The nonlinear scattering effects in optical fiber occur due to inelastic-scattering of a photon to a lower energy photon. This paper describes stimulated Brillouin scattering and stimulated Raman scattering processes. Their thresholds, reduction in power penalty and applications along with comparative study of these effects are also presented.
"Nonlinear Scattering Effects in Optical Fibers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 74, 379-405, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07051102
1. Boyd, R. W., Nonlinear Optics, Academic Press, SanDiego, CA, 1992.
2. Shen, Y. R. and N. Bloembergen, "Theory of stimulated brillouin and raman scattering," Phys. Rev. A, Vol. 137, 1787-1805, 1965. doi:10.1103/PhysRev.137.A1787
3. Singh, S. P. and N. Singh, "Nonlinear effects in optical fibers: origin, management and applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 73, 249-275, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07040201
4. Buckland, E. L. and R. W. Boyd, "Electrostrictive contribution to the intensity-dependent refractive index of optical fiber," Opt. Lett., Vol. 21, 1117-1119, 1996.
5. Buckland, E. L. and R. W. Boyd, "Measurement of the frequency response of the electrostrictive nonlinearity in optical fiber," Opt. Lett., Vol. 22, 676-678, 1997.
6. Agrawal, G. P., Nonlinear Fiber Optics, 3rd edition, Academic Press, SanDiego, CA, 2001.
7. Nikles, M., L. Thevenaz, and P. A. Robert, "Brillouin gain spectrum characterization in single-mode optical fiber," J. Lightwave. Tech., Vol. 15, 1842-1851, 1997. doi:10.1109/50.633570
8. Sternklar, S. and E. Granot, "Narrow spectral response of a Brillouin amplifier," Opt. Lett., Vol. 28, 977-979, 2003. doi:10.1364/OL.28.000977
9. Cotter, D., "Observation of stimulated Brillouin scattering in lowloss silica fiber at 1.3 μm," Electron. Lett., Vol. 18, 495-496, 1982. doi:10.1049/el:19820336
10. Tkach, R. W., A. R. Chraplyvy, and R. M. Derosier, "Spontaneous Brillouin scattering for single-mode optical fiber characterization," Electron. Lett., Vol. 22, 1011-1013, 1986. doi:10.1049/el:19860691
11. Smith, R. G., "Optical power handling capacity of low optical fibers as determined by stimulated Raman and Brillouin scattering," Appl. Opt., Vol. 11, 2489-2494, 1972.
12. Stolen, R. J., "Polarization effects in Raman and Brillouin lasers," IEEE J. Quantum Electron., Vol. QE-15, 1157-1160, 1979. doi:10.1109/JQE.1979.1069913
13. Mao, X. P., R. W. Tkach, A. R. Chraplyvy, R. M. Jopson, and R. M. Dorosier, "Stimulated Brillouin threshold dependence on fiber type and uniformity," IEEE Photonics Tech. Lett., Vol. 4, 66-69, 1992. doi:10.1109/68.124879
14. Ramaswami, R. and K. Sivarajan, Optical Networks—A Practical Perspective, Morgan Kaufmann Pub. Inc., San Francisco, 1998.
15. Forghieri, F., R. W. Tkach, and A. R. Chraplyvy, "Fiber nonlinerities and their impact on transmission systems," Optical Fiber Telecommunications-III, Vol. A, 1997.
16. Fishman, D. A. and J. A. Nagel, "Degradation due to stimulated Brillouin scattering in multigigabit intensity-modulated fiberoptic systems," J. Lightwave Tech., Vol. 11, 1721-1728, 1993. doi:10.1109/50.251167
17. Kee, H. H., G. P. Lees, and T. P. Newson, "All-fiber system for simultaneous interrogation of distributed strain and temperature sensing by spontaneous Brillouin scattering," Opt. Lett., Vol. 25, 1-3, 2000. doi:10.1364/OL.25.000695
18. Kotate, K. and M. Tanaka, "Distributed fiber Brillouin strain sensing with 1-cm spatial resolution by correlation-based continuous-wave technique," IEEE Photon. Tech. Lett., Vol. 14, 179-181, 2002. doi:10.1109/68.980502
19. Pannell, C. N., P. St. J. Russell, and T. P. Newson, "Stimulated Brillouin scattering in optical fibers: the effect of optical amplification," J. Opt. Soc. Amer. B, Vol. 10, 684-690, 1993.
20. Lan, G.-L., P. K. Banerjee, and S. S. Mitra, "Raman scattering in optical fibers," J. of Raman Spectrosc., Vol. 11, 416-423, 1981. doi:10.1002/jrs.1250110521
21. Shibate, N., M. Horigudhi, and T. Edahiro, "Raman spectra of binary high-silica glasses and fibers containing GeO2, P2O5 and B2O3," J. of Non-crystalline Solids, Vol. 45, 115-126, 1981. doi:10.1016/0022-3093(81)90096-X
22. Bromage, J., "Raman amplification for fiber communication systems," J. Lightwave. Tech., Vol. 22, 79-93, 2004. doi:10.1109/JLT.2003.822828
23. Lewis, S. A. E., S. V. Chernikov, and J. R. Taylor, "Temperature dependent gain and noise in fiber Raman amplifier," Opt. Lett., Vol. 24, 1823-1825, 1999.
24. Stolen, R. H., E. P. Ippen, and A. R. Tynes, "Raman oscillation in glass optical waveguide," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 20, 62-64, 1972. doi:10.1063/1.1654046
25. Stolen, R. H. and E. P. Ippen, "Raman gain in glass optical waveguides," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 22, 276-278, 1973. doi:10.1063/1.1654637
26. Tomlinson, W. J. and R. H. Stolen, "Nonlinear phenomenon in optical fibers," IEEE Commun. Mag., Vol. 26, No. 4, 36-44, 1988. doi:10.1109/MCOM.1988.982296
27. Ohmori, Y., Y. Sasaki, and T. Edahiro, "Fiber-length dependence of critical power for stimulated Raman scattering," Electron. Lett., Vol. 17, No. 17, 593-594, 1981. doi:10.1049/el:19810417
28. Back, S. H. and W. B. Roh, "Single-mode Raman fiber laser based on a multimode fiber," Opt. Lett., Vol. 29, 153-155, 2004. doi:10.1364/OL.29.000153
29. Karpov, V. I., E. M. Dianov, V. M. Paramonoc, O. I. Medvedkov, M. M. Bubnov, S. L. Semyonov, S. A. Vasiliev, V. N. Protopopov, D. N. Egorova, V. F. Hopkin, A. N. Guryanov, M. P. Bachymki, and W. Clements, "Laser-diode pumped phosphosilicate-fiber Raman laser with an output power of 1W at 1.48 nm," Opt. Lett., Vol. 24, 887-889, 1999.
30. Aoki, Y., "Properties of Raman amplifier and their applicability to digital optical communication systems," J. Lightwave. Tech., Vol. LT-6, 1225-1239, 1988. doi:10.1109/50.4120
31. Bars, F. and L. Resnic, "On the theory of the electromagnetic wave-propagation through inhomogeneous dispersive media," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 19, No. 7, 925-931, 2005. doi:10.1163/156939305775468714
32. Wang, S., X. Guan, D.Wang, X. Ma, and Y. Su, "Electromagnetic scattering by mixed conducting/dielectric objects using high-order MOM," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 66, 51-63, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06092101
33. Anupam, R., M. Chandran, C. K. Anandan, P. Mohanan, and K. Vasudevan, "Scattering behavior of fractal based metallodielectric structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 69, 323-339, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER06122001
34. Brown, A. W., B. G. Colpitts, and K. Brown, "Darkpulse Brillouin optical time-domain sensor with 20-mm spatial resolution," J. of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 25, No. 1, 381-386, 2007. doi:10.1109/JLT.2006.886672
35. Misas, C. J., P. Petropoulos, and D. J. Richardson, "Slowing of pulses to c/10 with subwatt power levels and low latency using Brillouin amplification in a bismuth-oxide optical fiber," J. of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 25, No. 1, 216-221, 2007. doi:10.1109/JLT.2006.887185
36. Brown, K. C., T. H. Russell, T. G. Alley, and W. B. Roh, "Passive combination of multiple beams in an optical fiber via stimulated Brillouin scattering," Optics Letters, Vol. 32, No. 9, 1047-1049, 2007. doi:10.1364/OL.32.001047
37. Song, K. Y., M. Herraez, and L. Thevenaz, "Observation of pulse delaying and advancement in optical fibers using stimulated Brillouin scattering," Optics Express, Vol. 13, No. 1, 82-88, 2005. doi:10.1364/OPEX.13.000082
38. Kalosha, V. P., L. Chen, and X. Bao, "Slow and fast light via SBS in optical fibers for short pulses and broadband pump," Optics Express, Vol. 14, No. 26, 12693-12703, 2006. doi:10.1364/OE.14.012693
39. Zou, L., X. Bao, F. Ravet, and L. Chen, "Distributed Brillouin fiber sensor for detecting pipeline buckling in an energy pipe under internal pressure," Applied Optics, Vol. 45, No. 14, 3372-3377, 2006. doi:10.1364/AO.45.003372
40. Huang, J., J. Lin, R. Su, J. Li, H. Zheng, C. Xu, F. Shi, Z. Lin, J. Zhuang, W. Zeng, and W. Lin, "Short pulse eye-safe laser with a stimulated Raman scattering self-conversion based on a Nd:KGW crystal," Optics Letters, Vol. 32, No. 9, 1096-1098, 2007. doi:10.1364/OL.32.001096