A simple and inexpensive method for the qualitative characterization of wood surfaces is presented. It is based on the iterative autocorrelation of laser speckle patterns produced by diffuse laser illumination of the wood surfaces.The method exploits the high spatial frequency content of speckle images. A similar approach with raw conventional photographs taken with ordinary light would be very difficult. A few iterations of the algorithm are necessary, typically three or four, in order to visualize the most important periodic features of the surface. The processed patterns help in the study of surface parameters, to design new scattering models and to classify the wood species.
Juan-Antonio Martinez-RojasJesus Alpuente-HermosillaEstefania BolivarPablo-Luis Lopez-EspiSantiago VignoteMartinez Rojas
, "Empirical Characterization of Wood Surfaces by Means of Iterative Autocorrelation of Laser Speckle Patterns.," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 80, 295-306, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07112706 http://www.jpier.org/PIER/pier.php?paper=07112706
1. Dain ty, J. C. (ed.), Laser Speckle and Related Phenomena, Springer-Verlag, 1975.
2. Kjell, J. G., Optical metrology, 3rd edition, John Wiley & Sons, 2002.
3. Hamed, A.M., H.El-Ghando or, F.El-Diast y, and M.Saudy, "Analysis of speckle images to assess surface roughness," Optics and Laser Technology, Vol. 36, 249-253, 2004. doi:10.1016/j.optlastec.2003.09.005
4. Eb erhardsteiner, J., "Biaxial testing of orthropic materials using electronic speckle pattern interferometry," Measurement, Vol. 16, 139-148, 1995. doi:10.1016/0263-2241(95)00019-4
5. Rastogi, P. K., "Determination of surface strains by speckle shear photography," Optics and Lasers in Engineering, Vol. 29, 103-116, 1998. doi:10.1016/S0143-8166(97)00079-1
7. Mohan, N. K. and P. Rastogi, "Recent developments in digital speckle pattern interferometry," Optics and Lasers in Engineering, Vol. 40, 439-445, 2003. doi:10.1016/S0143-8166(02)00139-2
8. Molin, N. E., M. Sjodahl, P. Gren, and A. Svanbro, "Speckle photography combined with speckle interferometry," Optics and Lasers in Engineering, Vol. 41, 673-686, 2004. doi:10.1016/S0143-8166(02)00175-6
9. Simonaho, S.P ., J. Palviainen, Y. Tolonen, and R. Silvennoinen, "Determination of wood grain direction from laser light scattering pattern," Optics and Lasers in Engineering, Vol. 41, 95-103, 2004. doi:10.1016/S0143-8166(02)00144-6
10. Wahl, P., A. Hanhijarvi, and R. Silvennoinen, "Investigation of microcracks in wood with laser speckle intensity," Optical Engineering, Vol. 40, 788-792, 2001. doi:10.1117/1.1358297
12. Go odman, W. J., Introduction to Fourier Optics, 3rd edition, Roberts & Company Publishers, 2004.
13. Cocheril, Y. and R. Vauzelle, "A new ray-tracing based wave propagation model including rough surfaces scattering," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 75, 357-381, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07061202
14. Du, Y. and J.A.Kong, "Application of the stochastic seconddegree iterative method to EM scattering from randomly rough surfaces," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 5, 2007.
15. Yan, W.Z., L. X. Xu, Y. Du, F. Sheng, Z. N. Li, and J.A.Kong, "A two-scale model for composite rough surface scattering," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 5, 2007. doi:10.2529/PIERS061113040537
16. Chen, K.-S., L. Tsang, and J. C. Shi, "Microwave emission from two dimensional inhomogeneous dielectric rough surfaces based on physics-based two-grid method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 67, 181-203, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER06082903
17. Oraizi, H. and S. Hosseinzadeh, "A novel marching algorithm for radiowave propagation modeling over rough surfaces," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 57, 85-100, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER05051001
18. Edee, K., G. Granet, R. Dussaux, and C. Baudier, "A hybrid method for the study of plane waves scattering by rough surfaces," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 18, No. 8, 2004. doi:10.1163/1569393042955423
19. Fung, A. K. and N. K. Kuo, "Backscattering from multi-scale and exponentially correlated surfaces," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 1, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306775777378
20. Yan, L. P ., K. M. Huang, and C. J. Liu, "A noninvasive method for determining dielectric properties of layered tissues on human back," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 13, 2007.
21. Lonappan, A., G. Bindu, V. Thomas, and J. Jacob, "Diagnosis of diabetes mellitus using microwaves," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 10, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307783239429
22. Lonappan, A., V. Thomas, and G. Bindu, "Nondestructive measurement of human blood at microwave frequencies," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 8, 2007.
23. Drogoudis, D. G., G. A. Kyriacou, and J. N. Sahalos, "A sensitivity matrix based microwave tomography exploiting an adjoint network theorem," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 8, 2007. doi:10.2529/PIERS070220140417
24. Xanthis, C.G., P. M. Bonovas, and G. A. Kyriacou, "Inverse problem of ECG for different equivalent cardiac sources," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 8, 2007. doi:10.2529/PIERS070220144924
25. Fiala, P., E. Kroutilova, M. Steinbauer, M. Hadinec, and K. Bartusek, "Inversion reconstruction of signals measured by the NMR techniques," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 8, 2007.
26. Chen, C., K. M. Jacobs, J. Q. Lu, R. E. Cuenca, J. Finley, and X. H. Hu, "In vivo measurement and modelling of multispectral reflectance images for melanoma diagnosis," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 6, 2007.
27. Kuramoto, A., A. Hori, and I. Fujieda, "Laser speckle imaging of a finger by scattered light optics," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 6, 2007. doi:10.2529/PIERS061205111423
28. Bachorec, T., T.Jirku, and J.Dedk ova, "New numerical technique for non-destructive testing of the conductive materials," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 5, 2007. doi:10.2529/PIERS061006093457