In this paper a dual band circularly polarized antenna is designed, fabricated, and measured. Based on the concept of composite right and left handed (CRLH) metamaterials, the same phase constants and current distributions on the ring antenna are achieved at two frequency bands. Thus, the antenna has similar radiation patterns at both bands. The circular polarization is implemented by feeding two vertical ports from power dividers that provide equal magnitudes and quadrature phase excitations.
"A Dual Band Circularly Polarized Ring Antenna Based on Composite Right and Left Handed Metamaterials," ,
Vol. 78, 73-81, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07082902
2. Lau, K. L. and K. M. Luk, "A wide band circularly polarized L-probe coupled patch antenna for dual band operation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 8, 2636-2644, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.851818
3. Su, C. W., C. M. Su, and K. L. Wong, "Compact dual band circularly polarized antenna for GPS/ETC operation on vehicles," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 40, No. 6, 509-511, 2004. doi:10.1002/mop.20018
4. Sudha, T. and T. S. Vedevathy, "A dual band circularly polarized microstrip antenna on an EBG substrate," IEEE AP-Symposium Digest, 68-71, 2002.
5. Avitabile, G., S. Maci, F. Bonifacio, and G. Salvador, "Dual band circularly polarized patch antenna," IEEE AP-Symposium Digest, 290-293, 1994.
6. Liu, Z. D., P. S. Hall, and D. Wake, "Dual frequency planar circularly polarized antenna at S and L bands," Tenth International Conference on Antennas and Propagation, No. 4, 14-17, 1997.
7. Jung, C., M. Lee, S. Liu, G. P. Li, and F. D. Flaviis, "Reconfigurable patch antenna for frequency diversity with high frequency ratio (1.6:1)," International Telemetry Conference, No. 10, 24-27, 2005.
8. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "A reconfigurable patch antenna using switchable slots for circular polarization diversity," Microwave and Wireless Component Letters, Vol. 12, No. 3, 96-98, 2002. doi:10.1109/7260.989863
9. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, Electromagnetic Metamaterials, Transmission Line Theory and Microwave Applications, Wiley, New York, 2006.
10. Otto, S., A. Rennings, C. Caloz, P. Waldow, and T. Itoh, "Composite right/left-handed λ-resonator ring antenna for dual frequency operation," IEEE AP-Symposium Digest, 684-687, 2005.
11. Yang, R., Y. Xie, P. Wang, and T. Yang, "Conjugate left-and right-handed material bilayered substrates qualify the subwavelength cavity resonator microstrip antennas as sensors," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 20, No. 15, 2113-2122, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779322486
12. Chen, H., B.-I. Wu, and J. A. Kong, "Review of electromagnetic theory in left-handed materials," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 20, No. 15, 2137-2151, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779322585
13. Grzegorczyk, T. M. and J. A. Kong, "Review of left-handed metamaterials: evolution from theoretical and numerical studies to potential applications," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 20, No. 14, 2053-2064, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779322620
14. Yang, R., Y. Xie, P. Wang, and L. Li, "Microstrip antennas with left-handed materials substrates," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 20, No. 9, 1221-1233, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306777442908
15. Xu, W., L.-W. Li, H.-Y. Yao, and T.-S. Yeo, "Left-handed material effects on waves modes and resonant frequencies: filled waveguide structures and substrate-loaded patch antennas," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 19, No. 15, 2033-2047, 2005. doi:10.1163/156939305775570459
16. Wu, B.-I., W. Wang, J. Pacheco, X. Chen, T. Grzegorczyk, and J. A. Kong, "A study of using metamaterials as antenna substrate to enhance gain," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 51, 295-328, 2005. doi:10.2528/PIER04070701
17. Sui, Q., C. Li, L. L. Li, and F. Li, "Experimental study of λ/4 monopole antennas in a left-handed meta-material," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 51, 281-293, 2005. doi:10.2528/PIER04011202
18. Semichaevsky, A. and A. Akyurtlu, "Homogenization of metamaterial-loaded substrates and superstrates for antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 71, 129-147, 2005. doi:10.2528/PIER07021001
19. Yu, A., F. Yang, and A. Elsherbeni, "Circularly polarized dual band ring antenna using composite right and left handed metamaterial," The First European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, No. 11, 532-536, 2006.