In this paper,pattern search (PS) algorithms are introduced as a new tool for array thinning. It is shown that by selection of a fitness function which controls more than one parameter of the array pattern,and also by proper setting of weight factors in fitness function,one can achieve very good results. The method is tested on linear arrays of isotropic and non-isotropic elements and is shown to be useful in both cases. Mainlobe scanning to different angles is also tested and the results are success. In all cases studied in this paper,relativ e sidelobe level (SLL) is less than −20 dB with only small increase in mainlobe beamwidth compared to the case of a uniform array. Results of PS optimization are compared in two cases,whic h their starting points of optimization are different from each other. There is also a comparison made between results of array thinning using Genetic Algorithm (GA) and PS,and PS is shown to be a fast and reliable algorithm to be used in array thinning problem.
"Thinned Arrays Using Pattern Search Algorithms," ,
Vol. 78, 61-71, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07081501
1. Haupt, R. L., "An introduction to genetic algorithms for electromagnetics," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 37, No. 2, 1995. doi:10.1109/74.382334
2. Donelli, M., S. Caorsi, F. DeNatale, M. Pastorino, and A. Massa, "Linear antenna synthesis with a hybrid genetic algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 49, 1-22, 2004. doi:10.2528/PIER03121301
3. Haupt, R. L., "Thinned arrays using genetic algorithms," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 42, No. 7, 993-999, 1994. doi:10.1109/8.299602
4. Johnson, J. M. and Y. Rahmat Samii, "Genetic algorithms in engineering electromagnetics," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 39, No. 4, 1997. doi:10.1109/74.632992
5. Mahanti, G. K., A. Chakraborty, and S. Das, "Design of fully digital controlled reconfigurable array antennas with fixed dynamic range ratio," Journal of electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 1, 97-106, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307779391768
6. Gies, D. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "P article swarm optimization for reconfigurable phase-differentiated array design," Microwave Opt. Technol.L ett., Vol. 38, No. 3, 168-175, 2003. doi:10.1002/mop.11005
7. Lee, K. C. and J. Y. Jhang, "Application of particle swarm algorithm to the optimization of unequally spaced antenna arrays," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 14, 2001-2012, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779322747
8. Mahanti, G. K., N. Pathak, and P. Mahanti, "Syn thesis of thinned linear antenna arrays with fixed sidelobe level using realcoded genetic algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 75, 319-328, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07061304
9. Ebadi, S., K. Forooraghi, and S. A. Sattarzadeh, "Optim um low sidelobe level phased array antenna design using pattern search algorithms," 2005 IEEE Int'l Symposium on Antennas and Propagation and USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, No. 7, 2005.
10. Babayigit, B., A. Akdagli, and K. Guney, "A clonal selection algorithm for null synthesizing of linear antenna arrays by amplitude control," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Application, Vol. 20, 1007-1020, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306776930222
11. Akdagli, A., K. Guney, and B. Babayigit, "Clonal selection algorithm for design of reconfigurable antenna array with discrete phase shifters," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Application, Vol. 21, No. 2, 215-227, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307779378808
12. Guney, K. and M. Onay, "Amplitude-only pattern nulling of linear antenna arrays with the use of bees algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 21-36, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07011204
13. Lewis, R. M., V. Torczon, and M. W. Trosset, "Direct search methods: then and now," Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics, Vol. 124, No. 1-2, 191-207, 2000. doi:10.1016/S0377-0427(00)00423-4
14. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory, 3rd edition, Wiley Interscience, 2005.