In this paper, the explicit formulas are derived for the six components of the electromagnetic field in air excited by a horizontal electric dipole over a planar high lossy dielectric coated with an anisotropic uniaxial layer. Similar to the case of the three-layered region consisting of air, a uniaxial layer,and a perfect conductor, the total field consists of the direct field,the ideal reflected field or the field of an ideal image, the lateral-wave field,and the trappedsurface- wave field. It should be pointed out that the trapped surface wave can be separated into the trapped wave of electric type and magnetic type. The wave numbers in the ρ̂ direction of electric-type trapped surface wave, which are between k0 and kL, are different from those of the magnetic-type trapped surface wave, which are between k0 and kL . When the thickness l of the uniaxial layer satisfies nπ < kT/kL (k2L - k20)1/2 · l < (n + 1)π, there are n + 1 modes of the electric-type trapped surface waves. When the thickness l satisfies (n − 1/2)π < (k2T −k20)1/2 · l < (n + 1/2)π, there are n modes of magnetictype trapped waves.
"Electromagnetic Field from a Horizontal Electric Dipole on the Surface of a High Lossy Dielectric Coated with a Uniaxial Layer," ,
Vol. 73, 71-91, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07032604
1. King, R. W. P., M. Owens, and T. T. Wu, Lateral Electromagnetic Waves: Theory and Applications to Communications, Geophysical Explorationand Remoting Sensing, Springer-Verlag, 1992.
2. King, R. W. P., "The electromagnetic field of a horizontal electric dipole in the presence of a three-layered region," Journal of Applied Phys., Vol. 69, No. 12, 7987-7995, 1991. doi:10.1063/1.347494
3. King, R. W. P., "The electromagnetic field of a horizontal electric dipole in the presence of a three-layered region: supplement," Journal of Applied Phys., Vol. 74, No. 8, 4845-4548, 1993. doi:10.1063/1.354313
4. King, R. W. P. and S. S. Sandler, "The electromagnetic field of a vertical electric dipole in the presence of a three-layered region," Radio Sci., Vol. 29, No. 1, 97-113, 1994. doi:10.1029/93RS02662
5. Wait, J. R., "Commen t on 'The electromagnetic field of a vertical electric dipole in the presence of a three-layered region' by Ronold, W. P. King and Sheldon S. Sandler," Radio Sci., Vol. 33, No. 2, 251-253, 1998. doi:10.1029/97RS02696
6. King, R. W. P. and S. S. Sandler, "Reply," Radio Sci., Vol. 33, No. 2, 255-256, 1998. doi:10.1029/97RS02695
7. Zhang, H. Q. and W. Y. Pan, "Electromagnetic field of a vertical electric dipole on a perfect conductor coated with a dielectric layer," Radio Science, Vol. 37, No. 4, 13-1, 2002. doi:10.1029/2000RS002348
8. Zhang, H. Q., K. Li, and W. Y. Pan, "The electromagnetic field of a vertical dipole on the dielectric-coated imperfect conductor," J. Electromagn. Wavws and Appl., Vol. 18, 1305-1320, 2004. doi:10.1163/1569393042955009
9. Zhang, H. Q., et al., "Electromagnetic field for a horizontal electric dipole buried inside a dielectric layer coated high lossy half space," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 50, 163-186, 2005. doi:10.2528/PIER04052301
10. Li, K. and Y. Lu, "Electromagnetic field generated by a horizontal electric dipole near the surface of a planar perfect conductor coated with a uniaxial layer," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 53, 3191-3200, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.856305
11. Pan, W. Y., "Surface-w ave propagation along the boundary between sea water and one-dimensionally anisotropic rock," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 58, 3963-3974, 1985. doi:10.1063/1.335571
12. Gradshteyn, I. S. and I. M. Ryzhik, Table of Integrals Series and Products, Academic Press, New York, 1980.