In this paper, we present a new scheme for the realization of a wide-band chaotic RADAR system. The remarkable characteristics of such scheme are: (1) Wide-band chaotic signal generated from microwave chaotic Colpitts oscillator is directly used as the RADAR signal; (2) Chaos synchronization is used to recover the chaotic signal from the back-scattered signal by targets; (3) The intrinsic sensitivities of the chaotic signal to the parameters of the chaotic circuit and to the initial conditions are used to realize the "multi-user" property. System simulations show that such RADAR can still work in an environment when the signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) is lower than −20dB.
1. Wang, S., X. Guan, D. Wang, X. Ma, and Y. Su, "Fast calculation of wide-band responses of complex radar targets," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 68, 185-196, 2007.
2. Alyt, O. M., A. S. Omar, and A. Z. Elsherbeni, "Detection and localization of RF radar pulses in noise environments using wavelet packet transform and higher order statistics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 58, 301-317, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER05070204
3. Zang, W., Z. G. Shi, S. C. Du, and K. S. Chen, "Novel roughening method for reentry vehicle tracking using particle filter," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 21, No. 14, 1969-1981, 2007.
5. Argyris, A., et al., "Chaos-based communications at high bit rates using commercial fibre-optic links," Nature, Vol. 438, 343-346, 2005. doi:10.1038/nature04275
6. Shen, Y., W. H. Shang, and G. S. Liu, Ambiguity function of chaotic phase modulated radar signals, IEEE Fourth International Conference on Signal Processing Proceedings, Vol. 2, 1574-1577, 1998.
7. Liu, G. S., H. Gu, and W. M. Su, "Development of random signal radars," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 35, No. 3, 770-777, 1999. doi:10.1109/7.784050
8. Weinberg, G. V. and A. Alexopoulos, "Examples of a class of chaotic radar signals," Defence Science and Technology Organisation, No. 8, 2005.
9. Hara, Y., et al., Development of a chaotic signal radar system for vehicular collision-avoidance, Proceeding of IEEE Radar Conference, 227-232, 2002.
10. Lin, F. Y. and J. M. Liu, "Chaotic radar using nonlinear laser dynamics," IEEE J. Quantum Electron., Vol. 40, No. 6, 815-820, 2004. doi:10.1109/JQE.2004.828237
11. Fortuna, L., M. Frasca, and A. Rizzo, "Chaotic pulse position modulation to improve the efficiency of sonar sensors," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 52, No. 6, 1809-1814, 2003. doi:10.1109/TIM.2003.820452
12. Barahona, M. and C. S. Pooh, "Detection of nonlinear dynamics in short, noisy time series," Nature, Vol. 381, 215-217, 1996. doi:10.1038/381215a0
13. Tsonis, A. A. and J. B. Elsner, "Nonlinear prediction as a way of distinguishing chaos from random fractal sequences," Nature, Vol. 358, 217-220, 1992. doi:10.1038/358217a0
14. Haykin, S. and X. B. Li, Detection of signals in chaos, Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 83, No. 1, 94-122, 1995.
15. Mykolaitis, G., A. Tamasevicius, and S. Bumeliene, "Experimental demonstration of chaos from Colpitts oscillator in VHF and UHF ranges," Electronics Letters, Vol. 40, No. 2, 91-92, 2004. doi:10.1049/el:20040074
16. Shi, Z. G. and L. X. Ran, "Microwave chaotic Colpitts resonator: design, implementation and applications," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 20, No. 10, 1335-1349, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779276802
17. Kennedy, M. P., "Chaos in the Colpitts oscillator," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems, Vol. 41, No. 11, 771-774, 1994. doi:10.1109/81.331536
18. Maggio, G. M., O. D. Feo, and M. P. Kennedy, "Nonlinear analysis of the Colpitts oscillator and applications to design," IEEE Trans. Circuits and Systems-I, Vol. 46, No. 9, 1118-1130, 1999. doi:10.1109/81.788813
19. Shi, Z. G. and L. X. Ran, "Design of chaotic Colpitts oscillator with prescribed frequency distribution," International Journal of Nonlinear Science and Numerical Simulation, Vol. 5, No. 1, 89-94, 2004.
20. Shi, Z. G., Y. Zhang, H. W. Liu, and L. X. Ran, "Randomness test of signal generated by microwave chaotic Colpitts oscillator," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 49, No. 8, 1981-1984, 2007. doi:10.1002/mop.22565
21. Kolumban, G., M. P. Kennedy, and L. O.Chua, "The role of synchronization in digital communication using chaos-part II," IEEE Trans. Circuits and Systems-I, Vol. 45, No. 11, 1129-1140, 1998. doi:10.1109/81.735435
22. Pecora, L. M. and T. L. Carroll, "Driving systems with chaotic signals," Physical Review A, Vol. 44, No. 4, 2374-2383, 1991. doi:10.1103/PhysRevA.44.2374
23. Shi, Z. G., L. X. Ran, and K. S. Chen, "Error feedback synchronization of chaotic Colpitts Circuit," the 46th IEEE MWSCAS, Vol. 1, 225-228, 2003.
24. Shi, Z. G., L. X. Ran, and K. S. Chen, "Multiplexing chaotic signals generated by Colpitts oscillator and Chua circuit using dual synchronization," Chinese Physics Letters, Vol. 22, No. 6, 1336-1339, 2005. doi:10.1088/0256-307X/22/6/011
25. Shi, Z. G., J. T. Huangfu, and L. X. Ran, "Performance comparison of two synchronization schemes for Colpitts circuits based chaotic communication system over noisy channel," The 5th World Congress on Intelligent Control and Automation, Vol. 6, 1276-1279, 2004.
26. Myneni, K. and T. A.Thomas, "New method for the control of fast chaotic oscillations," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 83, No. 11, 175-2178, 1999. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.83.2175
27. Sharma, N. and E. Ott, "Synchronization-based noise reduction method for communication," Physical Review E, Vol. 58, No. 6, 8005-8008, 1998. doi:10.1103/PhysRevE.58.8005
28. Li, Y. and B. J. Yang, Introduction to Detection of Chaotic Attractors, Publishing House of Electronics Industry, 2004.