A novel miniaturized circularly-polarized antenna is presented. By using tapered meander-line structure, the designed antenna has a size reduction rate of 96% compared with a traditional turnstile dipole antenna. The unequal lengths of the two meanderline dipoles are properly adjusted to achieve a circularly polarized radiation. Furthermore, the impedance matching is effectively realized by a lumped matching network. A prototype of the antenna with a size of 64 × 64mm2 has been implemented and tested. Good agreement is achieved between the simulated results and the measured results, which shows that the axial ratio is less than 3.0 dB and the VSWR less than 2.0:1 in the frequency range of 450 ± 1.5 MHz.
1. Milligan, T. A., Modern Antenna Design, 2nd edition, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, New Jersey, 2005.
2. Fujimoto, K. and J. R. James, Mobile Antenna Systems Handbook, 2nd edition, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 2001.
3. Wong, K. L., Compact and Broadband Microstrip Antennas, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, 2002.
4. Bahl, I. J., P. Bhartia, A. Ittipiboon, and R. Garg, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House, 2001.
5. Wang, Y. J., C. K. Lee, and K. W. Jin, "On reducing the overall dimensions of a circular printed antenna," Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 1, No. Eleventh International Conference on (IEE Conf. Publ. 480), 57-60, 2001.
6. Michishita, N. and Y. Yamada, "High efficiency achievement by material loading for a piled type small meander line antenna," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 1B, 492-495, 2005.
7. Wheeler, H. A., "Small antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 23, No. 4, 462-469, 1975. doi:10.1109/TAP.1975.1141115
8. Ali, M. and S. S. Stuchly, "A meander-line bow-tie antenna," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 3, 1566-1569, 1996.
9. Shams, K. M. Z., M. Ali, and H. S. Hwang, "A planar inductively coupled bow-tie slot antenna for WLAN application," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, 861-871, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306776149879
10. Chen, X. and K. Huang, "Wideband properties of fractal bowtie dipoles," Journal ofEle ctromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 11, 1511-1518, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779274345
11. Gao, S. and A. Sambell, "A simple broadband printed antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 60, 119-130, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER05092603
12. Zhou, H. J., Q. Z. Liu, J. F. Li, and J. L. Guo, "A swallow-tailed wideband planar monopole antenna with semi-elliptical base," Journal ofEle ctromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 9, 1257-1264, 2007.
13. Lin, Y. D. and S.-N. Tsai, "Coplanar waveguide-fed uniplanar bow-tie antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 45, No. 2, 305-306, 1997. doi:10.1109/8.560350
14. Soliman, E. A., S. Berbels, P. Delmotte, G. A. E. Vandenbosch, and E. Beyne, "Bow-tie slot antenna fed by CPW," Electron Letters, Vol. 35, 514-515, 1999. doi:10.1049/el:19990399