In this paper, we propose an optimization method based on real-coded genetic algorithm (GA) with elitist strategy for thinning a large linear array of uniformly excited isotropic antennas to yield the maximum relative sidelobe level (SLL) equal to or below a fixed level. The percentage of thinning is always kept equal to or above a fixed value. Two examples have been proposed and solved with different objectives and with different value of percentage of thinning that will produce nearly the same sidelobe level. Directivities of the thinned arrays are found out and simulation results of different problems are also compared with published results to illustrate the effectiveness of the proposed method.
1. Elliott, R. S., Antenna Theory and Design, Revised edition, John Wiley, New Jersey, 2003.
2. Mahanti, G. K., A. Chakraborty, and S. Das, "Design of phase-differentiated reconfigurable array antennas with minimum dynamic range ratio," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 5, 262-264, 2006. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2006.875899
3. Ares Pena, F. J., J. A. Rodriguez, E. V. Lopez, and S. R. Rengarajan, "Genetic algorithms in the design and optimization of antenna array patterns," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 47, No. 3, 506-510, 1999. doi:10.1109/8.768786
4. Gies, D. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Particle swarm optimization for reconfigurable phase-differentiated array design," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 38, No. 3, 168-175, 2003. doi:10.1002/mop.11005
6. Quevedo-Teruel, ´ O. and E. Rajo-Iglesias, "Ant colony optimization in thinned array synthesis with minimum sidelobe level," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 5, 349-352, 2006. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2006.880693
7. Haupt, R. L., "Thinned arrays using genetic algorithms," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 42, No. 7, 993-999, 1994. doi:10.1109/8.299602
8. Haupt, R. L., "Interleaved thinned linear arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 9, 2858-2864, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.854522
9. Schwartzman, L., "Element behavior in a thinned array," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 15, No. 7, 571-572, 1967. doi:10.1109/TAP.1967.1138989
10. Banerjee, S., C. Grosan, A. Abraham, and P. K. Mahanti, "Intrusion detection in sensor networks using emotional ants," International Journal ofApplie d Science and Computations, Vol. 12, No. 3, 152-173, 2005.
11. Abraham, A., S. Philip, and P. K. Mahanti, "Soft computing models for weather forecasting," International Journal ofApplie d Science and Computations, Vol. 11, No. 3, 106-117, 2004.
13. Rahmat-Samii, Y. and E. Michielssen (Eds.), Electromagnetic Optimization by Genetic Algorithms, Wiley, New York, 1999.
14. Johnson, J. M. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Genetic algorithms in engineering electromagnetics," IEEE Antennas Propagat. Mag., Vol. 39, 7-25, 1997. doi:10.1109/74.632992
15. Lee, K. C. and J. Y. Jhang, "Application of particle swarm algorithm to the optimization of unequally spaced antenna arrays," Journal ofEle ctromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 14, 2001-2012, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779322747
16. Mahanti, G. K., A. Chakraborty, and S. Das, "Design of fully digital controlled reconfigurable array antennas with fixed dynamic range ratio," Journal ofEle ctromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 1, 97-106, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307779391768
17. Mahanti, G. K., A. Chakrabarty, and S. Das, "Phase-only and amplitude-phase synthesis of dual-pattern linear antenna arrays using floating-point genetic algorithms," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 68, 247-259, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER06072301
18. Akdagli, A., K. Guney, and B. Babayigit, "Clonal selection algorithm for design of reconfigurable antenna array with discrete phase shifters," Journal ofEle ctromagnetic Waves and Application, Vol. 21, No. 2, 215-227, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307779378808
19. Guney, K. and M. Onay, "Amplitude-only pattern nulling of linear antenna arrays with the use of bees algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 21-36, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07011204