We propose an integral-equation formulation for analyzing EM field of 2-D dielectric waveguide devices. The complex 2-D device is first divided into slices of 1-D horizontally layered structures. The entire EM solutions are determined by transverse field functions on the interfaces between slices. These functions are governed by a system of integral equations whose kernels are constructed from layer modes of each slice. These unknown tangential field functions are expanded as some linear combination of known basis functions. Various waveguide devices such as multi-mode interferometers, waveguide crossing and quasi-adiabatic tapered waveguides can be formulated and studied using present formulation.
"Field Analysis of Dielectric Waveguide Devices Based on Coupled Transverse-Mode Integral Equation - Mathematical and Numerical Formulations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 78, 329-347, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07091002
1. Lin, C. F., Optical Components for Communications, Kluwer Academic Publishing, Boston, 2004.
2. Pavesi, L. and G. Guillot, Optical Interconnects, the Silicon Approach, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 2006.
3. Chen, C. L., Foundations for Guided-Wave Optics, Wiley- Interscience, New Jersey, 2007.
4. Cheng, Y. H. and W. G. Lin, "Investigation of rectangular dielectric waveguides: an iteratively equivalent index method," IEE Proc. Opto-Electron., Vol. 137, 323-329, 1990.
5. Lee, J. S. and S. Y. Shin, "On the validity of the effectiveindex method for rectangular dielectric waveguides," J. Lightwave Technol., Vol. 11, 1320-1324, 1993. doi:10.1109/50.254090
6. Ishimaru, A., Electromagnetic Propagation, Radiation, and Scattering, Prentice Hall, Englewood Clifffs, N.J., 1991.
7. Cho, W.-C., Waves and Fields in Inhomogeneous Media, Van Norstrand Reinhold, New York, 1990.
8. Zhang, Y., W. Ding, and C. H. Liang, "Study on the optimum virtual topology for MPI based parallel conformal FDTD algorithm on PC clusters," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 19, No. 13, 1817-1831, 2005. doi:10.1163/156939305775696856
9. Hwang, J.-N., "A compact 2-D FDFD method for modeling microstrip structures with nonuniform grids and perfectly matched layer," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 2, 2, 2005. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.844586
10. Zheng, G., A. A. Kishk, A. W. Glisson, and A. B. Yakovlev, "A novel implementation of modified Maxwell's equations in the periodic finite-difference time-domain method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 59, 85-100, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER05092601
11. Hadi, M. F. and S. F. Mahmoud, "Optimizing the compact-FDTD algorithm for electrically large waveguiding structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 75, 253-269, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07060703
12. Chang, H.-W. and S.-M. Wang, "Large-scale hybrid FD-FD method for micro-ring cavities," FWE6, 2005.
13. Fujisawa, T. and M. Koshiba, "A frequency-domain finite element method for modeling of nonlinear optical waveguide discontinuities," IEEE PTL, Vol. 16, No. 1, 2004.
14. Hernandez-Lopez, M. A. and M. Quintillan-Gonzalez, "A. finite element method code to analyse waveguide dispersion," J . of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 21, No. 3, 397-408, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307779367396
15. Ooi, B. L. and G. Zhao, "Element-free method for the analysis of partially-filled dielectric waveguides," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 21, No. 2, 189-198, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307779378772
16. Yamauchi, J., Propagating Beam Analysis of Optical Waveguides, Research Studies Press, Baldock, England, 2003.
17. Scarmozzino, R., A. Gopinath, R. Pregla, and S. Helfert, "Numerical techniques for modeling guided wave photonic devices," IEEE J. of Selected Topics in Quantum Electron., Vol. 6, 150-162, 2000. doi:10.1109/2944.826883
18. Wu, T.-L. and H.-W. Chang, "Guiding mode expansion of a TE and TM transverse-mode integral equation for dielectric slab waveguides with an abrupt termination," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 18, No. 11, 2823-2832, 2001. doi:10.1364/JOSAA.18.002823
19. Chang, H.-W., T.-L. Wu, and M.-H. Sheng, "Vectorial modal analysis of dielectric waveguides based on coupled transversemode integral equation: I-Mathematical formulations," J. Opt. Soc. Amer. A, Vol. 23, 1468-1477, 2006. doi:10.1364/JOSAA.23.001468
20. Chang, H.-W. and T.-L. Wu, "Vectorial modal analysis of dielectric waveguides based on coupled transverse-mode integral equation: II—Numerical analysis," J. Opt. Soc. Amer. A, Vol. 23, 1478-1487, 2006. doi:10.1364/JOSAA.23.001478
21. Itoh, T., Numerical Techniques for Microwave and Millimeter- Wave Passive Structures, Wiley Interscience, Signapore, 1989.
22. Huang, R. F. and D. M. Zhang, "Application of mode matching method to analysis of axisymmetric coaxial discontinuity in permeability permittivity measurement," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 67, 205-230, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER06083103
23. Chang, H.-W. and W.-C. Cheng, "Analysis of dielectric waveguide termination with tilted facets by analytic continuity method," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 21, No. 12, 1621-1630, 2007.
24. Berenger, J.-P., "A perfectly matched layer for the absorption of electromagnetic waves," J. Comput. Phys., Vol. 114, No. 1, 185-200, 1994. doi:10.1006/jcph.1994.1159
25. Yeh, P., Optical Waves in Layered Media, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1991.
26. Sabetfakhri, K. and L. P. B. Katehi, "An integral transform technique for analysis of planar dielectric structures," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 42, 1052-1062, 1994. doi:10.1109/22.293576
27. Sabetfakhri, K. and L. P. B. Katehi, "An integral transform technique for analysis of planar dielectric structures," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 42, 1052-1062, 1994. doi:10.1109/22.293576
28. Tong, M. S., "A stable integral equation solver for electromagnetic scattering by large scatterers with concave surface," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 74, 113-130, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07041506