An algorithm focusing on the occlusions between rays and NURBS surfaces is presented in this paper,where simple geometrical principle which makes the algorithm adequate in possible cases is used. When the ray starts from or ends on the surface,the self-shadowing is also taken into account. The algorithm given can be applied to optical methods like PO GTD or UTD in electromagnetic calculation where shadowing is of key problem and especially when the NURBS modeling is introduced.
"Study on the Occlusions Between Rays and NURBS Surfaces in Optical Methods," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 71, 243-249, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07030401
1. Perez, J. and M. F. Catedra, "Application of physical optics to the RCS computation of bodies modeled with NURBS surfaces," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 42, No. 10, 1404-1411, 1994. doi:10.1109/8.320747
2. Perez, J., J. A. Saiz, and O. M. Conde, "Analysis of antennas on board arbitrary structures modeled by nurbs surfaces," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 45, No. 6, 1045-1053, 1997. doi:10.1109/8.585754
3. Chen, M., Y. Zhang, and C.-H. Liang, "Calculation of the field distribution near electrically large NURBS surfaces with physical optics method," Journal of Electromagnetic Wave Applications, Vol. 19, No. 11, 1511-1524, 2005.
4. Sefi, S., "Ra y tracing tools for high frequency electromagnetics simulations," Licentiate Thesis, 2003.
5. Wang, N., Y. Zhang, and C. H. Liang, "Creeping ray-tracing algorithm of UTD method based on NURBS models with the source on surface," Journal of Electromagnetic Wave Applications, Vol. 20, No. 14, 1981-1990, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779322602
6. Piegl, L., "NURBS: a survey," IEEE Computer Graphics and Application, 1991.