An all-optical microwave generation using a multiwavelength photonic crystal fiber Brillouin laser is presented. A highly nonlinear photonic crystal fiber with the length of 25m is used as Brillouin gain medium. A Fabry-Perot cavity with two fiber Bragg gratings as reflectors are designed in order to enhance the Brillouin conversion efficiency. The fiber Bragg gratings can be used to selectively excite the jth-order Stokes' wave and suppress other order Stokes' waves. The mechanism for microwave/millimeterwave generation is theoretically analyzed. In the experiment, both 9.788 GHz and 19.579 GHz microwave signals are achieved through mixing the pump wave with the first-order and the second-order Stokes' waves.
1. Qiao, S., T. Jiang, L. X. Ran, and K. S. Chen, "Ultra-wide band noise-signal radar utilizing microwave chaotic signals and chaos synchronization," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 8, 1326-1329, 2007. doi:10.2529/PIERS070417101142
2. Georgiadou, E. M., A. D. Panagopoulos, and J. D. Kanellopoulos, "Millimeter wave pulse propagation through distorted raindrops for los fixed wireless access channels," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 20, No. 9, 1235-1248, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306777442953
3. Osipov, A. V., I. T. Iakubov, A. N. Lagarkov, S. A. Maklakov, D. A. Petrov, K. N. Rozanov, and I. A. Ryzhikov, "Multi-layered Fe films for microwave applications," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 8, 1303-1306, 2007. doi:10.2529/PIERS070320070112
4. Bindu, G., A. Lonappan, V. Thomas, C. K. Aanandan, and K. T. Mathew, "Dielectric studies of corn syrup for applications in microwave breast imaging," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 59, 175-186, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER05072801
5. Ku, H. S., "Productivity improvement of composites processing through the use of industrial microwave technologies," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 66, 267-285, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06111901
6. Pourova, M. and J. Vrba, "Analytical solutions to the applicatiors for microwave textile drying by means of zigzag method," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 8, 1204-1207, 2007. doi:10.2529/PIERS070220121009
7. Bauer, S., O. Brox, J. Kreissl, G. Sahin, and B. Sartorius, "Optical microwave source," Electron. Lett., Vol. 38, No. 7, 334-335, 2002. doi:10.1049/el:20020228
8. Biswas, B. N., "Optical generation of mm-wave signal with wide linewidth lasers for broadband communications," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 7, 1058-1063, 2007. doi:10.2529/PIERS060828055517
9. Biswas, B. N., A. Banerjee, A. Mukherjee, and S. Kar, "Lightwave technique of mm-wave generation for broadband mobile commmunication," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 7, 1071-1075, 2007. doi:10.2529/PIERS061004061503
10. Hyodo, M., K. S. Abedin, N. Onodera, and M. Watanabe, "Beatsignal synchronization for optical generation of millimetre-wave signals," Electron. Lett., Vol. 39, No. 24, 1740-1741, 2003. doi:10.1049/el:20031167
11. Wu, J. W. and F. G. Luo, "Generation of high repetition rate picosecond pulse train based on ultra-small silicon waveguide," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 75, 163-170, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07060102
12. Brunel, M., F. Bretenaker, S. Blanc, V. Crozatier, J. Brisset, T. Merlet, and A. Poezevara, "High-spectral purity RF beat note generated by a two frequency solid-state laser in a dual thermooptic and electrooptic phaselocked loop," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol. 16, No. 3, 870-872, 2004. doi:10.1109/LPT.2004.823757
13. Meng, X. J. and J. Menders, "Optical generation of microwave signals using SSB-based frequency-doubling scheme," Electron. Lett., Vol. 39, No. 1, 103-105, 2003. doi:10.1049/el:20030096
14. Sun, J., Y. T. Dai, X. F. Chen, Y. J. Zhang, and S. Z. Xie, "Stable dual-wavelength DFB fiber laser with separate resonant cavities and its application in tunable microwave generation," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 24, 2587-2589, 2006. doi:10.1109/LPT.2006.887336
15. Leng, J. S., Y. C. Lai, W. Zhang, and J. A. R. Williams, "A new method for microwave generation and data transmission using DFB laser based on fiber Bragg gratings," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 16, 1729-1731, 2006. doi:10.1109/LPT.2006.879925
16. Kitayama, K. I., "Highly stabilized millimeter wave generation by using fiber-optic frequency-tunable comb generator," J. Lightw. Technol., Vol. 15, No. 5, 883-893, 1997. doi:10.1109/50.580832
17. Deng, Z. C. and J. P. Yao, "Photonic generation of microwave signal using a rational harmonic mode-locked fiber ring laser," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 2, 763-767, 2006. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.862624
18. Chen, X. F., Z. C. Deng, and J. P. Yao, "Photonic generation of microwave signal using a dual-wavelength single-longitudinalmode fiber ring laser," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 2, 804-809, 2006. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.863064
19. Schneider, T. and M. Junker, "and D. Hannover. Generation of millimetre-wave signals by stimulated Brillouin scattering for radio over fibre systems," Electron. Lett., Vol. 40, No. 23, 1500-1502, 2004. doi:10.1049/el:20046461
20. Smith, S. P., F. Zarinetchi, and S. Ezekiel, "Narrow-linewidth stimulated Brillouin fiber laser and applications," Opt. Lett., Vol. 16, No. 6, 393-395, 1991.
21. Yao, X. S., "High-quality microwave signal generation by use of brillouin scattering in optical fibers," Opt. Lett., Vol. 22, No. 17, 1329-1331, 1997.
22. Shen, Y. C., X. M. Zhang, and K. S. Chen, "All-optical generation of microwave/millimeter-wave using a two-frequency Bragg grating based Brillouin fiber laser," J. Lightw. Technol., Vol. 23, No. 5, 1860-1865, 2005. doi:10.1109/JLT.2005.846910
23. Shen, Y. C., X. M. Zhang, and K. S. Chen, "Optical single sideband modulation of 11-GHz RoF system using stimulated Brillouin scattering," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol. 17, No. 6, 1277-1279, 2005. doi:10.1109/LPT.2005.846491
24. Guenneau, S., A. Nicolet, F. Zolla, and S. Lasquellec, "Numerical and theoretical study of photonic crystal fibers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 41, 271-305, 2003.
25. Song, W., Y. Y. Zhao, Y. Bao, S. G. Li, Z. Y. Zhang, and T. F. Xu, "Numerical simulation and analysis on mode property of photonic crystal fiber with high birefringence by fast multipole method," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 6, 836-841, 2007. doi:10.2529/PIERS060910211527
26. de Matos, C. J. S., J. R. Taylor, and K. P. Hansen, "All-fibre Brillouin laser based on holey fibre yielding comb-like spectra," Opt. Commun., Vol. 238, No. 1-3, 185-189, 2004. doi:10.1016/j.optcom.2004.04.031
27. Singh, S. P., R. Gangwar, and N. Singh, "Nonlinear scattering effects in optical fibers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 74, 379-405, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07051102
28. Crutcher, S., A. Biswas, M. D. Aggarwal, and M. E. Edwards, "Oscillatory behavior of spatial solitons in tow-dimensional waveguides and stationary temporal power law solitons in optical fibers," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 20, No. 6, 761-772, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306776143361
29. Singh, S. P. and N. Singh, "Nonlinear effects in optical fibers: Origin, management, and applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 73, 249-275, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07040201
30. Ogusu, K., "Analysis of steady-state cascaded stimulated Brillouin scattering in a fiber Fabry-Perot resonator," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol. 14, No. 7, 947-949, 2002. doi:10.1109/LPT.2002.1012394