In this paper we have investigated optical pulse propagation in a dense dispersion managed (DM) optical communication system operating at a speed of 100 Gb/s and more taking into account of the effects of third order dispersion, intra-pulse Raman scattering and self steepening. Using perturbed variational formulation, we have obtained several ordinary differential equations for various pulse parameters. These equations have been solved numerically to identify launching criteria in the first DM cell of the system. Full numerical simulation of the nonlinear Schr¨odinger equation has been employed to identify effects of higher order terms on pulse propagation and to investigate the intra-pulse interaction. The roles played by these higher order linear and nonlinear effects have been identified. It has been found that the shift of the pulse centre due to intra-pulse Raman scattering increases with the increase in the distance of propagation and average dispersion. We have noticed that for higher value of average dispersion pulses travel less distance before collision than for lower average dispersion.
"High Bit Rate Dense Dispersion Managed Optical Communication Systems with Distributed Amplification," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 78, 301-320, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07091305
1. Smith, N. J., F. M. Knox, N. J. Doran, K. J. Blow, and I. Bennion, "Enhanced power soliton in optical fibers with periodic dispersion," Electron. Letts., Vol. 32, 54, 1996. doi:10.1049/el:19960062
2. Mishra, M. and S. Konar, "Interaction of solitons in a dispersion managed optical communication system with asymmetric dispersion map," J. Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 21, 2049, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307783152830
3. Turitsyn, S. K. and E. G. Shapiro, "Disperson managed soliton in optical amplifier transmission systems with zero average dispersion," Optics Letts., Vol. 23, 682, 1998.
4. Carter, G. M., J. M. Jacob, C. R. Menyuk, E. A. Golovehenko, and A. N. Pilipetski, "Timing jitter reduction for a dispersion managed soliton systems: experimental evidence," Optics Letts., Vol. 22, 513-515, 1997.
5. Grigoryan, V. S. and C. R. Menyuk, "Dispersion-managed soliton at normal average dispersion," Opt. Letts., Vol. 23, 609, 1998.
6. Biswas, A., S. Konar, and E. Zerrad, "Soliton-soliton interaction with parabolic law nonlinearity," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, 927, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306776149833
7. Berntson, A., D. Anderson, N. J. Doran, W. Forysiak, and J. H. B. Nijhof, "Power dependence and accessible bandwidth for disperson-managed solitons in asymmetric disperson maps," Electron. Letts., Vol. 34, 2054, 1998. doi:10.1049/el:19980648
8. Berntson, A., N. J. Doran, W. Forysiak, and J. H. B. Nijhof, "The power dependence of dispersion managed solitons for anomalous, zero, and normal path-average dispersion," Opt. Letts., Vol. 23, 900, 1998.
9. Konar, S., J. Kumar, and P. K. Sen, "Suppression of soliton instability by higher order nonlinearity in long haul optical communication systems," J. Nonlinear Optical Physics and Materials, Vol. 8, 497, 1999. doi:10.1142/S0218863599000370
10. Crutcher, S., A. Biswas, M. D. Aggarwal, and M. E. Edwards, "Oscillatory behaviors of spatial solitons in two-dimensional waveguides and stationary temporal power solitons in optical fibers," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, 761, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306776143361
11. Ballav, M. and A. R. Chowdhury, "On a study of diffraction and dispersion managed soliton in a cylindrical media," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 63, 33, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06051601
12. Biswas, A. and S. Konar, "Theory of dispersion-managed optical solitons," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 50, 83, 2005. doi:10.2528/PIER04051301
13. Shwetanshumala, S., A. Biswas, and S. Konar, "Dynamically stable super-gaussian solitons in semiconductor doped glass fibers," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, 901, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306776149833
14. Kurtz, K., "Suppression of fiber nonlinearity by appropriate dispersion management," IEEE Photonics Technology Letts., Vol. 5, 1250, 1993. doi:10.1109/68.248444
15. Tkach, R. W., A. R. Chraplyvy, F. Forghieri, A. H. Gnanck, and R. M. Derosier, "4-photon mixing and high speed WDM systems," J. Lightwave Technolo., Vol. 13, 841, 1995. doi:10.1109/50.387800
16. Smith, N. J., W. Forysiak, and N. J. Doran, "Reduced Gordon Haus jitter due to enhanced power solitons in strongly dispersion managed system," Electronics Letts., Vol. 32, 2085, 1996. doi:10.1049/el:19960023
17. Hasegawa, A. and Y. Kodama, "Guiding centre solitons in optical fibers," Optics Letts., Vol. 15, 1443, 1990.
18. Kodama, Y., A. Maruta, and A Hasegawa, "Long distance communications with solitons," Quantum Optics, Vol. 6, 463, 1994. doi:10.1088/0954-8998/6/6/001
19. Hirooka, T., T. Nakada, and A. Hasegawa, "Feasibility of densly dispersion managed soliton transmission at 160Gb/s," IEEE Trans. Photonics Tech. Letts., Vol. 12, 633, 2000. doi:10.1109/68.817428
20. Richardson, L. J., W. Forysiak, and N. J. Doran, "Dispersion managed solitons propagation in short period dispersion maps," Optics Letts., Vol. 25, 1010, 2000. doi:10.1364/OL.25.000004
21. Maruta, A., Y. Yamamoto, S. Okamoto, A. Suzuki, T. Morita, A. Agata, and A. Hasegawa, "Effectiveness of densly dispersion managed solitons in ultrahigh speed transmission," Electron. Letts., Vol. 36, 1947, 2000. doi:10.1049/el:20000030
22. Tchofo Dinda, P., A. B. Moubissi, and K. Nakkeeran, "Collective variable theory for optical solitons in fibers," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 64, 016608, 2001. doi:10.1103/PhysRevE.64.016608
23. Agrawal, G. P., Nonlinear Fiber Optics, Academic Press, San Diego, 1995.
24. Anderson, D., "Variational approach to nonlinear pulse propagation in optical fibers," Phys. Rev. A, Vol. 27, 3135, 1983. doi:10.1103/PhysRevA.27.3135
25. Konar, S. and S. Jana, "Linear and nonlinear propagation of sinh- Gaussian pulses in dispersive media possessing Kerr nonlinearity," Optics Communication, Vol. 236, 7, 2004. doi:10.1016/j.optcom.2004.03.012
27. Mookherjee, S. and A. Yariv, "Hamiltonian dynamics of breathers with third order dispersion," J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, Vol. 18, 1150-1155, 2001. doi:10.1364/JOSAB.18.001150
28. Liao, Z. M. and G. P. Agrawal, "High bit rate soliton transmission using distributed amplification and dispersion management," IEEE Photonics Tech. Letts., Vol. 11, 818, 1999. doi:10.1109/68.784233
29. Poutrina, E. and G. P. Agrawal, "Timing jitter in dispersion managed soliton systems with distributed, lumped and hybrid amplification," J. Lightwave Technol., Vol. 29, 790, 2002. doi:10.1109/JLT.2002.1007931
30. Yu, T., E. A. Glovchenko, A. N. Pilipetski, and C. R. Menyuk, "Dispersion managed soliton interactions in optical fibers," Opt. Letts., Vol. 22, 793, 1997.