Vectorial modal analysis of a 2-D magneto-dielectric grating structure is presented. The modal analysis is combined with the generalized scattering matrix to obtain the transmission and reflection coefficients of multilayered 2-D magneto-dielectric grating slabs. The results are verified with available commercial codes. Physical interpretation of the grating slab behavior is introduced. An equivalent homogeneous magneto-dielectric slab is found using a simple approach for extracting the equivalent permittivityand permeability. Several examples are presented to find the relation between the physical parameters of magneto-dielectric grating slabs and their equivalent parameters. Emphasis on the possibilityof designing a metamaterial with equivalent negative permittivityand/or negative permeability by using these grating structures is considered.
Allen Wilburn Glisson,
"Analysis of Two-Dimensional Magneto-Dielectric Grating Slab," ,
Vol. 74, 195-216, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07042201
1. Yang, H. Y. D., R. Diaz, and N. G. Alexopoulos, "Reflection and transmission of waves from multilayer structures with planarimplanted periodic material blocks," J. Opt. Soc. Amer. B, Vol. 14, No. 10, 2513-2521, 1997.
3. Holloway, C. L., E. F. Kuester, J. K.-Jarvis, and P. Kabos, "A double negative (DNG) composite medium composed of magnetodielectric spherical particles embedded in a matrix," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 51, No. 10, 2596-2603, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.817563
4. Alu, A. and N. Engheta, "Pairing an epsilon-negative slab with a mu-negative slab: Resonance, anomalous tunneling and transparency," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 51, No. 10, 2558-2571, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.817553
5. Ziolkowski, R. W. and D. Kipple, "Application of double negative materials to increase the power radiated byelectricallysmall antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 51, No. 10, 2626-2640, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.817561
6. Taflove, A. and S. C. Hagness, Computational Electrodynamics: The Finite-Difference Time-Domain Method, 2nd edition, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 2000.
7. Pelosi, G., R. Coccioli, and S. Selleri, Quick Finite Element Method for Electromagnetic Waves, Artech House, 1998.
8. Coves, A., B. Gimeno, A. A. San Blas, A. Vidal, V. E. Boria, and M. V. Andres, "Three-diemensional scattering of dielectric gratings under plane-wave excitation," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 2, 215-218, 2003. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2003.819690
9. Coves, A., B. Gimeno, J. Gil, M. V. Andres, A. A. San Blas, and V. E. Boria, "Full-wave analysis of dielectric frequency-selective surfaces using vectorial modal method," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 52, No. 8, 2091-2099, 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.832507
10. Jarem, J. M. and P. P. Banerjee, Computational Methods for Electromagnetic and Optical Systems, Marcel Dekker, Inc., 2000.
11. Peng, S. T., T. Tamir, and H. L. Bertoni, "Theoryof periodic dielectric waveguides," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Techniques, Vol. 23, No. 1, 123-133, 1975. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1975.1128513
12. Peng, S. T., "Rigorous formulation of scattering and guidance by dielectric grating waveguides: General case of oblique incidence," J. Opt. Soc. Amer. A, Vol. 6, No. 12, 1869-1883, 1989.
13. Mittra, R., C. H. Chan, and T. Cwik, "Techniques for analyzing frequencyselectiv e surfaces-a review," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 76, No. 12, 1593-1615, 1988.
14. Cheng, C.-Y. and R. W. Ziolkowski, "Tailoring double-negative metamaterial responses to achieve anomalous propagation effects along microstrip transmission lines," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 51, No. 12, 2306-2314, 2003. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2003.819193
15. Ran, L., J. Huangfu, H. Chen, X. Zhang, K. Cheng, T. M. Grzegorczyk, and J. A. Kong, "Experimental study on several left-handed metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 51, 249-279, 2005. doi:10.2528/PIER04040502
16. Chew, W. C., Waves and Fields in Inhomogeneous Media, IEEE Press, 1995.
17. Attiya, A. M. and A. Kishk, "Modal analysis of two-dimensional dielectric grating slab excited byan obliquelyinciden t plane wave," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 60, 221-243, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER05110602