backward-wave slabs," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 68, 1-6, 2003. doi:10.1103/PhysRevE.68.026602
10. Geng, Y. L. and S. L. He, "Analytical solution for electromagnetic scattering from a sphere of uniaxial left-handed material," J. Zhejiang Univ. Science A, Vol. 7, 99-104, 2006. doi:10.1631/jzus.2006.A0099
11. Ziolkowski, R. W. and E. Heyman, "W ave propagation in media having negative permittivity and permeability," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 64, 2001. doi:10.1103/PhysRevE.64.056625
12. Ziolkowski, R. W., "Pulsed and CW Gaussian beam interactions with double negative metamaterial slabs," Opt. Express, Vol. 11, 662-681, 2003.
13. Huangfu, J., L. Ran, H. Chen, X. Zhang, K. Chen, T. M. Grzegorczyk, and J. A. Kong, "Exp erimental confirmation of negative refractive index of a metamaterial composed of â„¦-like metallic patterns," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 84, 1537-1539, 2004. doi:10.1063/1.1655673
14. Chen, H., L. Ran, J. Huangfu, X. Zhang, K. Chen, T. M. Grzegorczyk, and J. A. Kong, "Left-handed metamaterials composed of only S-shaped resonators," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 70, 2004.
15. Chen, H., L. Ran, J. Huangfu, X. M. Zhang, K. Chen, T. M. Grzegorczyk, and J. A. Kong, "Magnetic properties of S-shaped split-ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 51, 2005. doi:10.2528/PIER04051201
16. Ran, L., J. Huangfu, H. Chen, X. M. Zhang, K. Chen, T. M. Grzegorczyk, and J. A. Kong, "Exp erimental study on several left-handed matamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 51, 2005. doi:10.2528/PIER04040502
17. Smith, D. R. and D. Schurig, "Electromagnetic wave propagation in media with indefinite permittivity and permeability tensors," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 90, 2003.
18. Kong, J. A., Electromagnetic Wave Theory, EMW, New York, 2000.
19. Cummer, S. A., "P erfectly matched layer behavior in negative refractive index materials," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 3, 2004.