A novel compact dual-band reconfigurable square-ring microstrip antenna is presented. The tuning is achieved using a single varactor diode connected to a small square patch attached to an inner corner of the square-ring. The square patch perturbs the symmetry and splits the two degenerate modes to create dual-band operation. The frequency ratio in the range of 1.04 to 1.4 can be achieved by the proper selection of the square patch size. The lower resonance frequency can be further decreased by loading the square patch at its corner by a reverse biased varactor diode. The diode has almost no effect on the upper resonance frequency. This technique is used to implement an electronically tunable dual-band antenna on FR4 material with εr = 4.5 and 1.5mm thickness. The size of the ring,the square patch,and the varactor used,are selected to yield a fixed upper resonance frequency at about 1.93 GHz. The resulting lower resonance frequency is tuned from 1.37 to 1.7 GHz in the voltage range from 0 to 30 V,resp ectively. The measurements agree well with simulation
1. Garg, R., P . Bhartia, I. Bahl, and A. Ittipiboon, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artec h House, Boston, USA, 2001.
2. Aberle, J. T., S. H. Oh, D. T. Auckland, and S. D. Rogers, "Reconfigurable antennas for portable wireless devices," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 45, No. 6, 148-158, 2003. doi:10.1109/MAP.2003.1282191
3. Yang, X. S., B. Z. Wang, and H. L. Liu, "Reconfigurable Yagi patch array by utilizing odd-even-mode method," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 13, 1725-1738, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779292282
4. Shynu, S. V., G. Augustin, C. K. Aanandan, P . Mohanan, and K. Vasudevan, "Design of compact reconfigurable dual frequency microstrip antennas using varactor diodes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 60, 197-205, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER05120101
5. Mahmoud, S. F. and A. F. Sheta, "Ca vity mode analysis for a rectangular patch with a shorting pin," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 14, 2013-2025, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779322684
6. Bahartia, P . and Bahl, "F requency agile microstrip antenna," Microwave Journal, Vol. 25, No. 10, 67-70, 1982.
7. Panayi, P . K., M. O. Al-Nuaimi, and L. P. Ivrissimtzis, "T uning techniques for planar inverted-F antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 37, No. 16, 1003-1004, 2001. doi:10.1049/el:20010692
8. Virga, K. L. and Y. R. Samii, "Lo w-profile enhanced-bandwidth PIFA antennas for wireless communications packaging," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 45, No. 10, 1879-1888, 1997. doi:10.1109/22.641786
9. Behdad, N. and K. Sarabandi, "A varactor-tuned dual-band slot antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 54, No. 2, 401-408, 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.863373
10. Behdad, N. and K. Sarabandi, "Dual-band reconfigurable antenna with a very wide tenability range," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 54, 409-416, 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.863412
11. Okabe, H. and K. Takei, T unable antenna system for 1.9 GHz PCS handsets, Proc. IEEE AP-Symp., 166-169, 2001.
13. Peroulis, D., K. Sarabandi, and L. Katehi, "Design of reconfigurable slot antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 53, 645-654, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.841339
14. Chen, W. S., "Single-feed dual-frequency rectangular microstrip antenna with square slot," Electron. Lett., Vol. 34, 231-232, 1998. doi:10.1049/el:19980140
15. Eldek, A. A. A. Z. Elsherbeni, and C. E. Smith, "Square slot antenna for dual wideband wireless communication systems," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 19, No. 12, 1571-1581, 2005. doi:10.1163/156939305775537366
16. Bafrooei, P . M., and L. Shafai, "Characteristics of singleand Double layer microstrip square-ring antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 47, No. 10, 1633-1639, 1999. doi:10.1109/8.805910