Awideband E-shaped microstrip patch antenna has been designed for high-speed wireless local area networks (IEEE 802.11a standard) and other wireless communication systems covering the 5.15-5.825 GHz frequency band. Two parallel slots are incorporated to perturb the surface current path, introducing local inductive effect that is responsible for the excitation of the second resonant mode. The length of the center arm can be trimmed to tune the frequency of the second resonant mode without affecting the fundamental resonant mode. Acomprehensiv e parametric study has been carried out to understand the effects of various dimensional parameters and to optimize the performance of the antenna. Asubstrate of low dielectric constant is selected to obtain a compact radiating structure that meets the demanding bandwidth specification. The reflection coefficient at the input of the optimized E-shaped microstrip patch antenna is below -10 dB over the entire frequency band. The measurement results are in excellent agreement with the HFSS simulation results.
1. Ayoub, A. F. A., "Analysis of rectangular microstrip antennas with air substrates," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 17, No. 12, 1755-1766, 2003. doi:10.1163/156939303322760335
2. Vetharatnam, G., B. K. Chung, and H. T. Chuah, "Design of a microstrip patch antenna array for airborne SAR applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 19, No. 12, 1687-1701, 2005. doi:10.1163/156939305775537447
3. Yang, F., X. X. Zhang, X. Ye, and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Wide-band E-shaped patch antennas for wireless communications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 49, No. 7, 1094-1100, 2001. doi:10.1109/8.933489
4. Wong, K. L. and W. H. Hsu, "Abroad-band rectangular patch antenna with a pair of wide slits," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 49, No. 9, 1345-1347, 2001. doi:10.1109/8.951507
5. Ge, Y., K. P. Esselle, and T. S. Bird, "E-shaped patch antennas for high-speed wireless networks," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 52, No. 12, 3213-3219, 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.836412
6. Ge, Y., K. P. Esselle, and T. S. Bird, "Acompact E-shaped patch antenna with corrugated wings," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 54, No. 8, 2411-2413, 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.877204
7. Yu, A. and X. X. Zhang, A method to enhance the bandwidth of microstrip antennas using a modified E-shaped patch, Proceedings of Radio and Wireless Conference, 10-13, 2003.
8. Lee, K. F., et al., Experimental and simulation studies of the coaxially fed U-slots rectangular patch antenna, IEE Proc. Microw. Antenna Propag., Vol. 144, No. 5, 354-358, 1997.
9. Rafi, G. and L. Shafai, Broadband microstrip patch antenna with V-slot, IEE Proc. Microw. Antenna Propag., Vol. 151, No. 5, 435-440, 2004.
10. Sim, C. Y. D., J. S. Row, and Y. Y. Liou, "Experimental studies of a shorted triangular microstrip antenna embedded with dual V-shaped slots," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 1, 15-24, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307779391777