Helical antenna and planar inverted-F antenna (PIFA) are two commonly used handset antennas. This paper presents a comprehensive study on the performance of a dual band PIFA and a dual band helical antenna designed for operating in GSM900 and DCS1800 frequency bands. Radiation patterns and VSWR of these antennas are computed in free space as well as in the presence of head and hand. The specific absorption rate (SAR) of the helical antenna is calculated and compared with that of the PIFA handset antenna. The peak average SAR in the head is compared with SAR limits in the safety standards and so the maximum radiation power of each antenna is determined. In addition, radiation efficiencies of these handset antennas are computed in the presence of head and hand. All numerical simulations are performed using the Ansoft HFSS software. Numerical simulations results are in good agreement with published measurement results.
1. ICNIRP (International Commission on Non-Ionizing Radiation), "Guidelines for limiting exposure to time-varying electric, magnetic, and electromagnetic fields (up to 300 GHz)," Health Physics, Vol. 74, 494-522, 1988.
2. IEEE Std C95.1(tm)-2005, IEEE standard for safety levels with respect to human exposure to radio frequency electromagnetic fields 3 kHz to 300 GHz, IEEE, New York, 2005.
3. Yoshida, K., A. Hirata, Z. Kawasaki, and T. Shiozawa, "Human head modeling for handset antenna design at 5GHz band," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Application, Vol. 19, No. 3, 401-411, 2005. doi:10.1163/1569393054139679
4. Kiminami, K., A. Hirata, Y. Horii, and T. Shiozawa, "A Study on human body modeling for the mobile terminal antenna design at 400MHz band," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Application, Vol. 19, No. 5, 671-687, 2005. doi:10.1163/1569393053305080
5. Jensen, M. A. and Y. Rahamat-Samii, EM interaction of handset antennas and a human in personal communication, Proceeding of the IEEE, Vol. 83, No. 1, 7-17, 1995.
6. Yioultsis, T. V., T. I. Kosmanis, E. P. Kosmidou, T. T. Zygiridis, N. V. Kantartzis, T. D. Xenos, and T. D. Tsiboukis, "A comparative study of the biological effects of various mobile phone and wireless LAN antennas," IEEE Trans. Magnetics, Vol. 38, No. 3, 777-780, 2002. doi:10.1109/20.996201
7. Saraereh, O. A., M. Jayawadene, P. McEvoy, and J. C. Vardaxoglou, "Simulation and experimental SAR and efficiency study for a dual-band PIFA handset antenna (GSM 900/DCS 1800) at varied distances from a phantom head," Technical Seminar on Antenna Measurements and SAR(AMS), 5-8, 2004. doi:10.1049/ic:20040066
8. Jin, M., Z. Ying, and S. He, The impact of mobile shell materials on SAR, Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference Proceedings, Vol. 5, 2005.
9. Li, Z. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, SAR in PIFA handset antenna designs: an overall system perspective, IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 2B, 784-787, 2005.
10. Kildal, P. S. and C. Carlson, Comparison between head losses of 20 phones with external and built-in antennas measured in reverberation chamber, IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 1, 436-439, 2002.
11. Kouveliotis, N. K., S. C. Panagiotou, P. K. Varlamos, and C. N. Capsalis, "Theoritical approach of the interaction between a human head model and a mobile handset helical antenna using numerical methods," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 65, 309-327, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06101901
12. Popović, M., Q. Han, and H. Kanj, "A parallel study of SAR levels in head tissues for three antennas used in cellular telephones: monopole, helix and patch," Springer Earth and Environmental Science, Vol. 25, No. 2-4, 215-221, 2005.
13. Ebrahimi-Ganjeh, M. A. and A. R. Attari, Calculation of Specific Absorption Rate (SAR) and studying the radiation performance of the helical antenna, in presence of head and hand model for 900 MHz, presented in 15th Iranian Conference on Electrical Engineering (ICEE2007), 15-17, 2007.
14. Kuo, L.-C., Y.-C. Kan, and H.-R. Chuang, "Analysis of a 900/1800-MHz dual-band gap loop antenna on a handset with proximate head and hand model," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Application, Vol. 21, No. 1, 107-122, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307779391722
15. IEEE Std 1528TM-2003, IEEE recommended practice for determining the peak spatial-average Specific Absorption Rate (SAR) in the human head from wireless communications devices: measurement techniques, IEEE recommended practice for determining the peak spatial-average Specific Absorption Rate (SAR) in the human head from wireless communications devices: measurement techniques, IEEE, New York, 2003.
17. Stevens, N.and L.Martens, "Comparison of averaging procedures for SAR distributions at 900 and 1800 MHz," IEEE, Vol. 48, No. 11, 2180-2184, 2000.
18. Vorst, A.V., A.Rosen, and Y.Kotsuk a, RF/Microwave Interaction with Biological Tissues, John Wiley, 2006.
19. Ibrahiem, A. and C. Dale, "Analysis of the temperature increase linked to the power induced by RF source," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 52, 23-46, 2005. doi:10.2528/PIER04062501
20. Gabriel, C., S.Gabriely, and E.Corthout, "The dielectric properties of biological tissues: I.Literature survey," Phys. Med. Biol., Vol. 41, 2231-2249, 1996. doi:10.1088/0031-9155/41/11/001
21. Gabriel, C., "Compilation of the dielectric properties of body tissues at RF and microwave frequencies," Armstrong Lab., No. 6, 1996-0037, 1996.
22. Gandhi, O.P ., G.Lazzi, and C.M.F urse, "Electromagnetic absorption in the human head and neck for mobile telephones at 835MHz and 1900 MHz," IEEE Trans. MTT, Vol. 44, No. 10, 1884-1897, 1996. doi:10.1109/22.539947
23. Kang, X.K., L.W.Li, M.S.Leong, and P.S.Ko oi, "A spheroidal vector wave function analysis of field and SAR distributions in a dielectric prolate spheroidal human head model," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 22, 149-179, 1999. doi:10.2528/PIER98090901
24. Francavilla, M., A.Sc hiavoni, P.b ertotto, and G.Ric hiardi, Effect of hand on cellular phone radiation, IEE Proc. Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 148, No. 4, 2001.
25. Yu, Q.and O.P .Gandhi, "An automated SAR measurement system for compliance testing of personal wireless devices," IEEE Trans. EMC, Vol. 41, No. 3, 234-244, 1999.
26. Pisa, S., M.Ca vagnaro, V.Lopresto, E.Piuzzi, G.A.Lo visolo, and P.Bernardi, "A procedure to develop realistic numerical models of cellular phones for an accurate evaluation of SAR distribution in the human head," IEEE Trans. MTT, Vol. 53, No. 4, 1256-1265, 2005. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.845754
27. Abedin, M.F.and M.Ali, "Modifying the ground plane and its effect on planar inverted-F antennas (PIFA) for mobile phone handsets," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Letters, Vol. 2, 226-229, 2003. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2003.819669
28. Chen, Z. N., Antennas for Portable Devices, Wiley, 2007.