The interaction between a dipole antenna,represen ting a simplified model of a mobile terminal,and a homogeneous spherical model of the human head is examined. The Finite Difference Time Domain (FDTD) method is utilized,to calculate the either peak or average value of the Specific Absorption Rate (SAR),corresp onding to different distances between antenna and phantom. The variation of the SAR with the distance between the mobile antenna and the human phantom has gained significant attention in the recent literature and is investigated here. An attempt to correlate the computed SAR values with the basic antenna characteristics,suc h as the standing wave ratio (SWR),rev eals that a precise estimation of the level of the SAR can be achieved regarding data acquired from the mobile terminal.
1. Gandhi, O. P., G. Lazzi, and C. M. Furse, "Electromagnetic absorption in the human head and neck for mobile telephones at 835 and 1900 MHz," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 44, No. 10, 1884-1897, 1996. doi:10.1109/22.539947
2. Watanabe, S., M. Taki, T. Nojima, and O. Fujiwara, "Characteristics of the SAR distributions in a head exposed to electromagnetic fields radiated by a hand-held portable radio," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 44, No. 10, 1874-1883, 1996. doi:10.1109/22.539946
3. Drossos, A., V. Santomaa, and N. Kuster, "Thedependenceofelectromagneticenergyabsorptionuponhumanheadtissuecompositioninthefrequencyrangeof300-3000MHz," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 48, No. 11, 1988-1995, 2000. doi:10.1109/22.884187
4. Khalatbari, S., D. Sardari, A. A. Mirzaee, and H. A. Sadafi, Calculating SAR in two models of the human head exposed to mobile phones radiations at 900 and 1800 MHz, Progress In Electromagnetics Research Symposium, 26-29, 2006.
5. Shin, C. S., D. G. Choi, and N. Kim, In ternal monopole antenna design for multi-band operation and SAR analysis, Progress In Electromagnetics Research Symposium, 22-26, 2005.
6. Okoniewski, M. and M. A. Stuchly, "A study of the handset antenna and human body interaction," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 44, No. 10, 1855-1864, 1996. doi:10.1109/22.539944
7. Chuang, H. R., "Human operator coupling effects on radiation characteristics of a portable communication dipole antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 42, No. 4, 556-560, 1994. doi:10.1109/8.286229
8. Toftgard, J., S. N. Hornsleth, and J. B. Andersen, "Effects on portable antennas of the presence of a person," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 41, No. 6, 739-746, 1993. doi:10.1109/8.250451
9. Lazzi, G., S. S. Pattnaik, and O. P. Gandhi, "Exp erimental and FDTD-computed radiation patterns of cellular telephones held in slanted operational conditions," IEEE Trans. on Electromagn. Compatibility, Vol. 41, No. 2, 141-144, 1999. doi:10.1109/15.765103
10. Yang, F., V. Demir, D. A. Elsherbeni, and A. Z. Elsherbeni, "Enhancement of printed dipole antennas characteristics using semi-EBG ground plane," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 20, No. 8, 993-1006, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306776930330
11. Ding, W., Y. Zhang, P . Y. Zhu, and C. H. Liang, "Study on electromagnetic problems involving combinations of arbitrarily oriented thin-wire antennas and inhomogeneous dielectric objects with a hybrid MOM-FDTD method," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 20, No. 11, 1519-1533, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779274255
12. Kuo, L.-C., Y.-C. Kan, and H.-R. Chuang, "Analusis of a 900/1800-Mhz dual-band gap loop antenna on a handset with proximate head and hand model," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 21, No. 1, 107-122, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307779391722
13. Ali, M. and S. Sanyal, "A numerical investigation of finite ground planes and reflector effects on monopole antenna factor using FDTD technique," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 21, No. 10, 1379-1392, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307783239410
14. Sarraf, R., R. Moini, S. H. H. Sadeghi, and A. Farschtschi, Calculation of EM characteristics of a cellular phone handset by time-domain MoM, Progress In Electromagnetics Research Symposium, 27-30, 2007.
15. Kuster, N. and Q. Balzano, "Energy absorption mechanism by biological bodies in the near field of dipole antennas above 300 MHz," IEEE Trans. Vehicular Technol., Vol. 41, No. 1, 17-23, 1992. doi:10.1109/25.120141
16. King, R. W. P., "Electromagnetic field generated in model of human head by simplified telephone transceiver," Radio Science, Vol. 30, No. 1, 267-281, 1995. doi:10.1029/94RS00510
17. Riu, P . J. and K. R. Foster, "Heating of tissue by near-field exposure to a dipole: A model analysis," IEEE Trans. Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 46, No. 8, 911-917, 1999. doi:10.1109/10.775400
18. Dimbilow, P . J. and S. W. Mann, "SAR calculations in an anatomically realistic model of the head for mobile communication transceivers at 900MHz and 1.8 GHz," Phys. Med. Biol., Vol. 39, 1537-1553, 1994. doi:10.1088/0031-9155/39/10/003
19. Dimbilow, P . J., "FDTD calculations of the SAR for a dipole closely coupled to the head at 900MHz and 1.9 GHz," Phys. Med. Biol., Vol. 38, 361-368, 1993. doi:10.1088/0031-9155/38/3/003
20. Hombach, V., K. Meier, M. Burkhardt, E. Kuhn, and N. Kuster, "The dependence of EM energy absorption upon human head modeling at 900 MHz," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 44, No. 10, 1865-1873, 1996. doi:10.1109/22.539945
21. Meier, K., V. Hombach, R. Kastle, R. Y. S. Tay, and N. Kuster, "The dependence of electromagnetic energy absorption upon human head modeling at 1800 MHz," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory. Techn., Vol. 45, No. 11, 2058-2062, 1997. doi:10.1109/22.644237
22. Faraone, A., Q. Balzano, and D. Simunic, Exp erimental dosimetry in a sphere of simulated brain tissue near a half-wave dipole antenna, Proc. IEEE Int. Symp. Electromagn. Compat., 906-911, 1998.
23. Chen, H. Y. and H. H. Wang, "Curren t and SAR induced in a human head model by the electromagnetic fields irradiated from a cellular phone," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 42, No. 12, 2249-2254, 1994. doi:10.1109/22.339749
24. Stuchly, M. A., R. J. Spiegel, S. S. Stuchly, and A. Kraszewski, "Exposure of man in the near-field of a resonant dipole: comparison between theory and measurements," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 34, No. 1, 26-31, 1986. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1986.1133276
25. Taflove, A., Computational Electrodynamics: The Finite Difference Time Domain Method, Artec h House, Norw ood, MA, 1995.
26. Niikura, K., R. Kokubo, K. Southisombath, H. Matsui, and T. Wakabayashi, "On analysis of planar antennas using FDTD method," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 7, 1019-1023, 2007. doi:10.2529/PIERS061002234141
27. Gorodetsky, D. A. and P. A. Wilsey, Reduction of FDTD simulation time with modal methods, Progress In Electromagnetics Research Symposium, 26-29, 2006.
28. Fayedeh, H., C. Ghobadi, and J. Nourinia, "An improvement for FDTD analysis of thin-slot problems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 15-25, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07102907
29. Sha, W., X. Wu, and M. Chen, "A diagonal split-cell model for the high-order symplectic FDTD scheme," PIERS Online, Vol. 2, No. 6, 715-719, 2006. doi:10.2529/PIERS060903035033
30. Tang, L. and T. S. Ibrahim, "On the radio-frequency power requirements of human MRI," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 6, 886-889, 2007. doi:10.2529/PIERS061007225757
31. Li, Y. H. and W. B. Dou, "BOR-FDTD analysis of spherical lens multi-beam antenna," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 7, 1111-1113, 2007. doi:10.2529/PIERS060924092054
32. Chai, W., X. Zhang, and J. Liu, "A novel wideband antenna design using U-slot," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 7, 1067-1070, 2007. doi:10.2529/PIERS060904224039
33. McPherson, G., Statistics in Scientific Investigation, Springer- Verlag, New York, 1990.
34. CENELEC, EN 50383: Basic standard for the calculation, EN 50383: Basic standard for the calculation and measurement of electromagnetic field strength and SAR related to human exposure from radio base stations and fixed terminal stations for wireless telecommunication systems (110 MHz-40 GHz), 2002., 2002.
35. Fang, J. and Z. Wu, "Generalized perfectly matched layer for the absorption of propagating and evanescent waves in lossless and lossy media," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 44, No. 12, 2216-2222, 1996. doi:10.1109/22.556449